Collodi crew - monochrome experiment

Cyphre

I recently came across some very cool images of some monochrome painted Noir minis. I was blown away by how cool they looked and thought it would be an excellent idea for the Collodi crew I had just purchased. I thought they would look menacing and scary.

So after finishing the Marionettes and Collodi I sent an image to my friend to see what he thought about them. He was not impressed and basically agree with my daughter that it was the worst he had seen me paint.

My girlfriend - being supportive as ever - has said that I should paint them to my liking, but it has still got me thinking whether this is a good idea. So I thought I would ask on these forums.

So please be honest is this cool or a really bad idea.

20140414_092706_zps41a93756.jpg

I like them, but honestly, if you are going for monochrome, maybe a pure white here and there to just make it pop, say on buttons or bells?  I like the different grays you have used to make the highlights look very nice.   I like the red in the eyes as well, it gives it just enough color.  

I can see why some might find it boring, but I think it is a welcome change to the norm.

I love the method behind the madness but I have to agree they kind of look a little boring at the moment. They need something to make the really pop and stand out. I second Ryoken's comments about a really bright white to highlight certain edges/details to add more contrast from the all the black and grey. Keep at it though! It's always worth going against the grain, and look at it this way. If you aren't happy with them when you are done at least they have white,grey and black already there, they are already primed for colours!  :lol:

Cheers for the feedback guys!

In truth the claws and buttons have been highlighted with a very ligth grey and that does stand out, but the image does not really show that.

I thought about perhaps adding a purple color to a single item on each miniature, but I'm not sure.

Hi Cyphre,

I think they look great and it's always cool to see something different.

Before making any changes to them, I'd be inclined to base them up and then see what you think of them. The basing is likely to give them a different feel as well.

Cheers,

Woo.

agreed,.. they look nice but a little bland. Higher highlights will help,.. but I would suggest watching some old black and white movies. You'll notice that it isn't just black and white,.. but a 1000 different subtle shades of grey. (what should be green (tree leaves etc) shows up as one shade of grey,.. the brown tree trunk as another grey,.. the red scarf the hero is wearing is yet another shade of grey,..etc,..) These small variations will add life to the pieces.

I really like this idea, myself. 

I love the look and would recommend doing a single color on each model to draw the eyes and really make the models wow.

For me: I'd free hand red tears of blood streaking off of Collodi's face from his eyes and maybe splash it on the Marionettes as blood splatters, spots, or stains or give them red eyes. 

What colors did you use for what you have so far?