Looking to start playing...

SHOELESSJOE

The Rulebook, a crew box of your choice (pick one that is aesthetically pleasing to you, or if there is a playstyle you prefer, forum members can easily make recommendations) a Fate Deck (or a deck of normal playing cards can be used if you don't mind "translating" the suits), and some 30 mm markers (30mm bases will work, bit do will paper discs with the same diameter).

If you are getting crew box with metal models, or an earlier pressing of a plastic crew that was made prior to the 2.0 rules switch), you might also need an "arsenal deck", with the updated stat cards

Welcome to Malifaux, you won't regret taking it up...;)

I'd personally recommend the big rulebook as it also contains all the stats and rules for all the "wave 1" models. This will give you a great grounding in what's out there, which can help you decide on what you want to play and what you'll be up against. And to be honest, it's worth it just for the artwork and all the little narratives...;)

You can also download all of wave 2 rules from here. With this and the rulebook you've got all rules apart from Avatars, which are still in beta so you don't need to worry about them yet.

Have fun!

I'd personally recommend the big rulebook as it also contains all the stats and rules for all the "wave 1" models. This will give you a great grounding in what's out there, which can help you decide on what you want to play and what you'll be up against. 

So does the little one I think? All it's missing is the fluff portion?

Where are you living?  I ask because it is often helpful to find other players or even henchmen in your area.  Local help can be much more useful than forum help.  Not that forum help is bad, but local help can do things like let you borrow crews to try, walk you through rules and such, and generally give you a reason to keep at it.

• 3 weeks later...