dgraz's new painting thread

dgraz

In yesterday's game ZFiend told me about these and yeah, certainly amazing stuff! Really nice work!

Are you going to add vegetation to the bases? As I think that they are a bit boring currently (though the small mushrooms are awesome) and making them more lush would make the Silurids themselves pop even more.

Thank you and yes, most certainly. These are just the first three models of a jungle-themed Zoraida Swampfiend crew commission.....I like to do all the bases at the same time so once the crew is completed they will all get 'jungle-fied'. If you scroll back a few pages you'll see updates on each model for the last Dreamer crew I did....without any foliage, then a final group picture with all the bases done.

DGRAZ,

On the color thing certain things just strike me as odd or "out of place" I guess. It is kinda hard to explain because many of these models have no real world or earthly (I guess) equivalent.

Is your Wildergiest on fire? His white blends in with the snow theme, but whats with his main body?

I love your Lord Chompy, but hate the dreamer on him. Is he blue because hes a ghost? Anyway over all I think hes too dark next to an already mostly dark model. I think you should have gone white ghost boy or alive flesh boy, and used brighter colors on both ideas.

As for your Silurids I just don't like them. Swamp creatures of that size and color would have a poor ability to blend in to their natural environment and would be destroyed. Plus I would have liked the gator or other greenish themed colors, and them to be more uniformed (the same) in appearance.

Just my thoughts I'm a pretty hard critic on painting though. On the bright side I'm not immune to comments my models are up :)

Nighthater

The Waldgeist is a Birch tree in fall colors. The Dreamer is blue because it's his 'dream form'...the one on foot is his more regular version.....I wanted him to tie in to the other Nightmares, so he's a similar color to them, just lighter.....I suppose I could have gone brighter.

The Silurids.....my client wanted a jungle themed crew, and asked for Dart Frog colors on the entire Silurid 'family' of models....which fits my style so I was happy to do it.

My style is heavily comic book influenced so uses a lot of bright complimentary colors. On anything natural, I always research real life to mimic (patterns/markings and such), but I almost always pick the brightest things I can find or alter the colors to make them brighter. This also serves me fairly well as a Henchman because you can see my models from across the room....so they attract attention. I agree with you that the Silurids could have easily been a more "natural" color....and more in keeping with their 'Perfect Camouflage' ability....but with my style I would probably never choose that route.....looking back at the Silurids I did for my Marcus crew is more of the same....they have the whites and blues to fit my winter theme, but the blue is complemented by orange....which you would never see in real life. I rarely do anything in uber-realistic colors.

I'm not being disdainful of your opinion...my style isn't for everyone.....and is pretty contrary to the usual 'gritty' Malifaux look. I'm simply stating why I make some of the choices I make and why that's unlikely to change. My technical skills continue to improve and need improvement but my color choices are probably here to stay.

• Like 2

I think too many times colors get defaulted to darker or more realistic. I like to see models that pop on the table and really highlight the model. As a former Henchman, I can definitely say having models that stand out is a huge help -- I have a bunch of Guild painted in dark dirty browns, and while they look GOOD they also don't look like much of anything from a distance.

I prefer the 'utility' of brighter colors to realism. I just think it does more for models.

• Like 2

Thank you and yes, most certainly. These are just the first three models of a jungle-themed Zoraida Swampfiend crew commission.....I like to do all the bases at the same time so once the crew is completed they will all get 'jungle-fied'. If you scroll back a few pages you'll see updates on each model for the last Dreamer crew I did....without any foliage, then a final group picture with all the bases done.

Ah, I have no idea why I didn't realize that these were for the same force (I mean, the mushrooms really should've been a dead giveaway there).
  • Like 1

Yeah, they'll all be tied together....this Zoraida crew will have the most foliage, the Dreamer crew was in the middle (with a few more big rocks)....the Jakob Lynch crew will follow and they'll be the least foliage with more rocks.......but the 'shrooms will carry throughout.

That'll be the end of my NB commission for a while. We'll see where I go after that.

Thanks. As I said above, I always do research and try to stick with patterns already available in nature and these guys were no different....I spent quite some time just studying different frogs to find the pattern I thought would transition best to the more humanoid form. To be honest, it was a pretty stressful job....the clean lines between the black and the color were pretty tough to get mirrored on both sides. It was worth the effort though.

DGRAZ,

Ya well when all was said and done you asked for me too elaborate on my color comment, and I did. I still think your work overall is incredibly impressive.

Also I would never tell someone to change their style. At the end of the day their your models paint they how you love them.

Nighthater

DGRAZ,

Ya well when all was said and done you asked for me too elaborate on my color comment, and I did. I still think your work overall is incredibly impressive.

Also I would never tell someone to change their style. At the end of the day their your models paint they how you love them.

Nighthater

No big.......as I said, I wasn't being dismissive, simply explaining my process. No offense was taken....and hopefully none given.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a lot.

How do you take the pictures btw? I haven't been able to take good pictures of my own models :(

You don't want to take pictures like me.....I'm not a photographer....it's why I don't usually enter online painting comps.....The color is always off.....like those guys I just posted....the first batch is much more orange than the pic shows....and the blue is actually turquoise. I have a cheap old camera.....and I just muddle through hoping to find a good shot.

If you want to take better pics, post up asking for help...there are a ton of people on here far more qualified to help you with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Mama:

100_3012_zpsc94fe805.jpg

100_3013_zpsfa059a10.jpg

100_3015_zpsca16ebbf.jpg

Mama says; "Don't mess with my babies!"

100_3017_zpsd51fe992.jpg

This was the inspiration for the Mother......with it's three colors it was kinda perfect for me so I could do the three different groups then have her tie them all together. I left the spots off of the legs for the client as he prefers bold blocks of color.

4469098315_7bf9cee263-300x300.jpg

C&C always welcome.

• Like 9