PWU W2 Playtest - Hypotheses aka Theory Wars

So I want to just lay down some foundations for playtesting the next expansion for Puppets Wars Unstitched. Find the puppets here.

First I'd like to seperate the theory from the evidence. So this thread is for first impressions and posting general hypotheses. To make this worthwhile, and not just a dumping ground for useless feedback, players can come to this thread and pick up a hypothesis to try out, posting their evidence in the other thread. That way we are able to go through a process without getting tangled up in our stitching.

So get your thinking thimbles on and share your thoughts =]

I'll start, i'll focus on the new masters for now.

Lucius

I can see a lot of potential with him. The first thing that grabbed me was his Divided Loyalies ability, allowing him to ignore either a :rams or :masks in the Animation Requirement of a Puppet within Range 3. At first this seems a huge advantage. However, Puppets in Unstitched are generally far easier to animate than in the previous edition, and unlike other masters, he is limited by range (which conflicts slightly with the mobility of the mask puppets).

Looking at the rest of his card, it becomes clear that Lucius has a very defensive, tight formation playstyle. Guild Hound seems an auto-include with him on first impressions - it gives him combat 4 and the potential to reactivate, while he sews it up and can make it perform an action without exhausting. Pulling Strings is the first thing I would try and break, as it doesn't state that the cost of the action must be paid (like it does with Malifaux Cherub's Can't Say No to You). I suppose Lucius' downside is that he works best in tight formation, but if he does so then he's sacrificing board control. Will be intesting to see if it's possible to get a mobile formation going. But overall, I like his flavour and think he's on the right tracks.

Colette

Change Outfit is exactly what I would expect from her, since Tomes have always had more affinity for upgrades than other suits. Magical Threads is interesting, as I wouldn't think of Colette as someone I want to get into combat with, but then with an upgrade limit of three she is quit adaptive. Cassandra is an obvious combo, not just because of the thematic ties, but the combination of Magical Threads with Southern Charm. I look forward to playing Colette, as I think she'll help place a little more focus on upgrades, which have always been a fun, if illusive part of the game.

Marcus

My favourite master from 1st edition, so I'm clearly biased. Saying that, I wasn't too pleased with when I first looked at him. The idea of passing Burning from puppet to puppet sounds like fun, but it seems better placed on Sonnia or Kaeris (or Iggy, or Firestarter, or... you get the idea). I was very fond of my Stuffed Animals in 1st edition, and am sad to see no synergy with them. However, sticking with the positives, Tag Your It has a lot of potential once you look beyond Burning. So overall I'm torn with Marcus. I think he could prove really effective, but lacks some of the animal kingdom flavour I loved before. Still, will give him the benefit of the doubt when I test him.

Pandora

She caused a lot of woe in 1st edition, and not for all the right reasons. That said, I like her. Tangled Memories might not be quite as effective as it would've been in 1st edition (and Lucius and other mask masters can just ignore it), but I can see it coming in handy. Spooky Whisper is nice to, though I can see myself fielding fast puppets against her, so I can hit her then run away. On the face of it she looks like one of the weakest masters, but she does have a suprising upgrade limit of three, making her almost as adaptive as Colette, plus I think her toybox plays a big part in her strategies.

These are just first impressions, I'll start thinking about what tiybox to take with each.

Edited by ThePandaDirector
  • Like 1