Spawn Mother any good?

Ikvar

Greetings everyone!

I have been looking at a list with Spawn Mother, but the more I think about it, the less I understand her. If I understand her abillities correctly, she cant use Lay Eggs and Nesting poll together, so lets say you use the first two turns to lay eggs, then use the third to hatch them with Lay Eggs seeing as you would need an absolute minimum of 2rounds to get some schemes done... thats a lot of time for a 9ss model to just sit back, only to hatch 2 Gupps?

- But as always I am sure I have missed the point with the model, so please enlightened me if you can ^^

I have tried to make a list with her, and it would be wonderful if you guys could comment on it, even though I am well aware that list building is a stupid thing in this game- it is just to get a generel idea of what I would do with her:

Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

Zoraida -- 4 Pool
 +Animal Shape [2]
 +Hex Bag [1]

Bad Juju [8]
 +Eternal Fiend [2]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
Nekima [13]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
Nurse [6]
Silurid [7]/Waldergiest [6]?
Spawn Mother [9]

So I would throw Nekima and Bad Juju in the face of my opponent, keeping them busy while the mother lays some eggs, and Zoraida does her thing with the Voodoo doll and nurse as support- trying to get the Hem and paralyze combo on a strong model.
Im not really sure if I should use the last SS on a Waldergeist for tanking, or Silurid for quick scheme markers... or something entirely different maybe?

I've been eyeing a SM-lead spawmfiend list for some time:

Spawn Mother Leading

1 - [Protect the Young] - To hire SF's outside of faction

1 -  [Hexed Among you] - To deploy later

Bad Juju - Heavy Hitter with Use SS

2 - [Eternal Fiend] - for unburying and eternal Jujunation

8 - McTavish - Ranged Support with Use SS

8-12 - 2-3 Guppies - To be annoying and boost McTavish's ranged duels

6-12 - 1-2 Waldgeists - For LOS blocking and trapping opponents.

7-14 - 1-2 Silurids - For more mobility

6-12 - 1-2 Wild Boars - To control scemish markers and do some damage

Protect the young also provides the SM with critical strike, which helps her. Haven't played with this yet, but I think it'd be fun. Basic idea is that I want my entire crew to deploy after yours. With Hexed among you, that's three SF's, Bad Juju does it with his own upgrade, and each Wild Boar does that. It is entirely plausible to deploy completely after your opponent at all different points around the board. Tack in the Wave Three Neverborn upgrade "The Mimic's Blessing" to make it so that people have to get in your face to affect you, and you can have some fun.

That said, for SM specifically... I do wish she could get a bit more out of her summoning, but I could see her plopping out an Egg Marker/turn the first 4 turns and then dying on the fifth to give you plenty of new slowed activations (i.e., scheme markers) wherever there were EMarkers. And Nourish the Young can give any of your crew within 6" +2Cg... Imagine a well-placed Waldgeist with a 12" threat range or a Silurid that can leap 9" before charging another 7/9" (threat of 9/11'). The Wild Boars with +2Cg seem pretty silly as well.

It's not the greatest thing in the world, but I think there are tricks to be had here. The list above is mostly dealing with a SM-led crew though. I can't speak to Zoraida as I don't play her, but maybe this will help a bit?

I think you need to re-read from the shadows.

You don't deploy after all other deployment has finished. If you end up deploying first, you deploy your regular crew, then you deploy your from the shadows guys, then I deploy my crew.

It's a rule that has changed a lot from the old edition while retaining the same name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Zoraida -- 4 Pool  45 Points

+1 Hexed Among you

+1   Hex Bag

Bad Juju [8]       

+Eternal Fiend [2]

+Fears Given Form [1]

Silurid [7]            

Silurid [7]

Gupp[4]

Gupp[4]

Spawn Mother [9]

+Fears Given Form [1]

• This is the list I ran in the beginners tournament as my first three games of Malifaux. I found that I utilized Zoriedas Obey ability to further my own goals and or force the spawn mother to lay down schemes. I ran Bad Ju Ju buried and used Hexed among you to fling 2 slurid's and a gupp far enough forward  in order to force you to react to the threat. If not then i had free rain to place schemes. If you did react and killed or buried any of them Bad Ju Ju came into play. And thanks to the Gupps hatching it allows Bad Ju Ju to keep on playing in the muck! I used the spawn mother to lay eggs and place schemes for the first two turns and then your really only paying 1 stone for her when the gupps hatch. On third turn I would usually use her to inflict as much damage as possible making her the new threat so she would be killed therefore hatching my eggs to grab scheme tokens she placed earlier. Again I'm new and my only miniature experience is GW so i may see things a little differently. However I am pleased to say that Malifaux has successfully entangled me and I am working on my 4th crew with only playing 3 games lol I look forward to playing more in the future!

•  

• 3 years later...

Hello.

I have not use her yet so take my opinion with a little salt. Now she is 8ss and she needs a suited 6 to lay an egg. One use could be to use her at a flank since she can fight againsts scheme runners or weaker models. She lays 2 eggs in the first 2 or 3 turns. Then a wil o wisp or her hatces the eggs. So even if she dies you have 2 gupps at turn 3 or 4 for late schemes like take prisoner or breakthrought. I dont think she is great by any means but she can probably accomplish some schemes. The main function i see on her is to "transform" herself into 2 gupps. But since you almost never see her on table she may offer you the element of surprise. I have not played any games with gg18 s&s yet but they seem killy. She may be good if you expect shooty opponents to "protect" your scheme runners by summoning them turn 3 or 4.

She's a combo piece "in my opinion".

You run her for the summoning and potential of her suicide charge.

However the summon needs to be beneficial beyond simple out activation which means comboing with a whisp to get it rolling and then a second henchman that benefits from swamp fiends. 

So you will wind up summoning the gupps to set Mctavish up who ideally also protects a swamp fiend list a little.

Or you summon them as a renewable sources of juju cycling, this becomes more significant if you start with swamp fiends from the shadows for an early Muk dump where he will likely die and you want to maintain activation count.

Also when Lucius makes excursions into the bayou for whatever liason he requires he may bring Queeg who can make gupps and silurids even more mobile for scheming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1