The Executioner - your thoughts

Kotep

All I know is that both Howard and the cobbler in charge of Colette's tap dancing shoes were both very dissapointed when informed that He would not be allowed on stage with Colette. I hear he's been seen moping around outside the theater with a top hat and cane, busking for small change.

No word yet about how Ramos felt about these developments, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn some scrip had been passed under the table.

edited for spelling

I love fat boy. Slow and Paralysed are some of his worst enemies though. If you suspect they'll have a few cheaper minions, LLC can keep him in the fight longer and slaying plenty (or at least diverting much attention). If the scheme pool has a few marker-based VP's going then try him out some time. Don't forget his Terrifying ability!

Running him with Ortegas, you can also have the Hermanos de Armas upgrade to assist with movement. The Enslaved Neph's Shackled action is fantastic for moving him up too. To keep him alive, it can also be useful put Francisco's El Mayor on him with a defensive stance.

Will have to run a Peacekeeper some, see if I prefer it or not. I just never looked forward to putting one together...

Definitely a mistake on my part.  I didn't see anything where you can't charge something if its not in range in the rules.  I guess I hadn't looked because its not really ever beneficial to do so over double walking, except in the case of Lady J who can use it to push her army up the table.

You can achieve similar results to this if you want by charging one of your own models, that was caefully placed to get the best effect. You have to make the melee attacks against the model, but can cheat down to miss, which isn't such a huge problem on the first turn.

Just had a thought whilst reading the rules forum.

You need to end a charge engaged with a model, and you don't engage your own models, so this might not work. Watch this space for updates on can you charge your own models. (my Marcus suddenly gets much slower)

Correction

Charge involves engagement range, which you have with friendlies, rather than engagement. Charge your friends freely

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've found that instead of making Ex tougher/more survivable giving my opponent a decision as to which model to focus on works well.

For example, I bring Ex with Lady J. Most crews will have a hard time killing both, so they concentrate on one. But that leaves the other to do their thing.

Not to say I abaondon Ex to the opponent's mercy. I'm a huge fan of the Death Marshal Delivery Service . "Package for you, good sir."

Necromany! Bored at work and noticed no one mentioned McCabe. If you like stacking upgrades he can be regen2 armour2 and nimble whilst being pushed up to 12" first turn.

Also Sidir with promises can make him move and hit like a freight train.

I agree that McCabe and Ex should be fast friends but what pushes him 12" on the first turn? McCabe can only hand out 1 upgrade per turn (it's a zero action) which allows the 4" push.

Consider this.... McCabe can do this sequence of actions (see below) to make the Executioner a serious threat

McCabe Acitvates

McCabe Black Flashes a Minion (Just cause you might as well!)

McCabe uses (0) Take This! triggers "Open the Stash" and passes Badge of Speed to the Executioner.

Executioner pushes 4" 

McCabe re-casts Take This! and passes Elixir of Life (for Regen +2 and Unimpeded) OR Strangemetal Shirt (For Armour) to the Executioner

Executioner Pushes 4" 

Executioner Activates, Moves once with Nimble (Totaling 12" of free movement) then charges and murders something (the charge works better with the Elixir for the Unimpeded) 

So this little combo not only makes him an utter beast on the table but it also solves his 2 primary weaknesses. Speed and Protection. Nimble and the Pushes give him 12" added onto his usual slow speed, this gives him plenty of movement to get into position for a tasty charge whilst the option of the Elixir or Shirt gives him defensive abilities to help in the unlikely event his target doesn't die or there are multiple targets to worry about.

In my opinion McCabe is THE best Master to run an Executioner with because he solves all of the problems people commonly use as an excuse to not run an Executioner and he does this by using upgrades that he would already be taking in the first place, he's not wasting stones to specifically give the Executioner Armour etc although that is still an option!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Executioner, Sidir, Judge.

Ran this combo with lady J last few games with great success.

Basically the Exe hangs around Sidir getting the promises buff which is huge for him, gaining not only positive attack flips but an important positive to wp flips which will help him survive against crews which focus on wp and to push through those terror checks. The judge hangs back in a support role either aiding the pair or protecting my minions doing schemes.

Using combat effectiveness at the right time can make the executioner not only get out a few extra hits (with positives of course) or timing it right you can finish off someone wounded to get that 3/4/5 healing flip.

LLC usually feels quite expensive but on a unit like him that extra armour keeps him around long enough to heal up (and for Promises).

Also Sidir can take the hit once per turn for him which has saved him many times.

My opponent wasn't happy when the judge made him attack McMourning with an auto kill trigger at end of round :P

May already be answered in rules forum but it's on topic so I Gotta ask, as the idea of regen+2 armour+2 executioner in your face turn 1 sounds fun!

Does lead lined coat work with stranglement shirt? LLC only gives you armour if you don't already have it so would they cancel each other out or stack?

They should stack as it's Armour +1 to Armour +1. I was always under the impression that Abilities / Conditions with a + in them are stackable. This isn't really an ideal way to go with McCabe as both Armour and Regen come from the Shirt and Elixir respectively meaning you can only take the Saber or Badge with it. Of course this is personal preference but in my opinion the Sabre and Badge are the two most noteworthy upgrades. I guess if your playing McCabe more support than killy though it'll be fine with the Badge.