Dear Wyrd. We need to talk about intuition.

Poko

Yeah I know... The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents is one of my favourite books.... .... however I wanted to see lots of people talking about cuddle guns.

What's a cuddle gun? Urban dictionary says it's the back seat of a motorcycle, but that doesn't make sense in this context.

I'm glad to see that there are a lot of proponents to the new plastics even if they do prove challenging to build.  Myself, I love them.  I've modeled forever and I enjoy the challenge.  But more than the challenge, I love the outcome.  Wyrd plastics are just so 3D and dynamic!  Bravo!  Such a change of pace from GW40K multipose kits. 

Don't dumb down the models!  Please please don't!!!

• Like 1

I agree. don't dumb down the models. just make them easier to assemble than recombinant dna. Making them stupid, or less dynamic isn;t the goal. making them not have little pieces that get lost forever in the carpet is.

Also, give them all cuddle guns, so Ratty's happy....possibly cuddle machine guns.

• Like 2

And to hell with those who want gaming models instead of Escheresque modern art?

I'm not saying to hell with you.  I just don't find the models hard to assemble...at all.  Your army consists of 7 figs, time to assemble....4 hours.  Having a rad army built in less than a day, not many games go there. 

If you don't care about how your models look why not use the metals? 

I'll also offer up that you shouldn't use CA (super)  on slender kits like the Hired Swords.  CA glue for plastics doesn't work as well when there's not as much surface area to work with.  Use a good plastic cement.    A good plastic cement (not the cheap Testor's crap) will just melt both sides together for a very strong bond.  I'm doing the Hired Swords kit right now and Viktoria of Ashes wrist joint wasn't a problem at all.  Neither Taelor's brastrap.

And if you must use CA glue, use an accelerant along with it.  Save yourself some sanity, accelerant makes everything so much easier.

Well, I haven't tried it myself, but there has been discussion about the thermal reaction from CA accelerant doing Bad Things to the plastic kits.

I've been using accelerant with CA glue on plastics for years without problem.  There are plenty of brands out there, I happen to use Testor's.  When I can find it I just buy a bunch of it to last me a year or so.  The CA glue I use is Gorilla CA glue from your local hardware store.  They work well together, although not as well  as a good plastic cement on a kit like Hired Swords with minimal surface areas to work with.

Now you want to talk about  bad things (to any kit) toss a pinch of baking soda on CA glue.  Baking soda will accelerate....but it's messy.  So so messy!

If you don't care about how your models look why not use the metals?

I care how the models look. I just think they don't look spectacular enough to warrant that level of complication.

As for metals, some of the old metals were just as PITA to put together as the plastics (again, by virtue of teeny-tiny connection points, such as the friggen young nephilim wings).

Actually..I've also got to painting the models now that they're put together. And I guess I won't be finishing it. I had painted the old Nephilim starter as well, and after seeing two new plastic boxes, I can only say that they're the most "sculpt-by-the-numbers" models in my recent memory. Just completely un-inspired compared to the old when you put paint to them. I'm not a metal fetishist, I have no preference for material as stated earlier, but..bleh. Sorry, I stand by my opinion that those are a step back and as "wyrd" as a ford fiesta.

• Like 1

Actually..I've also got to painting the models now that they're put together. And I guess I won't be finishing it. I had painted the old Nephilim starter as well, and after seeing two new plastic boxes, I can only say that they're the most "sculpt-by-the-numbers" models in my recent memory. Just completely un-inspired compared to the old when you put paint to them. I'm not a metal fetishist, I have no preference for material as stated earlier, but..bleh. Sorry, I stand by my opinion that those are a step back and as "wyrd" as a ford fiesta.

*goes to the Store and looks at the plastic Nephilim set*  Yeah, the Mature Nephilim looks rather generic "Big Winged Brute" but so does the metal.  There's only so much to do with that form factor, especially if you're not giving it outlandish clothes and giant flaming swords...  I give tentative approval to the looks of those young Nephilim, though (I'll only go so far from box art).

Well, I haven't tried it myself, but there has been discussion about the thermal reaction from CA accelerant doing Bad Things to the plastic kits.

Nothing I've come across yet - just the usual "don't spill it all over your bloody model" stuff.  I haven't had any melting or deforming issues.

*goes to the Store and looks at the plastic Nephilim set*  Yeah, the Mature Nephilim looks rather generic "Big Winged Brute" but so does the metal.  There's only so much to do with that form factor, especially if you're not giving it outlandish clothes and giant flaming swords...  I give tentative approval to the looks of those young Nephilim, though (I'll only go so far from box art).

Mature Nephilim is a generic big brute - he also doesn't fit together terribly well - or at least the one I got needed a bit of pressure holding and filing to line up without a gap that would make metal Khadoran Heavy Warjacks feel tight.

The young Nephilim look great but are freaking tiny.  I had to pretty much build dioramas on their bases so they wouldn't look so absurdly out of place.

• 1 month later...

Seriously, the only really hard bits with infinity were the idiotic antennas they insisted on making separate, and the daikini bots, which i am sure to this day, were designed by a misanthrope. Either way, I'd rate the vikis models about as hard to put together as the infinity models.

Also an update- the student of conflict will not be getting the braids, they decided they dont want to play together anymore and went through divorce when i tried removing them. I was not suprised.

Wanna know how I can tell you didn't buy any tankhunters?

• Like 2

No. I don't see that it matters though.

I think it does. As people are expressing their discomfort with the product that they have purchased, you are defending a product you don't even have. I just don't understand why would you defend something you don't even own and try to discredit peoples concerns about it? 

• Like 2

Why do people think that model has lots of rats with tied together tails and is not a big rat wearing a crown... and a waist coat... with a Cuddle gun.

Because that would just be silly. cuddle guns... who comes up with this stuff?

This is absolutely what I'd like to see. :D

You all have no idea how horrible you will have made my life if any of this comes to pass.  I think of the Outcasts as fringe and pretend the  Gremlins don't exist.  You wanna know what my meta is? 

GREMLINS AND RATS.  NOTHING BUT.

• Like 1

I've been on a "Hey Loveless! How much Wyrd stuff can you assemble?" binge lately and was putting together the Lady J crew last night.

Death Marshalls I've done before, so I know the required tricks to get the two little ones to attach to their coffins, while big guy continues to be a piece of cake.

Judge isn't bad at all - might have to base him after painting due to the pose, but he went together easily enough.

The Scales is a great model - almost too awesome to just be a Totem - but it took me a bit with the neck chains.  Also I was concerned about the braziers falling off pretty much the entire time.  That is not a lot of plastic to keep things attached if you're cleaning up mold lines.

Justice is awkward.  Good in the render, less good in practice.  The render has far too many fine details that end up chunky on the model (sword blade, scabbard decor), and the posing makes any attempt at stable basing awkward.  Attaching the scabbard was frustrating as the straps cause a very specific angle on the attachment point.  All doable, though.  Sort of wishing they had up-sized Justice a bit so the thickness of the sword blade was thinner by comparison.

Also put together the Vikis box earlier this week.  Taelor, Woman of Straps, was interesting... I'm also convinced that the Student's braid was never actually sized up to the slot on her head, so they just threw a random peg on the end and called it good.  I may have gotten an old box as pigtail Ronin seems rather large, but not upsettingly so, so maybe she's just a big girl in general.

Also put together the Vikis box earlier this week.  Taelor, Woman of Straps, was interesting... I'm also convinced that the Student's braid was never actually sized up to the slot on her head, so they just threw a random peg on the end and called it good.  I may have gotten an old box as pigtail Ronin seems rather large, but not upsettingly so, so maybe she's just a big girl in general.

Both the standing Ronins have abnormally long legs so they look weird if you look at them too closely.

Here are some comparison of the misscast ones.

I've been on a "Hey Loveless! How much Wyrd stuff can you assemble?" binge lately and was putting together the Lady J crew last night.

Death Marshalls I've done before, so I know the required tricks to get the two little ones to attach to their coffins, while big guy continues to be a piece of cake.

Judge isn't bad at all - might have to base him after painting due to the pose, but he went together easily enough.

The Scales is a great model - almost too awesome to just be a Totem - but it took me a bit with the neck chains.  Also I was concerned about the braziers falling off pretty much the entire time.  That is not a lot of plastic to keep things attached if you're cleaning up mold lines.

Justice is awkward.  Good in the render, less good in practice.  The render has far too many fine details that end up chunky on the model (sword blade, scabbard decor), and the posing makes any attempt at stable basing awkward.  Attaching the scabbard was frustrating as the straps cause a very specific angle on the attachment point.  All doable, though.  Sort of wishing they had up-sized Justice a bit so the thickness of the sword blade was thinner by comparison.

I love some long ronin legs.