Ironsides' Art

ThePandaDirector

Love the image, hair style, and costume, but to me she just doesn't look like a leg breaker. She really lacks the visual presence and intimidation factor you'd want in such an individual.

With such an individual at least half their job is to keep people in line without throwing a punch. Ironsides might be as effective a fighter as river from firefly, but she doesn't look scary, which to me means she would have trouble keeping the miners in line without actually cracking skulls, which is terrible for productivity. There is nothing wrong aesthetically with her, but I really hope the fluff changes from what we understand it is now, as I have extreme difficulty seeing how she could be any kind of effective keeper of order without actually causing injuries. Sometimes you need that to happen, but the ideal leg breaker intimidates through presence alone, but can get it done when the metal meats the meat.

To me I can certainly buy that she could wipe the floor with a room full of Johans, but I don't buy that she wouldn't be forced to prove that pretty much every night.

Minor disappointment.

• Like 1

Love the image, hair style, and costume, but to me she just doesn't look like a leg breaker. She really lacks the visual presence and intimidation factor you'd want in such an individual.

With such an individual at least half their job is to keep people in line without throwing a punch. Ironsides might be as effective a fighter as river from firefly, but she doesn't look scary, which to me means she would have trouble keeping the miners in line without actually cracking skulls, which is terrible for productivity. There is nothing wrong aesthetically with her, but I really hope the fluff changes from what we understand it is now, as I have extreme difficulty seeing how she could be any kind of effective keeper of order without actually causing injuries. Sometimes you need that to happen, but the ideal leg breaker intimidates through presence alone, but can get it done when the metal meats the meat.

To me I can certainly buy that she could wipe the floor with a room full of Johans, but I don't buy that she wouldn't be forced to prove that pretty much every night.

Minor disappointment.

Reputation and bearing have as much to do with that as physical presence, though. If she's tough enough to be a Master-level character in the M&SU, she'd have to prove her mettle exactly once before everyone knows what it means for her to knock on your door. 

Perdita, Samael, etc all have reputations that precede them, I dont see why she wouldn't as well in short order. Malifaux is actually a smallish city, and they seem to have more modern tech than the date would suggest (aethervox for example). Some photos of her beating someone to a pulp would get around. And if the art is any indication of demographics, its not like there's a ton of women of color in the city, so she's going to be recognizable. 

Its not like Seamus is so fearsome because a fop in a frilly shirt and hat is everyone's secret fear (yeah yeah, I know he has magic, that's mostly in jest). 

• Like 1

She's pretty steampunk. She's wearing coveralls and work-type clothes, and fits right in with the likes of Kaeris and the rail crew. I don't really understand where you're getting the 80s/90s vibe at all. 

The raised collar, the Pockets on the trousers, the Studded gloves, the new wave faint paint.....etc ;)

Yeah she looks cool and I really do like the look and thankful she's not running round in her stockings and low cut top  (giving credit were its due), but 100 years out of place imho

See to me, at least the way they've set it up, the workforce has a high turnover, (read mortality) rate. Reputation firstly only works if your workers personally saw someone else get skull cracked, and with all the constant influx of new convicts and workers even if those new recruits have heard how deadly she is, the mental expectation vs what she actually IS will almost certainly be the cause of new recruits constantly pushing and testing her, which is going to again result in more injuries then her superiors are most likely going to want.

This is a personal opinion, and if it doesn't bug you np, I'm just stating why it bugs me. Just like in a bar even if someone is the best fighter on earth you don't hire such an individual as a bouncer if they don't look the part they aren't ideal because the first part of their job is to look as intimidating as possible to help prevent trouble from happening. The second part is to end it if it happens.

She looks cool, but I wish she was doing something.

This is the part I don't really understand. Most master sculpts, in M2E and 1.5, are just people standing there. Off the top of my head, I can think of like one master sculpt that is really dynamic or "doing something", and that's M2E Lady Justice, a sculpt which I have heard more complaints about than compliments. 

I mean, obviously no skin off my back if you don't like it, I just don't get why that complaint doesn't also apply to Ramos, Rasputina, Pandora, Marcus, old Von Schill, old Hoffman, Kirai, etc etc etc

• Like 2

I hope the Captain has an the option to wear his Rocketeer helmet. Not that the head isn't cool, it'd just be a pity to make a rocketeer and not let him wear his helmet.

Ironsides is cool, but I agree she doesn't really stand out compared to a Wastrel (though remember when Wastrel art came out, people thought they would be much more than 4SS minions). I think Ironsides needs access to Wastrels for her street brawls though.

• Like 1

I hope the Captain has an the option to wear his Rocketeer helmet. Not that the head isn't cool, it'd just be a pity to make a rocketeer and not let him wear his helmet.

Maybe the Firestarter will be more like a rocketeer. He has a a jetpack and everything, at least that would be my guess.

A local henchman is expecting a fat guy with a cigar, but that would be a tad funny with the jetpack.

article-2432921-06311764000005DC-628_306

Pictured: a non-threatening pose of someone who would not utterly break you in a bar fight?

I dunno guys, bias on the side of me really liking the pose, but I wouldnt say "just standing there" ? Im basically going to have something be a Sonny Liston for me on her base. Or Wyrd should do that for me. Actually yeah. Wyrd! Hey Wyrd! Do this sort of thing:

c9RvZu3.png

• Like 3

She punched his arms off :D

No but seriously, she does reminds me of the famous boxers.

A K.O.ed opponent would be a perfect thing to add for that "little detail" I needed on a model representation to make at least a difference on her monotone colored suit.
You can always paint on additional details on her suit like an iron for ironing on the back of her jacket, or whatever.
M2E has a lot of victims on the minis base, so I'm up for this 100%.

::goes to google ironsides, to see if there is a significance to her name::

I like her, she's got a traditional pugilist pose, I'm not sure what you were expecting. She doesn't do magic, she doesn't use a big weapon, she doesn't do kung fu. She hits things with her fists. I really like the high waisted victorian trousers and the tool belt, I don't think it looks un-victorian, but it definitely is covering the punk side of steampunk as well as the Victorian side.

If you were doing true Victorian you would have something like this.

tumblr_lex5pvoeUw1qbbb44o1_500.jpg

• Like 7

When we were told that Arcanists would be getting "Something Different", what they meant was "A Black Chick".

i swear, if she was white/ a dude, the forums would be splooshing over her, being a tough looking character in an iconic pugilist pose. When it comes down to it, almost all the 2.0 master minis boil down to "a person standing around". Seamus is  in a passive pose looking like a reject john, and he makes the cut? Rasputina's new sculpt is pretty lame and doesn't even  fit the fluff. She's the chosen vessel of the avatar of the Tyrant of cold and famine, HUDDLING UP IN A PARKA. She gets a pass? Sonnia is half asleep (and partially laying down) just holding a lamp and sword. Lilith is some brainless runway model in a stupid fashionista outfit posing with a sword for the first time. McMourning decided to go into battle wielding a lab specimen. Ramos is hangin out, petting his spider. Tara is just standing there passively with a sword in her hand. Marcus is a dude with a stick. The Brewmaster is a midget with a mini-keg and a stick. None of these characters exactly scream dynamic, aggressive poses. Most of them are a step back from their alt sculpts even, and are all a massive step back from the 10 thunder wave of McCabe, Misaki, and Mei Feng. Lynch and Yan Lo beat most of the 2.0 models as well because they are actually doing something. Of the 2.0 crowd, only Lady J, Perdita, and Nicodem show any real action/aggression, and J is pretty widely crapped on. Ironsides is not magically adept. Its not like she was going to be in a mecha suit throwing a hadouken. She's appropriate for the fluff.

• Like 2

This is the part I don't really understand. Most master sculpts, in M2E and 1.5, are just people standing there. Off the top of my head, I can think of like one master sculpt that is really dynamic or "doing something", and that's M2E Lady Justice, a sculpt which I have heard more complaints about than compliments. 

I mean, obviously no skin off my back if you don't like it, I just don't get why that complaint doesn't also apply to Ramos, Rasputina, Pandora, Marcus, old Von Schill, old Hoffman, Kirai, etc etc etc

Sonnia is one of my favorite sculpts in M2E and she's not doing a lot.  She just stands there mournfully exuding regret and hubris. 

When we were told that Arcanists would be getting "Something Different", what they meant was "A Black Chick".

She looks cool, but I wish she was doing something.

Must....resist.....M-Marcus jokes....!!

See to me, at least the way they've set it up, the workforce has a high turnover, (read mortality) rate. Reputation firstly only works if your workers personally saw someone else get skull cracked, and with all the constant influx of new convicts and workers even if those new recruits have heard how deadly she is, the mental expectation vs what she actually IS will almost certainly be the cause of new recruits constantly pushing and testing her, which is going to again result in more injuries then her superiors are most likely going to want.

This is a personal opinion, and if it doesn't bug you np, I'm just stating why it bugs me. Just like in a bar even if someone is the best fighter on earth you don't hire such an individual as a bouncer if they don't look the part they aren't ideal because the first part of their job is to look as intimidating as possible to help prevent trouble from happening. The second part is to end it if it happens.

I bet nobody cares what her reputation is when she's setting fire to your house and punchisizing your face until you give her your dues.