A silly tip for slow painters

Math Mathonwy

I'm a relatively slow painter. I love to try new things on the field but hate to use unpainted minis. So here's a silly solution.

1. Undercoat white.
  2. Paint the base.
  3. Thin down a black wash and go over the whole mini.
  4. Paint maybe a detail (weapon, face) or two.

This makes for a mini that looks pretty nice on the battle field and also forms a very nice base for eventual further painting. And it takes very little time. I've found the new Malifaux plastics especially good for this since there's so much detail.

Here's Izamu (I should add a grass tuft to make the base more interesting):

200w5te.jpg

And here's a Venetian Noble from the game Carnevale:

2ut14sh.jpg

• Like 5

I think your two pictures illustrates how it can work for some miniatures and not at all for others. The noble looks like a guy in white clothes, the samurai just looks unpainted. Even if you painted a few details on the samurai I think he still would look unpainted, unless he is some kind of ghost, but then I think it would be more effective to wash him with colour.

• Like 1

I think your two pictures illustrates how it can work for some miniatures and not at all for others. The noble looks like a guy in white clothes, the samurai just looks unpainted. Even if you painted a few details on the samurai I think he still would look unpainted, unless he is some kind of ghost, but then I think it would be more effective to wash him with colour.

Can't say that I disagree. Two things come to mind.

For Izamu, I really should paint his weapons and, especially, the arrows sticking out of him since they are obviously from a "different source" compared to the rest of the mini, which, I suppose, could be white ("the white samurai" ;)).

Second, my main point was that this forms a nice base for further painting, doesn't take much time and yet looks way, way better than just an undercoated mini. Or at least I think so.

But I do agree with you that for some models it makes for a way more "ready" look than for others.

Second, my main point was that this forms a nice base for further painting, doesn't take much time and yet looks way, way better than just an undercoated mini. Or at least I think so.

Yeah....this is the main part of it. You can do this quick and they look better than just primed or bare plastic. Then you can take your time painting them later.

And I think Izamu looks pretty cool like that.

• Like 1