Dear Wyrd. We need to talk about intuition.

Poko

I really want to disagree with the original post, but having just now put together the punk zombies from open graves, some of the new kits are just as fiddly as the first generation kits.  

Did Wyrd really need a design that split the head and neck in three parts?  It's a cool figure but the dynamic looking head still won't look like the cover art until I fill in the joints with putty.

I'm all for the plastic kits and had always passed on Malifaux before the switch, but I think the current designs go too far towards dynamic poses and realistic proportions over construct-ability.

While some peices are hard to assemble and easily lost. Wyrd has some of the best looking models in the industry. A trick someone told me is to work over a shoebox so if you drop something that will catch it. I don't mind lots of pieces the little tiny ones can be frustrating, but worth the detail.

My on only serious problems have been Guild Pathfinders rifle strap fired off when I clipped it off the sprue never to be found. Taelor's pony tail will not stay on even though I glued it well. The connections on the scales for the Scales of Justice are so small they easily break off.

The connections on the scales for the Scales of Justice are so small they easily break off.

I hear ya! My Scales took a knock and they are at the point were even the slightest nudge will cause one of the chains to snap. I have to take him out and put him back into my case so gingerly it's like I'm caring for a new born!

I really don't mean to sound harsh but I feel like a lot of these issues are the fault of you guys and not the kits. Pieces getting lost or pinging off when they're being clipped can all be avoided if you take care, gaps in the joins can be filled with greenstuff or some other kind of putty (all the Wyrd plastic models I've built have had a normal amount of gappage) and small, weak connections really shouldn't be an issue if you're using proper plastic poly-cement and not super glue.

I recently put together the Yan Lo box and didn't have too many issues with it. The beard was a little fiddly but the fact that it's a plastic model made it pretty easy. The only problem I have with the box is that the ashigaru spears and banners and the Soul Porter's staff are all really thin so I don't have high hopes that they'll last. I should have replaced them with some kind of metal rod but I was being lazy.

Just by the way, I'm in no way a Wyrd fanboy so I'm not just blindly defending the models!

I really don't mean to sound harsh but I feel like a lot of these issues are the fault of you guys and not the kits.

It might be the case. However, if the issues exist in Wyrd models, and not..other company's models (to avoid using names of competition), then I feel less compelled to purchase another kit that I will have issues with than the ones I know i wont have an issue with. And the amount of parts and their poor design (imo) is doing a lot to ensure I do not separate with the 30-40$ another boxed set would cost.

I don't expect Wyrd to drop everything and retool the kits so they suit me, but they should be aware at least some of us have problems with the kits.

Wyrd's models are some of the easiest and most intuitive to assemble that I've worked with in a long time. I just build a Leviathan Mortis, if you want a counter-intuitive kit, it's definitely that one. The only complaint I've had is that the directions definitely could use some different angles at times, but beyond that, I have found these things far easier to assemble than Infinity, Knight Models, hell, even the complex GW kits. Warmachine definitely wins out on simplicity of assembly for their plastics, but there's a reason for it- they are static poses that cannot be modified. The things are keyed tighter than what Wyrd makes.

It might be the case. However, if the issues exist in Wyrd models, and not..other company's models (to avoid using names of competition), then I feel less compelled to purchase another kit that I will have issues with than the ones I know i wont have an issue with. And the amount of parts and their poor design (imo) is doing a lot to ensure I do not separate with the 30-40$ another boxed set would cost.

I don't expect Wyrd to drop everything and retool the kits so they suit me, but they should be aware at least some of us have problems with the kits.

I have had zero issues with any plastics since they released. You are the first I've heard if to have an issue with the Vikkies box.

Edited by Rathnard
Bordeline comment removed
  • Like 1

I haven't had a problem with assembling any Wyrd kits either, thankfully, but I am more of a painter than a gamer and for me the assembly, basing, clean-up etc is something I quite enjoy and have a reasonable amount of experience with. If Wyrd were still producing minis with no game system in mind then I would totally agree with you - but they're not. The models are made for gaming and I think some consideration has to be made with that in mind. If I bought a kit because I wanted to use the models to game with and found it was a real hassle to assemble and that some parts were then very prone to snapping, I probably wouldn't be purchasing any more. (I'm assuming this is the angle that 'poko' is looking at this situation from and can only apologise if I've got the wrong end of the stick!)

Edited by Rathnard
Response to Ausplosions removed
  • Like 1

Sounds like a bunch of noob complaints from inexperienced hobbyists :D. The new plastics are easy lol.

I realise this was probably made in jest but please, be careful about your language. I've already had to edit a few posts and if these sorts of comments keep up, I'm going to start throwing around the Ban-hammer. Consider this a general warning to everyone. 

• Like 2

Have only built Dark Debts, The Latigo Posse and the Guild's Judgment. Those weren't too bad, although Lady Justice turned out to be very, very fiddly. Still not as bad as some metal miniatures I handled. Privateer Press' Feora2 for example, or Corvus Belli's Chimaera.

Overall I really like working with plastics you just have to be very carefull what you cut of. Oh and use plastic glue (with a hollow needle), or you will have a bad day.