M2E Mei Feng

r4st4f4n

Vapormancy is golden, I rarely leave home without it. It has several uses, firstly it's her highest Ml, so against high Df models it gives you an extra option.

Secondly you can use it against your own or your opponents low Df models to generate the blasts that hand out +1 burning to models around her. This gives her her own method of generating the +flip on tiger claws for everything that is near her.

Finally as pointed out above, the trigger on Tiger Claws or Jackhammer to Vent steam is absolutely priceless. Bear in mind that Vent Steam is a negative flip per use on all attack actions that use Ca or Sh not just shooting.

So with Vapormancy+Seismic Claws is not improbable for her to railwalk+jackhammer+vent, vapormancy, tiger claw everything around her with +flip and then vent steam again. Against some crews this is really horrible.

For the third upgrade I go for defence. I usually take Misdirection if Ten Thunders, or if Arcanists I'll take Siphon Essence/Price of Progress for depending on what I'm facing.

Edited by vonevilstein

Vapormancy is golden, I rarely leave home without it. It has several uses, firstly it's her highest Ml, so against high Df models it gives you an extra option.

Secondly you can use it against your own or your opponents low Df models to generate the blasts that hand out +1 burning to models around her. This gives her her own method of generating the +flip on tiger claws for everything that is near her.

Finally as pointed out above, the trigger on Tiger Claws or Jackhammer to Vent steam is absolutely priceless. Bear in mind that Vent Steam is a negative flip per use on all attack actions that use Ca or Sh not just shooting.

So with Vapormancy+Seismic Claws is not improbable for her to railwalk+jackhammer+vent, vapormancy, tiger claw everything around her with +flip and then vent steam again. Against some crews this is really horrible.

For the third upgrade I go for defence. I usually take Misdirection if Ten Thunders, or if Arcanists I'll take Siphon Essence/Price of Progress for depending on what I'm facing.

Edited by vonevilstein

I've been running Seismic Claws, Philosphers Stone and Imbued Energies. That alpha strike turn when I chuck the Stone and Energies for 2 cards and Fast and is fantastic.

At the same time, as someone mentioned above - with her extreme mobility she's excellent at scheming.

VonEvilstein is making me want to look at Vapormancy again though... I usually discard it because she doesn't need another Melee option, but you're right about Ml7 and burning.

I've been running Seismic Claws, Philosphers Stone and Imbued Energies. That alpha strike turn when I chuck the Stone and Energies for 2 cards and Fast and is fantastic.

At the same time, as someone mentioned above - with her extreme mobility she's excellent at scheming.

VonEvilstein is making me want to look at Vapormancy again though... I usually discard it because she doesn't need another Melee option, but you're right about Ml7 and burning.

I ran with Vapormancy, Arcane Reservoir and Imbued Energies last night and regretted swapping Seismic for Vapormancy by the end. >.< Pandora was 1Wd away from dying for Assassinate by the time I ran out of AP to toss at her!

AR is kind of awesome. Expensive at 2ss, but awesome.

Excellent question!

I took Line in the Sand and Assassinate. I also had Bodyguard, Frame for Murder and Deliver a Message available. We were playing a custom strategy that required a fair amount of movement.

And it could be that I needed to be facing a horde crew for the action, or a more shooting/casting crew for Vent Steam (although I did enjoy this trigger - caused a lot of negative flips).

• 2 months later...

I'm having trouble getting combinations off at the moment, it seems like she's got so many triggers I can't figure them all out! Are there any good obvious combos I'm missing?

Also, I'm getting the impression she' better at taking out minions than masters. Am I right? Does she prefer group combat to solo?

I certainly see her as great for killing minions, but having a though time killing off masters. In the games I've played Mei she is great at hurting a master but never has the power to kill them out right. I've also found her Df to usually be 1-2 too low to rely on her Df trigger. I really like her play style, but I think I'm playing her a bit off.

My new idea for her is to charge a master at the start of an activation, then use rail walker to escape. In the past I have used rail walker to move up the table and charge from very far away. Maybe waiting an extra turn and using it as an escape plan will work out better.

I'm finding she outpaces her crew quite quickly. Considering spiders for quick jumping, but with no way to recreate them I'm not so sure. I'm finding her crew lacks a certain punch, bags of tricks other crews seem to have and getting shot before getting into combat.

But then again, I suppose it's just me thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the table.

Wait, can you stack several vent steams?

I use Metal Gamin as objective runners for mid-board objectives. They have very little going for them in this regard except that they are very difficult to kill and very cheap as Falcon says.

For longer-range objectives, I use Firestarter (Flight+Reckless+Wk5 is speedy), December Acolyte (starts in the corner) or the Emberling (Wk5+Incorp+3ss is cheap enough I don't care if he does nothing else :)).

As for the Firestarter adding Burning to the Rail Golem - I have done this a few times, but I haven't been really overjoyed with the result. When I take the FS, it's usually because I want her running/gunning/dropping Markers. Spending one turn shooting the Golem so he can be a little more killy is often not a great use of her AP. The other side of it, is that the Golem tends to have enough Burning on him by turn 2/3 to do what he needs to do. In fact, if I have more burning on him turn 2, I'm more tempted to let him out range the rest of my attacking crew members, and then he dies. With fewer burner I'll hold back until turn 3 and then Locomote all the way in.

Having said that, if I was facing a horde crew with Turf War, I'd be really tempted to push up the Burning on him for the vent boiler (0) (or whatever it's call, rarely use it). Burning for everyone!

I haven't used the Union Miners yet.

The Emberling, Steam Arachnids and a Pair of Molemen are usually my first choice in objective running with Mei. The molemen are independant and dont need babysitting so you have 2 activations of just achieving strats and schemes with them, the emberling is also the same whilst also having a nasty counterpunch with a Cg of 9 and handing out burning. Steam Arachnids just go wherever you need them beacuse of unimpeded as well plus being a cheap construct they provide a 'port point for Mei and Railwalker.

Metal Gamin are my 'hold' models they are always rockstars and always perform well when the rest of my crew works around the solid rock a pair of them provide.

I tend to prefer Howard over the Rail Golem as he is a little quicker and more deadly plus I dont have to worry about building him up in any way ... he just works out of the box and if I have the stone to spare Imbued Energies is astounding with him.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...