Mr. Lynch

irishdave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I start with a base of 2 Beckoners and 2 Illuminated, plus upgrades for Lynch. I favour the Casting Expert for Huggy, but resummoning him is fine as well. I also tend to go for Cheating with cards face down and then thro Nexus on Huggy for NVB or Misdirection on Lynch for TT.

Remaining point go with whatever'll help me most with the schemes. I like throwing a Teddy in there when Im playing NB, just because. More illuminated works well too. Im hoping that in waves two a squad of 3 depleted is going to rock my socks off. But with what you've got there you can tie stuff up easily with Huggy and shoot in brilliance with the beckoners (as they dont scatter in combat, its not a :ranged attack)

Its effective and nasty.

Always room for stuff you like, I just like a core of "gives you brilliance" and "takes horrific advantage of brilliance". Oiran tend to fill the same control role that Beckoners have, but beckoners also do Brilliance, so I take them over Oiran.

Haven't seen Wastrels in 2e yet, so can't comment on them really, but I feel like they'll have trouble beating an illuminated in strength and resilience against Brilliant targets.

Slightly of topic, but is Huggy both a henchman and a totem now?

I want my book...

Yes. He also has a special rule that drops off his Totem rule if you choose to have him lead a crew (so that it'd be, y'know, legal. :P)

EDIT: Ninja'd!

I've been running Lynch mostly "in theme," with very solid results. Most of my lists start with Lynch, HD, two Illuminated, two Beckoners (at 50 SS.) From there I've been experimenting with other model combinations, mostly to try and keep my activation count up. I usually run Lynch as Neverborn (HD loves the Neverborn upgrades) and I've found that a pair of Terror Tots works really well. Once you get a hold of the ace of :masks, you can auto-Sprint once per Tot you have, and if you have another ace you can sprint/Defensive Stance with all your Tots.

I'm really looking forward to the next wave of models, because I'm hoping that the Depleted will fill a similar spot in the crew (cheap, slightly mobile bodies.) And of course it will be interesting seeing what Grave and Tannen bring to the table in M2E.

I'm really looking forward to the next wave of models, because I'm hoping that the Depleted will fill a similar spot in the crew (cheap, slightly mobile bodies.) And of course it will be interesting seeing what Grave and Tannen bring to the table in M2E.

Since the balance focus has shifted from entire factions to individual crews, it would be reasonable to make the Depleted Lynch's objective grabbers(/brilliance pinatas).

Ha! Man, I need to start a counter in my signature for how many times I ninja someone...

It is the 10T forum, I probably should have been expecting it. :) Smoke & Shadows, and all that.

Since the balance focus has shifted from entire factions to individual crews, it would be reasonable to make the Depleted Lynch's objective grabbers(/brilliance pinatas).

During the beta, I was really hoping for brilliance pinatas on the Depleted. Now with Play for Blood, I don't think Lynch strictly needs it, but it would be helpful.

Funny thing about the Depleted: in the previous edition, I remember them not being particularly well regarded, but if you just dropped them into M2E with those rules (and a few tweaks as necessary) they'd be excellent "warm body" models. I guess they were just ahead of their time. :-P I think they'll make the transition fairly easily.

Kinda back on topic: I haven't really run Lynch in 10T, but I can absolutely see it working out well. His ability to pick up discarded aces has synergy with a number of 10T models: Rail Workers for their (0), Orian for Defensive Stance, Archers and Torukage for Rapid Fire, etc.

In one of my recent games with Lynch I discovered just how powerful always having a card to discard can be. It makes it trivial to go Defensive with most (or all) of your crew, and if you have any "discard a card to x" abilities, you can kick off all of them with just one card. Very potent.

The one thing about 10T Lynch that I don't like is I feel like it really limits how potent HD can be via upgrades, since none of the 10T upgrades really click with him. There are still some solid moves: Recalled Training is always amazing (particularly if he has Casting Expert,) Addict could be very useful, and he could still potentially tank well for a turn with Betrayal.

The dynamic may also change depending on how Lynch's Avatar works. Its going to eat an upgrade slot anyways, and if his upgrade does something like merging the two together, it may be worthwhile to just run HD without upgrades and just have him run around causing trouble and accomplishing schemes (he's still ultra mobile.) In that case, 10T becomes a much more attractive faction choice.

All just supposition of course. But I definitely think Wave 2 is going to shake up a lot of crew comps with all the new options coming, and Lynch is definitely in that pile.

During the beta, I was really hoping for brilliance pinatas on the Depleted. Now with Play for Blood, I don't think Lynch strictly needs it, but it would be helpful.

Funny thing about the Depleted: in the previous edition, I remember them not being particularly well regarded, but if you just dropped them into M2E with those rules (and a few tweaks as necessary) they'd be excellent "warm body" models. I guess they were just ahead of their time. :-P I think they'll make the transition fairly easily.

Do you get good use out of "Pay for Blood"? Don't you think it can bring Lynch too close to where the action is?

A really cool thing would be if a model with brilliance were killed it would generate a Depleted. Kind of a "Levi" way of getting new models. Since Lynch crew is composed by quite expensive models it would be nice to be able to get some cheap additional ones during the game.

But whether or not the summoning part will be a reality, the Depleted will be great if they can turn out to be a cheap scheme marker dropper with some descent speed for grabbing objectives. In additon to being another model with brilliance which can keep the Hugster alive.

Maybe? But Brilliance is kind of a Lynch thing, where Fast is an everyone +tara thing. So tara gives you fast so she can hit you harder, why would Lynch give out brilliance if it was a buff? It'd have to be restricted to friendly models with brilliance or you'd be crippling your main debuff.

Also its on a ton of his models already so it'd be "Lynch's crew gets X" rather than the Tara style of handing it out... could work, but it'd need more thinking on it

Lynch is a lot more survivable now, a SS for a reliable push out of combat or a misdirect can keep him alive and his holdout pistol can do some horrific damage. Lynch isnt a pushover anymore...

How do you position Lynch and your crew? In additon, do have a model baby sitting him and taking damage from misdirect (like a Beckoner) or how do you make use of it?

I guess the real question here lies in whether or not you really mix thing up with Lynch and get him close to the fight, or if you play him in a more responsive faishon by positioning him a bit further back and mostly pinning down models that tries to either flank him or run away from the fight.

Do you get good use out of "Pay for Blood"? Don't you think it can bring Lynch too close to where the action is?

As Mister Shine said, Lynch can pack enough shenanigans between Squeel, Misdirection, and SS use that he can survive some reasonably dangerous scrapes. You definitely need to be careful with him because he has a relatively low Wd total and he has no other defensive tech to help him (Armor, HtW, etc,) but judicious use of AP and spacing goes a long way to keeping him alive. I've had him survive through some pretty remarkable situations, and that was in the beta before Squeel was even an option.

Play for Blood is something I don't usually plan to use (I think it's always best to try and have a Beckoner apply Brilliance, then have everyone else capitalize on it,) but it can be extremely nice to have that tool for Lynch. Sometimes he needs to go settle things on his own or your opponent sneaks something into his danger zone later in the turn and you only have him left to activate, and in those situations it's great to have a highly reliable source of Brilliance on Lynch. His gun is great, but because it targets Df and is a :ranged attack its much easier to mitigate than a Wp attack (with a high starting Ca to boot.)

EDIT: To answer your second question, I tend to play Lynch further back, but still in a reasonably aggressive position. He tends to be the bearer of some kind of proximity based buff (either LoS for Expert Cheater, or the 6" bubble for reviving HD,) so between that and his shorter ranged attacks I want him to be able to contribute to the game.

Typically he's either swooping in to finish off something that was tagged earlier (Final Debt can be hugely effective in this role,) or have him shore up the line a little bit if the models in the thick of things are running into trouble.

I don't feel that Lynch provides enough crew support to really justify hanging way back compared to someone like Ramos, who can do a lot for his crew even without making an attack all game, so I feel like you need to be making attacks with him at some point during the game to justify bringing him.

One other thing that can make a big difference is how much hand sculpting you get to do in the early game. I find myself often going into Turn 2 with an extremely good hand between the initial draw, Mulligan, and the discard-draw at the top of Turn 2. I often have a good enough hand that you can afford to play more aggressively, and then either make sure the attacks connect, or dodge at the right times.

I often find myself kind of "waving up" with his crew: HD, the Illuminated, and the Tots are actively running around causing trouble. The Beckoners hang back and try to stay safe, Lure when appropriate, and Whisper at targets. Lynch is usually somewhere around where the Beckoners are (at least in terms of how far up the table, if he's not standing near them) to back them up from getting rushed, and help pick off anything particularly problematic.

Edited by Nephalumps

Yeah I tend to have Lynch back, but still within range, Beckoners as far back as possible (their 3" aura of preventing Brilliance from dropping is not worth the risk of losing one) then illuminated and Huggy ranging up picking off targets I make brilliant. Sometimes I'll have an illuminated hang back if I think there's a risk of Lynch get swamped by something, but usually my opponent has their hands full with the stuff I put up in their face.

Thats the basic plan at 40SS, at 50SS add in 10SS worth of something else. I do like Teddy in that role, its easy as hell to make someone fail a wp duel against the beckoners.

Typically he's either swooping in to finish off something that was tagged earlier (Final Debt can be hugely effective in this role,) or have him shore up the line a little bit if the models in the thick of things are running into trouble.

I don't feel that Lynch provides enough crew support to really justify hanging way back compared to someone like Ramos, who can do a lot for his crew even without making an attack all game, so I feel like you need to be making attacks with him at some point during the game to justify bringing him.

One other thing that can make a big difference is how much hand sculpting you get to do in the early game. I find myself often going into Turn 2 with an extremely good hand between the initial draw, Mulligan, and the discard-draw at the top of Turn 2. I often have a good enough hand that you can afford to play more aggressively, and then either make sure the attacks connect, or dodge at the right times.

Right, I am starting to see the nuances of how thinks should work. It seems like with some good positioning, especially with 3-4 aces, he can do a ridicoulous amount of damage to a given model. In theroy at least, he is a mid-range monster, which is not that common among master to be.

Besides, Lynch's ability to get a steady flow of potent hands is an exelent point. That might actually be his greatest offensive and defensive skill.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

If I owned a Kade model it would be a brilliant baby.

Ah, brilliant!

Please bear in mind that this is based off the latest beta that went out (South Africa is not super great with shipping) so just ignore what isn't relevant.

In my Ten Thunder crew I like to play Yamaziko with the Lynch. We play 50SS so my crew looks like this: Lynch with Expert Cheater, The Rising Sun, and Woke Up With a Hand; The Hungering Darkness with Endless Hunger; 3 Illuminated; 1 Beckoner; and Yamaziko maybe with Recalled Training.

Obviously it is an aggressively offensive crew and fast. So I find that Yamaziko's (0) is really great for preventing counter charges as the crew moves up the table. The Hungering Darkness and Beckoner are used to draw models in and if I have high cards I burn a stone for Heed My Voice to get Brilliance for the game. I am usually pretty reckless/aggressive with The Darkness because he can't be ignored and it means that I am likely getting Brilliance on something for Lynch to bring it back after the Illuminated or Lynch himself take care of the thing. I've found it works really well. The crew manipulates the opponent's movement, it is very resillient even without Yamaziko having to come into it, it is fast too, and can dish out a boat-load of damage.