Crafting A Malifaux Fate Deck

Clawz

Deck Update Time!

The deck is finished, with the big ol' asterisk of "if I notice a mistake I need to change" which means it's time to properly look into getting the cards themselves made. I'm looking at Printer Studio, but am wondering if I can look into anywhere local to Toronto, to reduce shipping costs and the like.

The company's great in that if you ask, they'll send out a sample, so they claim. I sought for it last night, and they say it could take a week to arrive. The reason being is while I know I'm not getting plastic cards, they have two stocks, and I want to make sure I'm picking the right one. Once I know the stock, I can also set to work on a card sleeve case. The company offers hard plastic containers (undecorated) for any orders under 100, but for over that amount, to be honest, it'll be cheaper to get them from the company than print, cut, and fold them myself. I'll make the cover, like the deck itself, look appropriately Steampunk Art Nouveau.

I'll shortly be doing a poll of how many people 100%-for-certain want a deck (or two) and unless I hear otherwise from Wyrd, I think I'm fine to sell them. In a few days (hopefully even shorter) I'll have a post up with the final look of all the cards, and then as soon as I can take a look at the card stock used by the company and pick that, I'll be able to price things out. Watch this space!

*Edit* Something else I forgot to mention: I'm debating back and forth whether or not to tweak the royals. Right now they're free vectors, which of course makes them look identical to a 'normal deck of cards'. Part of me wants to slightly modify them to make them unique, but I can't truly match their suit's faction (since, evil..) and am wondering if it's worth it to just slightly modify them. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Right. I figure I'll do custom suits, so until that happens, here's a full set of the deck!

Deck%2520Final%2520Spread.jpg  
 From Malifaux Deck 

I am going to do a sketch of the suits soon. Looking at Art Nouveau cards shows a lot of very interesting designs, and while I'm tempted by the JOB Cigarettes style, I may have to do something simpler just to make it fit.

Thanks for the offer Bowchickawowers, but if I'm going to do this deck right, I feel it has to be made entirely by me. First it's contemplation time of what I want to design each to look like.

• Like 1

Just because someone pointed me here.

It doesn't exactly work that way ... unless I hear otherwise from Wyrd. With that assumption you believe that those involved at Wyrd are in the know and because they haven't said anything, it's all good and proper to do so. While I and other try to participate in the forum as much as possible, it doesn't mean that we read each and every post on the forum, or any other forum or social media. 

The proper way to move along with things to avoid unfavorable situations for all involved, is to seek out and ask for permission, while providing a proper amount of information and details about what, where, why and who. Usually we're pretty open about it and if its for an event, convention or tournament, try to help out where we may. That said, a few folks have unfortunately found out after the fact, and spending of a fair bit of time and money, that by not asking, things don't go anywhere near as hoped or expected. 

The contact button isn't too far away and the worse thing that could happen is we say no. 

I'll shortly be doing a poll of how many people 100%-for-certain want a deck (or two) and unless I hear otherwise from Wyrd, I think I'm fine to sell them. In a few days (hopefully even shorter) I'll have a post up with the final look of all the cards, and then as soon as I can take a look at the card stock used by the company and pick that, I'll be able to price things out. Watch this space!

• Like 1

I tried reaching out to Wyrd by email before and got entirely zero response. The reason I've been nebulous on listing a distinct price (and pretty careful about expunging distinct reference to Wyrd's copyrights) is because I haven't heard back.

I am aware, as a creative myself, of copyright law. I know Wyrd is obligated to pursue any perceived infringement of copyright IP or they risk losing future claims to said copyright. That said, there's only so much I can do. I don't have personal emails of anyone in the Wyrd offices, and I even listed Xander by name because his previous work is of a similar intent to mine. If you have a more direct personal line to the people who are responsible for copyright in Wyrd, or see any issues with what I've presented in regards to copyright, feel free to contact me about it, and we can discuss it.

I mentioned it above, but in case it needs clarification: Before I even started this project I sought to talk to someone on Wyrd's team through the "contact us" channel, specifically because in one of my early iterations I was hoping to use graphics that are distinctly Wyrd's. Lacking any response from them (not even an automated response message) I designed the parts I hoped to use their graphics for elsewise, and later re-designed the back of the card, which had used the map of Malifaux, because I hadn't received explicit permission.

• Like 1

Sending an e-mail and not getting a response doesn't mean 'well, I tried, and it's up to them now'. Try, and try again if need be, or find alternatives. It's possible that your e-mail didn't come through. It's possible that whomever it did go to didn't bother following up on it. It's possible that it got passed along and it went .. poof. No clue to be honest. Hell at that point make a thread and go 'those assholes at Wyrd won't respond to me .. anyone got any ideas?'. At that point even IF we didn't read that particular thread, someone like Dgraz or any number of other helpful folks would have pointed out possible alternatives (such as, yes, I am one of the fellas to send a PM or direct e-mail to). 

As for Xander, we actually liked his work quite a bit and purchased his time and work on the cards and produced them ourselves, they aren't marketed and distributed by good ol' Xander himself. As a matter of fact, there are a number of very talented individuals on here whom in one way or another have either contacted us, or caught our attention, and have come along to help in one way or another. Justin, Ratty, SmoothWD40, Mako and about twenty others that I really should take the time to name properly but it's late and I'm going to take that cheap excuse as my out!

And a couple of them even had to e-mail me more than once to get my attention <gasp>.

:P

• Like 3

And a couple of them even had to e-mail me more than once to get my attention <gasp>.

:P

I definitely had to contact both Eric and Nathan via PM and maybe email, and had to wait a long time (months? :P) before I heard back.

Busy people be busy!

Alas when I started this project (and arguably up to last night) I was new enough to Wyrd and Malifaux that other than emailing the main channel, I had no idea who to talk to. I was hoping the forum thread itself would attract the attention of someone, and I guess in a way it did... Here's hoping the project doesn't get scuttled!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm waiting to hear back from Nathan about what specifically is problematic. I'll be unable to sell/make it as a fate deck, but I may end up just taking what I can 'salvage' and turning it into a normal poker deck. Right now it's in limbo: I'm also going to be designing all custom royals, and went with the oh-so-easy to emulate Alphonse Mucha as inspiration for them, so that'll take some time!

• 3 weeks later...

So your new plan for each of the face cards will emulate Mucha's artwork? That will be a very impressive task indeed. I will be watching this thread in hopes of being able to purchase a few of this deck. Fate or otherwise. Consider me a eagerly anticipating customer, and thank you for sharing your work.

Gristle

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

These are going somewhere! Sorry for the delay on response for this, I've been hesitant ever since I got told to cut it. With the new Create Your Fate contest though, my deck may yet see the light of my gaming table! It's been updated, cleaned, and posted for the contest!

• Like 1