Shenlong

hrnyjackal

Ive had a look through the topics and couldnt find anything discussing The new Ten T master at any great length.

Am I just blind or has no such thread been made?

Anyway Im really excited to get this guy on the table.

Has anyone else had any chance to use him?

Any tricks or tips or nice combos people have come up with?

Im liking these to proxy Shenlong and Sensi Yu

http://bushido-thegame.com/catalog/tsutsumi

http://bushido-thegame.com/catalog/riku

I like the idea of using Riku to proxy Sensei Yu but not such a big fan of Tsutsumi being a proxy for Shenlong. I invasage him as a much younger Kung Fu style fighter. 

I see him more like Asura from the Capcom game Asura's Wrath, especially seeing as he is a Tyrant. 

Something like this - http://thewayofthegame.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Asura3.png

• Like 1

I think the most important thing is to think of the Shenlong/Sensei Yu master/henchman combo is they are battlefield control.  They provide repositioning, status effects (slow and fast being the main ones), and healing.  Katanaka Snipers and Thunder Archers are really obvious choices.  Any melee model that needs to close with an enemy (Ototo and the Lone Swordsman have no ranged abilities).  Wandering River Style moves both units and tokens.  With it, you can get a tengu to the center line and still have 1 AP for dropping a token on the first turn.

From the other side, figure out how your opponent's crew runs and use them to throw a monkey wrench into their plans.  Force their ranged units into melee.  Push their melee units out of range.  I can't think of a single model that's helped by being thrown out of position and simultaneously slowed.  Move scheme, scrap, and corpse tokens away.  There's no end to the amount of grief you can cause an opposing crew.

• 1 month later...

I have played against someone proxeying Shenlong. I have to say he and sensei yu seem overpowered at this point.  My opponent kept shifting the limited powers and I could not keep track.  It seemed like there was no way of removing either of them off the table and I have to say it was not a fun game.  In fact people in my area are very very frustrated with this combo at the moment.  I know this is the 10 thunders page but anyone actually played him yet and found any holes in him.  Right now people in my area are really frustrated with him at the moment.

Could use some advice.

Thanks

Malidave: It's circumstantial, but If Shenlong does not have a limited upgrade equipped to discard, he can't change his style. So if you can force the limited upgrade to be discarded via a model like Hans, Shenlong will be without a style for the rest of the game. Sensei Yu will also be stuck with what he is left holding as his style - best case he's left holding promising discipline and never borrowed a style...

Or you could start with Sensei Yu, discard promising disciple to prevent the double use of a style every turn. :)

• Like 1

Thank You,

Yeah I have been looking at it all night and just realized that Hans it the Answer to all the problems. Now I just have to get him.

It is a good think I am moving to outcasts, because I would field thematically wierd using Hans in my resur lists.

I would, but I would feel wierd. :)

Well counting on Hans is easy to counter. Just discard two cards because of The Highest Bidder and Hans won't do a thing to Shenlong. I'm afraid Hans is not purely the magical answer he's set out to be.

Definately isn't any easy answer, but combined with effects that will pressure the opponents hand like horror duels and devour triggers the Shenlong player may be persaded to get rid of Hans early or to change their game plan to hold some cards for safety.

Promising Disciple on Sensei Yu is probably the weakest link in the upgrade juggling for Hans to ping.

The master who looks most interesting in a matchup against Shenlong is Jack Daw. Put any curse (drowning looks best) on Shenlong and he is going to be under strain. His free actions probably would work against him.

Can someone tell me why upgrade switching is good with shenlong and sensei yu? I seems like a waste of a 0 action.

I'm not entirely fond of Sensei Yu (she works fine, she just felt redundant in my Shenlong lists), but with Shenlong, swapping upgrades lets him switch his focus and adapt to whatever role you need him to fill.  

He can start early game with some pushes to move models around, swap into a melee style midgame to unleash some hurt, and then swap into healer mode late game to patch up his crew.  Or any combination of those styles as you see fit.  

I'm not entirely fond of Sensei Yu (she works fine, she just felt redundant in my Shenlong lists), but with Shenlong, swapping upgrades lets him switch his focus and adapt to whatever role you need him to fill.  

He can start early game with some pushes to move models around, swap into a melee style midgame to unleash some hurt, and then swap into healer mode late game to patch up his crew.  Or any combination of those styles as you see fit.  

Sensie Yu is a girl?

Sensie Yu is a girl?

Sure, why not? 

It's a unisex name, but I like to think of her as a lady, because reasons. 

Sensei Yu and Shenlong are both great, but I've found - at least with my playstyle - that it ends up being too many points spent on a support-y henchman for a support-y master.  I just prefer to have someone a bit more beastick-y in her place.

• 4 months later...

Sure, why not? 

It's a unisex name, but I like to think of her as a lady, because reasons. 

Sensei Yu and Shenlong are both great, but I've found - at least with my playstyle - that it ends up being too many points spent on a support-y henchman for a support-y master.  I just prefer to have someone a bit more beastick-y in her place.

Funnily enough I always thought of Yu as a lady. I was going to proxy her with Yumi from the Bushido Temple starter set when the cards came out. Alas, I don't know if you've seen the recently released artwork, it turns out she's a strapping 7ft bald beefcake!