Shenlong's Art... So what do we think?

Da Git

So we can see the concept art for Shenlong in the latest episode of Wyrd Chronicles of Pg5.  So what do we think?

For me, it's actually kind of disappointing, the Monks of Low River have a real uniqueness to them whereas Shenlong just looks like another Monk... which I know some people will probably be jumping for joy, but I was hoping they would keep the low river style going.  Need to see the rest of the crew though.

Love to hear your thoughts!

He looks like a bit too much like Togashi Mitsu for me.

That or any generic Togashi monk.  

The art, combined with his dragon avatar, just flick too many Togashi switches in my mind. 

And yeah, I'm sure the art will be cool, but if you can't freehand the tattoos, there's really nothing to make him stand out from any other random monk. 

I'm using this guy as a proxy until we have a  model, but...well, he might end up being a permanent swap-out if that art ends up being final.   I don't need explosions everywhere, but for a Tyrant, he's kinda boring and generic. 

I am glad he looks like a sort of normal monk. I dont want outlandish on every model. And besides he is Togashi thats totaly bad ass :)

That or any generic Togashi monk.  

The art, combined with his dragon avatar, just flick too many Togashi switches in my mind. 

And yeah, I'm sure the art will be cool, but if you can't freehand the tattoos, there's really nothing to make him stand out from any other random monk. 

I'm using this guy as a proxy until we have a  model, but...well, he might end up being a permanent swap-out if that art ends up being final.   I don't need explosions everywhere, but for a Tyrant, he's kinda boring and generic. 

Being who he realy is I think he looks fairly normal on purpose. If he went walking around as a dragon it would be pritty damn hard to hide out. 10t are about infiltration. They dont do much big and flashy.

And yet, all of the other Ten Thunders masters are readily identifiable as being someone unique.  Lynch doesn't look like anyone else, Mei Feng stands out among her rail workers, Yan Lo looks like Yan Lo and nobody else, and so on. 

Shenlng's art just looks like a generic monk, and that's really the main problem I have with it.  His rules are great, and the dude is a Tyrant on top of that, but the art is just...meh. 

And yet, all of the other Ten Thunders masters are readily identifiable as being someone unique.  Lynch doesn't look like anyone else, Mei Feng stands out among her rail workers, Yan Lo looks like Yan Lo and nobody else, and so on. 

Shenlng's art just looks like a generic monk, and that's really the main problem I have with it.  His rules are great, and the dude is a Tyrant on top of that, but the art is just...meh. 

I don't think that's entirely fair. We've only seen (early) concept art for Shenlong, and one Low River Monk. So it's kind of hard to judge whether Shenlong is unique and distinct from his crew when you've got no crew to compare him to.

ASSUMING he turns out to be more or less the same as  the concept art, the "Genericness" may actually work in his favour. Remember that a big part of his playstyles is his ability to switch fighting styles from turn to turn. So while the other monks will have various clothing/weapons that define their playstyle, such gear would get in the way of Shenlong's adaptiveness. Basically he plays like a blank slate, and so looks the part too.

Besides, who's to say he won't have some kind of magic/lighting type powers modeled on? After all, Lynch isn't that dissimilar to a Wastrel once you remove his skeleton friend, and Mei herself looks kind of average without her exploding wood thingo. 

• Like 3

For all we know, the Low River Monk might be the oddball in the crew. We have no idea what the other three monks, the disciple, or even the other 2 low rivers look like (meaning that one particular monk could be the odd one).

Also as a member of the Spider clan, I can truthfully say that Togashi kicks ass (well hes kicked mine a few times anyways). So I have no problems with a model that looks somewhat like him :) .

Besides, who's to say he won't have some kind of magic/lighting type powers modeled on? After all, Lynch isn't that dissimilar to a Wastrel once you remove his skeleton friend, and Mei herself looks kind of average without her exploding wood thingo. 

Well, that would be pretty cool. 

But it's not in the concept art, which is what I'm reacting to.  

Honestly, I thought they could do better. I know he's supposed to be like.."Monk Guy" but he looks like one of those faceless generic monks.

He should have some kind of flair. A funny hat, or really unique weapon. Maybe like a weird robe. 

Since he's elemental themed, maybe like a bunch of 'elemental flares' like flaming fists, gusts of air, swirls of water. He could ride on a cloud like the monkey king.

Lynch's skeleton as well, now that I think about it. 

Yeah, I didn't first like the skeleton guy coming from his sleeve dropping cards. So I painted and based Lynch without it, but something was just missing, so I clipped the part that would connect him to Lynch and then put the skeleton behind Lynch as sort of a guardian angel and it looked a lot better! 

If were talking about the B & W on pg 4 of the chronicle, I rather like it.

calm but threatening...

sadly as has been stated previously, his tatts will make or break the paint job......

putting him on a rock edge might help the pose maybe...

will his hands have those misty power swells? if so some OSL eminating from them  might improve the overall look also.......

now if only I could paint...

2cents