M2E Scale

UltraQ

graeme + Math: Very well articulated on scale problems, something I couldn't quite put into words myself. And I too have high hopes for future Wyrd plastics (even if I don't like the new rules).

It's not so much about whether the model conforms to what the player thinks Ht1-3 is, it's about whether the model looks appropriate for it's base. BA doesn't in any way look like a 30mm model, Joss looks like a 40mm and so does Shang (only one foot on the base for me, and again, GIANT for a 30mm 'totem'). The Judge also only has 1 foot on the actual base surface. Add to that the Hungering Darkness and new Poltergeist on 50mm, for me M2E has turned into 'The Edition of Giant Totems'. Once Ramos fixes the Leviathan, they should make that a totem and stick it on a 1000mm base, and even then he should only be able to fit one foot on there ;)

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

graeme + Math: Very well articulated on scale problems, something I couldn't quite put into words myself. And I too have high hopes for future Wyrd plastics (even if I don't like the new rules).

It's not so much about whether the model conforms to what the player thinks Ht1-3 is, it's about whether the model looks appropriate for it's base. BA doesn't in any way look like a 30mm model, Joss looks like a 40mm and so does Shang (only one foot on the base for me, and again, GIANT for a 30mm 'totem'). The Judge also only has 1 foot on the actual base surface. Add to that the Hungering Darkness and new Poltergeist on 50mm, for me M2E has turned into 'The Edition of Giant Totems'. Once Ramos fixes the Leviathan, they should make that a totem and stick it on a 1000mm base, and even then he should only be able to fit one foot on there ;)

Well, if Wyrd is not the only miniatures company using the same mold making company, then they cannot be the only ones making such nice plastic models. WWX's models supposedly come from the same facility, using the same materials. So, unless their sculpts are just garbage, then that's at least two companies completely on par with each other. Adding in that WWX is a brand new game, no previous editions with metal models and possible scale differences, I'd say they've hit the ground running, and have certainly hit their stride. The only thing left to see is their product on store shelves side by side with Malifaux.

Yeah, and I think that's why you don't see many people talking about the WWX quality - it's just not really readily available yet so most people haven't seen it or had experience with it.

Well, if Wyrd is not the only miniatures company using the same mold making company, then they cannot be the only ones making such nice plastic models. WWX's models supposedly come from the same facility, using the same materials. So, unless their sculpts are just garbage, then that's at least two companies completely on par with each other. Adding in that WWX is a brand new game, no previous editions with metal models and possible scale differences, I'd say they've hit the ground running, and have certainly hit their stride. The only thing left to see is their product on store shelves side by side with Malifaux.

Yeah, and I think that's why you don't see many people talking about the WWX quality - it's just not really readily available yet so most people haven't seen it or had experience with it.

Wyrd is using Ghost Studios for their plastics, the same guys that did the Battletech plastics and most of Wargames Factory's plastics (not even getting involved with that). While the quality, especially with the Wargames Factory stuff, is "negotiable" the models that I have seen have at least been in scale.

Wyrd is using Ghost Studios for their plastics, the same guys that did the Battletech plastics and most of Wargames Factory's plastics (not even getting involved with that). While the quality, especially with the Wargames Factory stuff, is "negotiable" the models that I have seen have at least been in scale.

There is at least one place on the web (blog-o-sphere) that compares the two companies products side by side. From that blog the WWX stuff has less of "the fiddly" bits, cleaner less delicate joins (paraphrase) and detail on par with Wyrd's. No mention of dramatic scaling issues for the WWX stuff.

Of course I agree that not having an established line for reference is a boon for WWX as well.

There is at least one place on the web (blog-o-sphere) that compares the two companies products side by side. From that blog the WWX stuff has less of "the fiddly" bits, cleaner less delicate joins (paraphrase) and detail on par with Wyrd's. No mention of dramatic scaling issues for the WWX stuff.

Of course I agree that not having an established line for reference is a boon for WWX as well.

I just listened to a podcast today that talked about this exact topic. Gaming Done Right was very positive on the WWX plastics.