[SPOILERS] 12 Names for 13 Tyrants

Iron Heel

Do you happen to remember where you saw this? I don't recall ever reading anything about a connection between the Grave Spirit's arrival and the Neverborn's creation. Far as I know, all the Grave Spirit did was basically kill everything and they immediately tried to lock it away in Kythera.

I remember reading something similar in the first Wyrd Chronicles...but I'm not 100% sure.

Also something on how Neverborn were artificial beings or something... I have to re-read te old fluff.

I remember reading something similar in the first Wyrd Chronicles...but I'm not 100% sure.

Also something on how Neverborn were artificial beings or something... I have to re-read te old fluff.

There is "Til Gran Kythera Dow" in Chronicles 3 that leads into the stories of the 1st edition rule book (which are about Seamus trying to reopen Kythera to release the grave spirit again with a side order of December). Chronicles 1 just have a three way brawl of Ortegas, Seamus, and Killjoy.

It's been a while since I last weight in on this, so I thought I'd update my original list slightly;

The Tyrants we know;

Nytemare: Lord Chompy Bits. Currently hanging with a small boy, partly by choice, partly because the child is somehow able to keep him there. 

Obliteration: Tara's BFF. Had a whole nice prison for himself until Tara released it during the Dead of Winter campaign. 

Plague: Currently occupying a Hamelin lookalike. Was apparently a scientist. Probably a very bad one, considering how impatient he is. 

December: The Voice in Raspy's head. Arguably the dunce of the tyrants, having failed 3(?) times now to manifest.  ;)

Gorgon: Related to the Gorgons tear, which is currently embedded in Seamus's head. Also seems to have a role in Molly and Kirai's stories, making her one of the more far-reaching Tyrants in terms of influence. 

Cherufe: Trapped within either Sonnia's Lantern, or Sonnia herself. 

Dragon #1: The first of two supposed Dragons refers to itself as "The" Dragon, and resides within Shenlong. Presumably escaped Earthside aeons ago, built up his Monk temples and has now recently returned to Malifaux to do...stuff...

Shez'uul: While not stated outright, this is almost definitely the demon trapped within Viktoria's Massemune Sword. From the original book 1 background he/it was captured while Earthside, although as we know from Shenlongs story, it wouldn't be the only instance of an earthside Tyrant. 

The ones we don't have confirmation on;

Despair: Has never been mentioned outright, but on the basis of its name it's quite likely to be the malevolent force that resides in Pandora's Box.

Fortune: Best guess thus far is that this might be the Hungering Darkness. Mind you, HD is more to do with addiction than gambling. Ruleswise Huggy is not a Tyrant, and his background in M2E book 1 refers to him as a "powerful creature", not a Tyrant. So unless someone knows of anywhere that refers to him as a Tyrant, the jury is out on him. 

Witness: No other info, although the Law & Order type name could indicate that this one is related to either Lady Justice, Jack Daw or possibly even the Governor. None are great candidates though.

Dragon #2: We've so far only heard about one Dragon (Shenlong's buddy), with no info forthcoming about a second. Could be an opposite kind of entitiy to Dragon #1, like Yin and Yang? Or possibly it will be more like a Western-style Dragon. Honestly though, we have no info at all about who or what Dragon #2 could be.  

Meridion: Based on the name, it may have something to do with lay lines and astrological power, or (if you take the chinese medicine route) related to life force and healing. Again, we've no info at all on this one. Even the name gives us very few Malifaux-relevant clues as to where he/she/it fits in. 

Shenlong is the Dragon of the Stars, She'zuul, I believe, is the second dragon, Witness is Perdita, Despair, Pandora.  We don't know Fortune or Meridion.

""When the survivors opened the breach [NOTE: the portal to Kythera beyond which the Grave Spirit lies], Death itself
was loosed on the world. It destroying the tyrants
one by one, yes, but it was a cancer that infected the
whole of the world, and kept on growing. The breach
between this world and that one couldn’t be
repaired. It brought madness and corruption,
transforming this land into what you see today. For
the people that survived, their minds became
poisoned, and they became all but extjnct. Only
those who embraced the madness growing inside
them managed to survive.
"

From Book 1, Pg 208 - in regards to the War against the Tyrants, bold part is the creation of the Neverborn

This is told by Viktoria of Blood to Viktoria of Ashes. The Neverborn were created by and out of the inhabitants of Old Malifaux when the war against the Tyrants [Power mad sorcerers] became desperate. The people opened a Breach looking for help, and accidentally opened it into the Grave Spirit, a plane-spanning being made of pure Death.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still a bit confused on the Grave Spirit being a Tyrant of the entity that killed the Tyrants because of this quote (Book 3 p.144)

It was the fearsome Grave Spirit, an ancient Tyrant Entity thought to have the least influence or desire to walk upon Malifaux again. Only at places rich in death, with a tenuous gateway to the aether-world, such as the shrine at Kythera, could he even be communicated with. Or so it was assumed. Seamus had researched the issue well, driven more and more insane with each dark passage he read. But the Event had awakened in him a greater understanding of the power unleashed upon them all. He gathered it, and in such a place where innumerable spirits lingered and were drawn from the other side, the mighty Spirit could be called.

The Grave Spirit is not one of the Tyrants named by Perdita in M2E Core Book, so that leaves either Book 3 as a poor choice of words (which has evidence given the description in Book 1 and the association of Gorgon to Death already, looking at Molly), or the Grave Spirit is the Tyrant without a name.

There also could have been a retcon. That's always a possibility. But the Grave Spirit is definitely not one of the Tyrants as they are described in the first book.

• 2 years later...
On 2013-11-05 at 5:32 PM, Rathnard said:

So the Tyrants we know;

Nytemare: Lord Chompy Bits

Obliteration: Tara's BFF

Plague: Currently occupying a Hamelin lookalike

December: The Voice in Raspy's head. Currently the dunce of the tyrants, having failed 3(?) times now to manifest. ;)

Gorgon: Related to the Gorgons tear, currently embedded in Seamus's Head.

Cherufe: Trapped in Sonnia/Sonnia's Lantern.

And the one's we don't;

Shez'uul: Related to Viktoria's Massemune Sword. Possibly the demon who was originally trapped in or banished by the blade? Then again, that particular demon was earthside at the time... maybe Shez'uul crossed into Earth much earlier, like Zoraida crossed from Earth to Malifaux?

Fortune: My first guess is that this might be or be related to the Hungering Darkness. Mind you, HD is more to do with addiction than gambling. Best guess is that Fortune will show up in Lynch's story at some point as another force he has to try and make a deal with.

The Dragons: The Samurai entry in the M2E book mentions that they answer to "The Dragon", so at least one of them could be 10-T related. Perhaps the second is an opposite, ie. like Yin and Yang?

Despair: If she wasn't already mentioned I would have said this was the Gorgon. Other than that, nope, don't have a clue.

Meridion: Maybe something to do with lay lines and astrological power of some kind?

Witness: Jack Daw Related? Not sure how it ties in with his background though - my understanding is that Daw was some kind of sacrifice involved in the closing of the first breach? Another theory might be that there's some relation to Perdita, what with her recent seeing truthyness and all...

...and the one's that may be tyrants;

Grave Spirit: Could be the Gorgon, but until the M2E book I thought they were seperate, with Grave Spirit representing death/entropy and Gorgon representing Despair? Then again, IIRC Grave Spirit resided in another dimension that was iopened in desperation by the original inhabitants of Malifaux to stop the Tyrants. Right??

The Governor: I personally think this guy's gotta be a tyrant. That, or he's already got some serious power and ambition.

If read Latigo and The Inferno in the Guild chapter of the M2E core book, it would make sense that Cherufe is contained within Sonia herself and the mask she wears is the thing keeping Cherufe under control. 

On 5/23/2017 at 8:40 PM, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

If read Latigo and The Inferno in the Guild chapter of the M2E core book, it would make sense that Cherufe is contained within Sonia herself and the mask she wears is the thing keeping Cherufe under control. 

That is correct.

Or it was.

Cherufe has left the building.

Just now, iamfanboy said:

And by some marvelous coincidence, the Burning Man appeared above London almost at the same time as Cherufe and the Governor-General disappeared...

And above San Francisco weeks before then. :D

See also: A Fire in the Sky

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be pertinent to sing "Starman" when playing the Cult of the Burning Man when ToS ships? Cuz there's a Starman burning in the sky, he'd like to come and meet us, but thinks we'll be burned alive. :blast

Also:

Meridion: Tyrant of the Gibbering Hordes that lost fighting against the Nephilim and were imprisoned under the seas of Malifaux. Agents of Meridion such as the Stormsiren wish to claim Earth in the name of Meridion. Imprisoned somewhere underneath the seas in Malifaux.

Cherufe: Ripped from Sonnia during the previous Governor General's botched ascension. Possibly no longer Cherufe but a fused Combo-Tyrant with the GG. Currently Earthside (London, see The Other Side).

Is it possible for the original post to be updated and does the previous Governor General deserve a place?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2017 at 1:31 AM, The Warlock said:

Would it be pertinent to sing "Starman" when playing the Cult of the Burning Man when ToS ships? Cuz there's a Starman burning in the sky, he'd like to come and meet us, but thinks we'll be burned alive. :blast

Also:

Meridion: Tyrant of the Gibbering Hordes that lost fighting against the Nephilim and were imprisoned under the seas of Malifaux. Agents of Meridion such as the Stormsiren wish to claim Earth in the name of Meridion. Imprisoned somewhere underneath the seas in Malifaux.

Cherufe: Ripped from Sonnia during the previous Governor General's botched ascension. Possibly no longer Cherufe but a fused Combo-Tyrant with the GG. Currently Earthside (London, see The Other Side).

Is it possible for the original post to be updated and does the previous Governor General deserve a place?

The GG combined with Cherufe to form a single entity, so it might be better to just update/change Cherufe's entry with The Burning Man.