Help to Choose: Seamus or McMourning

tirbar

EDITED: I´m posting this topic here because I did it in a wrong sub-forum earlier.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-.

Hi all! (sorry for my bad english..)

I´m starting in MX and I´m decided to play with Ressers, but not sure about the master: I like Seamus and Mc Mourning for different reasons, but I also have some doubts on both of them. So, I´d like to have your advice about which one would be more Competitive and more kindred to my way of play; considering this facts:

1 . Competition

In my gaming Club I´ll mainly have to face: 1. Lady Justice 2. Victorias  3. Ten Thunders (Misaki) 4. Nicodem 

2 . My gaming style

I like Ressers for affinity (creepy… jeje) and the game history. Talking about style, I´d like to combine summoning and melee. This is where doubts come to my mind, for example:

Seamus Pros: He´s a decent melee guy and have a simple kind of summonings. Fun to play for what I´ve seen. 

Seamus Cons: Like his history, but not that much.. Don´t like to much the "attack and run" style…

Mc Mourning Pros: LOVE his history and miniatures! =) 

Mc Mourning Cons: Poison Based Strategy… This is the main reason why I still having doubts on him. Feel like the poison technic is quite complex and boring to play; don´t like the idea of being poisoning around, waiting for the enemies to die and escaping meanwhile.. What if my opponent can make a full "Poison Immune" crew? …

Well, this is the question. As a note, we are ok to play with proxys, so there´s no problem about how many and which miniatures I´d need to get  for each one. I just want to decide based on this two points; all opinions are welcome! Thanks in advance guys =)

Play McM and own (but don't really play) Seamus. The Doctor is a wonderful amount of fun, but for your points:

- For summoning, he's even more limited than Seamus. He'll probably be summoning a Flesh Construct almost once a game and potentially also some undead dogs or a Rogue Necromancy with the Wave 2 generic upgrade (and he's the best in a position to use it, because he doesn't used Corpse Counters elsewise).

- For poison-based things... eh, he can hold his own against those sort of crews. If you're looking to summon and are worried about condition removal, get the poison on a cheap, low Wd thing like a totem, and summon it the same activation it's poisoned. If you're worried about sheer immunities, there is a model for that (the effigy, I think?). Outside of that, you can always kill your own models for an upgrade, but truth be said, I use the man for his raw speed. He can push up to 5" at the beginning of his activation and the end of the round using "That's the Stuff," which is monstrous. It's helpful for objective grabbing, picking off the lone model, or simply getting McM out of harm's way. Also, resser models tend to hold together well on their own separate from their leaders, so you could always take heavy hitters that don't care about poison and just have fun (Killjoy, Bete, etc.).

- You're gonna be facing a lot of melee it looks like, be wary of one-activation kill, and be mindful of your SS count. If you want to melee with Nico, just poison push through his undead horde, maybe turning one of his wounded summons into a flesh construct, and then toast. Never played against LJ, but I would assume that she's got some good tricks against either McM or Seamus. I wouldn't one-on-one her, but McM+Flesh Construct could be > Lady Justice. Also even though the man doesn't have as much synergy with belles... just take one or two. Never, never hurts.

Seamus.

He has the Hat.

He has the Undead Hookers.

He loves to play with Nurses, another great model rules wise and sculpt wise.

Did I mention the Hat and Hookers?

Seriously onto your points.

1: Seamus can survive a dedicated full bore round of combat, and perhaps 2 depending on how you build your crew, from Blood Vik and Lady J. I've used him as the wall that breaks the tidal wave that is blood vii many times. 

2: Playstyle, well here I'd recommend you proxy and play both, because they doth can be played multiple ways, and really its how they feel when you are playing that is going to make the biggest difference.

If you are looking for a Melee beater along the lines of Lady J, McMorning is going to be the closest Ressers have, but even he does it differently than she does.

While Seamus certainly can melee brawl, you aren't going to just slash and kill through raw power the opponent's models. You'll be hoping to hit them and kill them outright with triggers from himself, Sybelle, or the CCK. You'll be using him to drop scheme markers to lock up VP and hold models next to him so they can't get away and do other things, if you want to go Melee version.

McMorning is a beatstick master, and poison for him is more complicated than "I attack, I do dmg" but it isn't that complicated. You also, in general won't be poisoning things up and then waiting for turns for something to die. That will happen, but it isn't McMornings focus. You'll poison them up, and then run sebastian next to them, so they take 3 dmg at the start of their activation, and 3 dmg at the end of the turn.

You'll be transfusing or placing massive stacks of poison on them, and then expunging it for one massive hit. I've had Seamus smacked for 9+ dmg on one casting before, (Thank god I had the Hat, I've mentioned the hat right?)

And you'll just be cutting through armor and Hard to Wound.

McMorning is also good at scheme manipulation, as Seamus is good at control (Think the Color Blue in Magic).

Honestly they are both good, and both are solidly competitive, as far as can be seen this early in the release cycle.

I'd play both via proxies for a few games and see what you can make of them.

Who calls the game MX?

jeje .-.sorry for that Grim . Just a short way we use here .-..

Thanks for the advice guys. I´ll try both as you recommend and see what happens...

If you don´t mind, I´ll probably make some questions during the nexts weeks  :D  :D  :D

Interestingly, the boxed set of the other would be high on my list as a first add on no matter which one you end up choosing. I mean, you could buy just the Belles for McMourning or just the Nurses for Seamus, but by buying the box you get great variation and those boxes mix and match very well.

Also I've been experimenting with different henchmen in different lists. Really we have a VERY competent stable of them that can really serve any of our masters. 

Honestly I'd say get a proxy game or two in with McMourning, then take the plunge if you like the play style (you'd mentioned you loved the models more). Plan to get Seamus shortly after and get his belles and Sybelle on the table with McMourning.

jeje .-.sorry for that Grim . Just a short way we use here .-..

Thanks for the advice guys. I´ll try both as you recommend and see what happens...

If you don´t mind, I´ll probably make some questions during the nexts weeks  :D  :D  :D

no don't apologize. I really am serious in finding out if people call it MX and I didn't get the memo :)

I bought McMourning and a box of Belles first, and have absolutely loved playing it. However, could I suggest that maybe if finances allow, buying both crew boxes? Seamus can use the Nurses and dog from the McM set, and McMourning does very well with a couple of Belles on board, so even if you never play one of the masters you're only down two models or so.