Ironsides' Art

ThePandaDirector

I really like her.

Also... Anyone got any ideas for a Proxy? All I know in miniature games is Malifaux, so my knowledge on possible proxies is limited.

Here's a couple of possibilities:

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/mary-fearless-p-503.html

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/alice-tinkerly-p-504.html

Not perfect, but could work. And they are very nice minis.

• 2 weeks later...

Very underwhelmed by her. Was hoping for something a lot bigger and less pretty. Basically, a big burly beast of a woman with huge arms and a face you know has been bruised more than a few times (a well done nose would have done wonders for this). The current concept is another cute as a button girl that happens to be a beater of epic proportions even if her arms are tissue thin and we already have a ton of those, specially when her skit is based on taking punches and hits to get pissed off and her small frame just doesn't say "I can take a good amount of punches!", with Lady J I sort of accept it at this stage of the game since they were going for the "godsword" theme as well as with Misaki and Mei Feng and Lilith being a demonspawn doesn't really have any problem with that, but had my hopes up on Toni breaking the non descript tabu of having a burly not pretty by the norm woman that is an amazing badass and could have probably been middle aged too.

• Like 5

I friggen love it. Insta-sale far as I'm concerned. Cute, but not overly sexualized, in an awesome pose, and while I haven't quite figured out how she'd get a russian accent, she clearly has one. Maybe she hangs out with Raspy.

"You love your knees, yes? That'll be three fiddy, yes"

Very underwhelmed by her. Was hoping for something a lot bigger and less pretty. Basically, a big burly beast of a woman with huge arms and a face you know has been bruised more than a few times (a well done nose would have done wonders for this). The current concept is another cute as a button girl that happens to be a beater of epic proportions even if her arms are tissue thin and we already have a ton of those, specially when her skit is based on taking punches and hits to get pissed off and her small frame just doesn't say "I can take a good amount of punches!"

If your argument is for more diverse body types, I get that. I think you're right in that Malifaux female masters are all young attractive women, with the exception of Ophelia and Zoraida. And Molly/Kirai (dead=no). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure. They very well could have done her as an older, middle aged woman, or made her face look more weathered.

That said, I think they made the right choice making her a small, petite person. And I'll tell you why.

Size matters, but not that way

The "bigger=better" perception is also problem in professional wrestling. Bigger guys can hurt more and take more hits, so all guys should look like that. But here's the thing: assuming that's true, so what? Why is that interesting? Wouldn't you be more impressed, more interested in, a smaller person who takes a hit and keeps going out of sheer force of will?

What's more interesting: a kevlar vest stopping a bullet, or a pocket Constitution? It's the book; kevlar was just doing what it was physically capable of doing. No big deal.

Joss may be big enough to take a punch without flinching, but that ability wouldn't define him. His physical ability to take a hit doesn't say anything about him as a character. It just says "oh, he's big." The reason Ironsides's "take a punch and keep going" characterization works for Ironsides is precisely because she looks too small to do so. Fighting spirit is only noteworthy for underdogs, because it's tough to fight when you're small. Unlike Rocky, this game doesn't have the benefit of 30 minute exposition to show Ironsides as an underdog in her day-to-day existence. We only have visual shorthand, so I think she needed to be small for her "fighting spirit" characterization to work.

Marcus's size works because he's characterized as a man of the wild, like Tarzan. Von Schill is an old vet.

Big burly woman not necessary to fight

Diversity in body types would be nice, but it's not necessary that she be a big burly beast of a woman. Most female fighters aren't. Ronda Rousey, the most famous female fighter in the world, isn't a big burly woman. Her muscles are larger, true. But I don't think she needs to be unattractive or look like a man to take a punch. I'm not a woman nor do I know anything about feminism, but I think there is some middle ground to be had there (where someone can be powerful, but without surrendering their femininity and just becoming a man).

They really went far in the opposite direction of what you wanted. But I don't think it's "another" of the same kind of female master than before. She's short (judging from the hammer), black, very short curly hair (distinctly African-American), not large breasts. What I hope the creators were going for was Snoop from HBO's "The Wire." They have similar job descriptions.

• Like 1

The thing is my dad coming from Govern and being an ex army man always told me the ones you had to watch out for were the slightly wirey short fighters with the gleam in their eyes. Big guys never need to learn to fight, they can just use their weight to win fights, where as if your smaller and have a rep it's because your fast, good at fighting, can roll with the punches because you can't just assorb them. The other thing that matters is just being more of a nutter, the person that wins the fight is a sociopath because he is the only one not holding back... To me Ironside looks dangerous, she has a fighters pose, weight lowered, guard up, and she feels like she's willing to do harm.

• Like 1

What Ratty said. Had one of those guys in my martial arts groups, and even sparring they were a nightmare to face (specially the ones who just kept getting back up when you did eventually put them down...). I wouldn't have wanted to actually fight one for real  :D

As the saying goes: Don't worry about the huge bruiser covered in scars, its the small one next to him with barely a scratch on him you need to avoid.

She looks like she grew up fighting to survive, not pumping iron in the gym, and that works for me. 

That all sounds fantastic and all that, but all our melee focused masters happen to all fall in the wiry springy type and god forbid a human woman can't be cute as a button (it's already very annoying that Taelor can't even have a tougher presence seeing how she is pretty much wailing  a big ass hammer around). At the very least give her some more biceps, show a broken nose and again, for those saying "small thing types are the dangerous, please do remember that those types of fighters are based on taking their opponent down BEFORE they take too many hits, Ironsides is the exact opposite, she takes them and keeps getting hit and more and more and that gets her more pissed and more till she takes you down in a burst of power and rage, the spindly ones tend to be sucking the mat because they just don't have that body made to take hits.

There is a reason why there are weight classes in boxing, the lightweights have no hope in hell vs a heavyweight simply because he can be all the quick, nimble and ninjalike he can ever want, but a single mistake and he is down for the count while the big guy can keep taking a licking for a bit.

• Like 3

I kind of like it, but it isn't anything like I was expecting. I agree with the comment of "kind of looks like female balrog from street fighter(USA)"

However, Given the name "ironsides" and the fact she brings along "The Captain" I was expecting something a bit more military, like a Naval Officer That Ramos uses for smuggling through waterborne breachlets. I hope the Captain is that, at least.

Nope. look closely, you can see her hand is flesh. Those are boxing gloves with metal plates.

I could see the argument that this doesn't fit the new aesthetic very well, it being more goth/anime/horror now. It doesn't bother me, but I could see how others might be bothered.

I can see her flesh hands. Her elbow looks chromed. On an unrelated note, I've begun harboring suspicions that she is the loch Ness monster.

Also, if you want a really rough and bloated Ironsides, wave3 has a gremlin copycat you can use as a proxy.

It would have been nice if she was in a bare knuckle boxing stance or even early gloved period stance but other than that I don't see what people are complaining about.

The stance looks modern but the turning of the left knee and high right hand looks like she's blocking/wearing a high blow on her right side, the left might be able to be positioned to make it look like a charged hook/uppercut depending on the casting. 

If I ever was to get her that hair would have to go.

Very underwhelmed by her. Was hoping for something a lot bigger and less pretty. Basically, a big burly beast of a woman with huge arms and a face you know has been bruised more than a few times (a well done nose would have done wonders for this). The current concept is another cute as a button girl that happens to be a beater of epic proportions even if her arms are tissue thin and we already have a ton of those, specially when her skit is based on taking punches and hits to get pissed off and her small frame just doesn't say "I can take a good amount of punches!", with Lady J I sort of accept it at this stage of the game since they were going for the "godsword" theme as well as with Misaki and Mei Feng and Lilith being a demonspawn doesn't really have any problem with that, but had my hopes up on Toni breaking the non descript tabu of having a burly not pretty by the norm woman that is an amazing badass and could have probably been middle aged too.

Absolutely nailed my opinion of Toni. I was so utterly, unreasonably, irresponsibly excited at the prospect of having a stocky/beefy, older, non-sexualised, not conventionally attractive[*] female character in a tabletop game. And you're right that the idea of someone who can take hits would have led me to expect a beefier character.

I don't want to be that guy that says "Wyrd crushed my hopes and dreams with a single character design", but I must admit I'm no longer considering her as one of my potential masters. But, to end on a positive note, I will say that, although she didn't fulfill my hopes and dreams, she is definitely way cooler than I expected. Mad props on the complete lack of sexualisation, in particular. That, at the very least, made me smile. And she is a cool design. Definitely not the design I wanted, not one I'm interested in using, but still pretty cool.

---

[*]It seems that when a female character isn't attractive, she has to be ugly. It's the whole Madonna/whore, beautiful/ugly issue. Female characters tend to be defined by their attractiveness or lack of - they're either attractive or ugly. If Wyrd had gone down the Beefy Toni road, I'd hoped she would have been plain. Maybe not homely plainness, perhaps a not particularly attractive, slightly masculine plainness. Just so long as she wasn't presented as being hideous (like Zoraida and Sybelle). Yamaziko's a pretty good example of a non-hideous not-attractive character. Unless you're into your GILFs, she ain't pretty, but she's not a Zoraida-like hag. Guess there's not much point discussing it here, just wanted to expand on how I'd imagined Toni.

• Like 3

Absolutely nailed my opinion of Toni. I was so utterly, unreasonably, irresponsibly excited at the prospect of having a stocky/beefy, older, non-sexualised, not conventionally attractive[*] female character in a tabletop game. And you're right that the idea of someone who can take hits would have led me to expect a beefier character. I don't want to be that guy that says "Wyrd crushed my hopes and dreams with a single character design", but I must admit I'm no longer considering her as one of my potential masters. But, to end on a positive note, I will say that, although she didn't fulfill my hopes and dreams, she is definitely way cooler than I expected. Mad props on the complete lack of sexualisation, in particular. That, at the very least, made me smile. And she is a cool design. Definitely not the design I wanted, not one I'm interested in using, but still pretty cool.  ---[*]It seems that when a female character isn't attractive, she has to be ugly. It's the whole Madonna/whore, beautiful/ugly issue. Female characters tend to be defined by their attractiveness or lack of - they're either attractive or ugly. If Wyrd had gone down the Beefy Toni road, I'd hoped she would have been plain. Maybe not homely plainness, perhaps a not particularly attractive, slightly masculine plainness. Just so long as she wasn't presented as being hideous (like Zoraida and Sybelle). Yamaziko's a pretty good example of a non-hideous not-attractive character. Unless you're into your GILFs, she ain't pretty, but she's not a Zoraida-like hag. Guess there's not much point discussing it here, just wanted to expand on how I'd imagined Toni.

Excellent post - and worthy I more than just a "thanks". Nails my feelings perfectly.

• Like 1

Were people expecting Toni to be a bit like brienne of tarth from game of thrones?

More like a cooler version of Pam Poovey from Archer or Ms. Trunchbull from Matilda, in my case. :lol:

Mulling over what I said before, I just want to reiterate that I wasn't intending to throw any negativity around. What I said about how I was hoping Toni would turn out is less about complaining and more about showing Wyrd that there is an audience out there for that type of character, if they ever decide to try that out some other time.

For now, there's still plenty of other masters I'm interested in using.

See, to me, Brienne looks much more suited to the job than that Pam character. 

Rolling with the punches and letting the glancing blows (which is what happens when you roll with them) get your rage up is more what I think of, rather than someone who doesn't look like they'd actually feel most shots because they're a walking tank. Why would they get charged up from being hit?

All this is a great example of how differently people see things, of course. 

Rolling with the punches and letting the glancing blows (which is what happens when you roll with them) get your rage up is more what I think of, rather than someone who doesn't look like they'd actually feel most shots because they're a walking tank. Why would they get charged up from being hit?

If you can take the hit without feeling it, I don't think it would still be an invite for everyone to just come and hit and you'd get "Soothing +1". If a model is built up taking hits and getting hit and through that building up adrenaline and rage and then the picture that comes up is such a fragile looking one that gets one hit in and drops down just doesn't quite match the image. 

And it has nothing to do with her being a black woman.

Why would they get charged up from being hit?

The exact same way you get more and more pissed if somebody starts giving you light slaps in the face, that you know how to take a hit or have the bulk to take a few does not mean it isn't annoying or outright infuriating, specially on somebody with a quick temper which is what Ironsides seems to be packing. It's not "now I'm stronger!" it's "If that bastards slaps me one more time I'm going to cave his face in..."