The New Ortegas

Jonas Albrecht

I'd have to say yes. The Ortegas generally run with less models than a lot of other crews, I think it's important to thin the enemy crew a bit at first so you aren't being horribly out-activated every turn.

They run less models than other crews? so if I play the starter box will I have to sit a model out or can I have the whole family from the box set on the table?

You can run an Ortega starter box at 50ss...that's 6 models with full upgrades.......most other starters can't do that. Many crews can run 8-9 models easily at 50ss.

sounds like you have some time in playing the Ortega's, what would you say are some pros and con's to them? do they play better than their 1.5 versions? and do you think all the new 2.0 crew boxes are balanced now?

I worked on the Ortegas and Marcus heavily during the playtest. I do believe that crews are very well balanced. The only issue with the starter boxes is that they are not all equal in point values.....most need at least an extra blister to run at 50ss....that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as the other models they can take create a balanced crew at around 50ss.......which I think they do.

Perdita was often considered the weakest Guild master in 1.5.......I disagree as I had to retire her because I won too often with her....but mileage varies. I think they are great fun to play in this edition as well.

As someone mentioned before, it's good to expand in faction....because some masters are great at some strats, but weaker in others. Perdita excels at something like Reckoning or Squatter's Rights....and anything that requires some killing. Due to the small crew size and the fact that many of their special abilities want them close together, they can struggle at something like Reconnoiter.

Wave 2 may see that change a bit as they will have access to the 5ss Pistoleros (so they will have more models)........but they will still suffer from the problem of wanting to be close.....we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

Thanks Dgraz, you have given great write ups and advice the past few day, I have made up my mind I'm going to get 2.0 Marcus and Ortega's and my girlfriend will get her Rezzor crew. She's all about fluff and Seamus caught her eye with the Jack the ripper theme, while I'm drawn to Marcus being the beast master of archanic enhanced beast of malifaux, and the Ortega's being famous monster hunters of malifaux. So that should keep me pretty tied up on painting for awhile ;p

• Like 1

Glad I could help. It's easy for me to talk about this game I love so much :)

I've been fooling around with several different crews lately (aside from 'Dita and Marcus that are mainstays)....I've used Raspi, Sonnia, Lady J, Lucius.........that's why I feel pretty confident saying that they're all pretty balanced. Malifaux is worse than crack........all of the crews play so differently from each other.....and they all have their own brand of fun.......it's just too difficult to stick with one. You're just lucky that your questions were mainly about the two crews that I know best :)

• Like 1

Glad I could help. It's easy for me to talk about this game I love so much :)

I've been fooling around with several different crews lately (aside from 'Dita and Marcus that are mainstays)....I've used Raspi, Sonnia, Lady J, Lucius.........that's why I feel pretty confident saying that they're all pretty balanced. Malifaux is worse than crack........all of the crews play so differently from each other.....and they all have their own brand of fun.......it's just too difficult to stick with one. You're just lucky that your questions were mainly about the two crews that I know best :)

Hey no problem, they were just crews that I have always loved there fluff and there crews abilities and more eye catching figures. No doubt I know I will have more questions once I start getting some games in. I'm going to stay away from playing Rezzors They just sound a little more complex on play style with all the summoning and corps counters/tokens. I just want straight forward attacks without much thought in doing it, sounds like I'm a Guild person at heart. now my next problem at the moment is that I cannot find the M2e starter box for the Otegas "Latigo posse" are they going to be released on the Malifaux home site this month, I believe I read somewhere that new stuff was being released on the 10th of this month.

Unlikely. They are slated for a Feb release, but Wyrd likes to give the brick and mortar stores first shot, so they'll have them before you can order them from the Wyrd online store......I think Wyrd is about a month behind the brick and mortars (don't quote me on that).

Feel free to shoot me any questions you have.

• Like 1