Marker Generator

• 3 weeks later...

Don't use chrome when printing. I get the same problem - the image is black, using a mixture of pngs and jpgs in Chrome under osx. This happens when printing to pdf too. 

Safari seems to work best, but scale to 95% to get to print it out in the right size on a4 paper on a hp 2600n. Firefox prints out too small. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been able to make a bunch of awesome markers thanks to this. I was wondering if you'd be able to create something equally amazing for 50mm markers so we can create custom markers for things like blast markers and ice pillars.

Thanks again for making this wonderful tool!

I've been using chrome, and printed several great counters in the past, but went to do some more the other day using jpgs and pngs, some of which I'd used successfully in the past to make markers with, and all of the sudden the center is just showing up as solid black when I go to print.. any suggestions on how to save the images or alternate print methods?

I just downloaded the latest firefox (version 36.0.1). That version printed the example .svg file ok (from the first post). Both text and images were included.

With Chrome I also got black images, and should probably post a bug report to the chrome project somehow. Anybody know how that is done?

Edit: I found out how to "Report an issue" from the Help menu in Chrome, and have done so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There was a bug that has now been fixed. A few posts were lost during

The current version is  v5  v6

Chrome, Opera and Firefox:

Chrome, Opera and Internet Explorer:

I'll update the first post again...

I just spent 30-40 minutes making about 20 different counters with correct zoom and everything, then I tried opening to full sheet: "An error has occurred"

I almost punched the screen...  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Apart from that let-down it looked promising with the pictures actually showing on the right, when I added them but I almost wish they hadn't since I spent so long.

:(

Hmmm it seems to work if I only have a few counters. So what I'm doing is make a few at a time, open sheet, use the windows cutting tool to make a picture of the icon, open that in word and I can then have all of them in 1 word document in the sizes I want.

Takes a while but will be great.

By the way, thanks for adding the zoom/vertical/horizontal options!  :+fate  :+fate

Sorry to hear about the error. That error message is nothing I have programmed in, so it's probably an error from your browser. Are you using Internet Explorer?

Due to limitations with data urls, there might be problems when using many large pictures on a single sheet. The same problems occurs when using a single large picture, and changing zoom and/or position for each marker. I'll try to formulate a better warning in the first post. Maybe I could add the option to link to the picture files instead of including the pictures in the svg file? Of course such an svg file would stop working if the files were moved, but I guess normal usage is printing the finished sheet immediately anyway.

Edit: Unfortunately, linking external images from svg images seems to be forbidden by most (all?) browsers. I tried to add this feature, but preview didn't work, and the full sheet had to be saved and reopened before the images was shown. :-(

Edited by Docent Turbine

Hey Minijunkie

• 30mm plexiglass discs on ebay - I can link you the store if you want, but really just search.
  • Took pictures of my masters and trimmed out the faces
  • Used the marker generater program, fiddled with the text and colors
  • Printed on my color laser; had to do a couple test runs to get the sizes right
  • Glued the discs on using a lacquer; I used the kind called decoupage, which is specifically made for this kinda thing
  • Cut around the discs 

I plan to put some felt backing on at some point, but haven't gotten round to it yet. 

• Like 2

Hey Minijunkie

• 30mm plexiglass discs on ebay - I can link you the store if you want, but really just search.
  • Took pictures of my masters and trimmed out the faces
  • Used the marker generater program, fiddled with the text and colors
  • Printed on my color laser; had to do a couple test runs to get the sizes right
  • Glued the discs on using a lacquer; I used the kind called decoupage, which is specifically made for this kinda thing
  • Cut around the discs 

I plan to put some felt backing on at some point, but haven't gotten round to it yet. 

Thanks, they look terrific!

• Like 1

I have added the size of the full sheet (in kB or MB) beneath the preview in the Marker Generator. The different browsers have different limits to how large files (actually data uris) they can open, and the full sheet will typically fail to open when the limit is exceeded.

These are the limits I have found for some different browsers and versions:

• Firefox (version 40.0.3): Froze above 10 MB, but quite sluggish above a MB or two.
  • Chrome (version <45): Crashed above 2 MB.
  • Chrome (version 45.0.2454.85 m): Crashed above 9 MB.
  • Opera (version 31.0.1889.174): Crashed above 2 MB.
  • Internet Explorer (version 11.0.20): Still worked ok above 10 MB (but zooming and positioning doesn't seem to work? I'll look into that).

If you find a different size limit for your favourite browser/version, please reply to this post or PM me, so I can update the list.

BTW: Remember that you only need a picture with around 300x300 pixels for the markers, which normally is less than 50 kB in size. So even with 35 different pictures the sheet size should be below 2 MB.

Edit: I fixed the zooming issue with Internet Explorer. Now it should work...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...