Lack of Last Blossoms?

The Zinc Lich

I'm curious, then; what IS the worst 5ss minion choice? Even if we agree that the Oiran is situationally useful, someone has to be the worst, and I can't think of anything lower on the totem poll.

Once the TT Bros start making the rounds as defensive pieces for 5ss, the last niche where the Oiran is getting used is going to disappear.

Worst 5ss model in the game? That's easy..... Karina. My lord she sucks. 

Worst 5ss minion? Well that's probably a little harder to say but I agree the Oiran are certainly a contender. 

I used the final 10 T bros for the first time recently and they are certainly golden, their stance dance gives them a huge amount of flexibility. Only time I feel it's relevant to reach for an Oiran is when I fear wp shenanigans mostly and maybe for budget smoke and shadows. I mean, yeah, she is hardish to take down but doesn't really have a toolbox that DEMANDS attention.

I feel this depends what you are trying to do. If you are faced with a heavy marker dependent pool I think Oiran are really useful with Smoke and Shadows. For me they are great for flank marker shenanigans - i.e. out on the flank there is no easy way to get to them. Which means most games I think you'll get good mileage out of running one of them.

I'd say that the model I least reach for these days is the Rail Workers. They only bring semi-reasonable damage output to the table with limited durability, low mobility and no utility. They have a nice 2" melee range but they are pretty easy to remove.

IMHO everything else in TT has it uses including the Oiran. For me TT brothers are probably the best though as they have such great utility. I use one or two mixed in with whatever the pool/opponent demands

I too have gotten a fair amount of mileage out of Oiran.  +1 WP alone is great if the opponent declares ressers or neverborn.  It's a solid support model that does a lot of things.  It's more mobile than people give it credit for.  It's got Lure.  No, I'm not gonna bring 8 of them in a list but in 10T or Outcasts I never do.

• 3 weeks later...

My Oiran has killed more than a few models, and tanked Huggy for three turns. Not to mention ruling the battlefield in the one Shindig we played. ;)

They're not any one thing. Like Torakage, their value comes from their versatility. Lure if you happen to have the high suit. Move around providing a WP buff (key against, say, Pandora). Defensive stance and cover if you need to drop objectives or just want to make people come after you.

And, if a minion does happen to engage you, the sharp bits *do* kill stuff, especially 5-6 Wd models. A silurid was rather surprised that his objective-running days came to an end; like that.

Don't expect them to Lure like a master nor tank like one. But for a low cost, they can be pretty useful.

Maybe skip 'em if you're playing Reckoning, though.