The New Ortegas

Jonas Albrecht

I enjoy it on Santiago, but I think I'll try putting it on Perdita next time.

huh.....see I like it to be able to pull models out of melee so they can shoot or so you can shoot at that enemy....as Santiago is the only one that can actually just shoot into any combat (with Family) I never really put it on him. Why do you like it on him?

huh.....see I like it to be able to pull models out of melee so they can shoot or so you can shoot at that enemy....as Santiago is the only one that can actually just shoot into any combat (with Family) I never really put it on him. Why do you like it on him?

Because he can shoot and then pull a friendly out of harms way, or he can use it on a non-Family member who doesn't benefit from "I'll Cover You!".

I had a game against Perdita the other night, She had Diestro, Badge & Trick Shooting and was absolutely brutal against my Misaki crew even with using recalled training she tore threw both Yamaziko & Misaki with a fair bit of ease. I was also quite impressed with Fransico & can see these two as a great frontline pair.

I never would have thought of Diestro on Perdita, I'm definitely going to try that.

Also: Would you be able to do the 0 action to pull a family member to Papa, and then give them the dynamite? I thought dynamite was only "at the start of activation"

I could be missing things here.

My biggest problem with the whole family is the rest of the guild line! What is there going to be in 50 point games, now or ever, that I want to sub out for? I love all the models!

*stares at the card in his hand*

Hold this: At the start of this models Activation....

are you SURE?

Nope. I still have the last Beta ability in my head...which was just like an Aura that was always up. Sorry about that.

So in that case, if you had the Hermano on Papa, no you couldn't use the (0) then give the buff. You would need to make sure someone was within 2" before announcing that Papa is Activating.

In my game against Misaki with Perdita, I had Perdita hit Misaki like a truck when she was in Melee. With the upgrade to give negatives to SH attacks, and the auto-crit in melee, I beleive Perdita is the hardest hitting Melee Master in the game... which is strange.

Nino is one amazing piece. Being able to stop your opponent from interacting is such a strong ability.

The Enslaved Nephilem has also been a boss. There's a lot of neat movement tricks with the Ortegas, and they've been the most fun Guild crew I've played in the new ruleset.

I beleive Perdita is the hardest hitting Melee Master in the game... which is strange.
I really can't disagree much here....I don't think she is really the 'hardest hitting' (Viks) but she's bad news bears and there isn't much that's going to stand against her.

Nino is one amazing piece. Being able to stop your opponent from interacting is such a strong ability.
I've found this a little disappointing actually....even if you spread out as much as you can (which isn't much really because they buff and support each other) their movement tricks are all...toward friendly or friendly family models....so you often end up pretty clumped up.....which limits Nino's coverage.

Now, when the Pistoleros come out...I'm hoping to be able to take more advantage of it.

The Enslaved Nephilem has also been a boss. There's a lot of neat movement tricks with the Ortegas, and they've been the most fun Guild crew I've played in the new ruleset.

The Neph is virtually an auto-include for me.....just for 'Shackled' alone he is worth it. I totally agree about them being the most fun Guild crew.

Oh the irony, a shooting master being the hardest hitting melee master...

[philosoraptor] maybe lady j is the hardest hitting shooting master then?[/philosoraptor]

Kind of makes you wonder what the point is with Lady J. Damage output? She isn't the best at hitting, and most Perdita, the Viks, and Lilith can hurt almost as much if not as much.

Oh well. I was going to pick the Ortegas up soon anyway.

I found a killer use for "Enfrentate a Mi!" It doesn't require friendly models to be engaged by an enemy model, allowing Francisco to be placed in base with any enemy model within 7 inches, great tool for getting him in position and out of dangerous or unwanted engagements, possible combo with Nino shooting at the target he's in melee with if you have Diestro on him.

• 2 months later...
Looks like Diestro got errata'd to non-master.... pity.

Had to happen. Just one of those things that slipped through. I'm certain her taking it was never the intent.....no one even mentioned it until right at the end of the PT...it was a loop-hole. I PT'ed her many, many times and I never even considered putting it on her....and never realized I could. She was far too powerful with it. It also ruined her fluffiness of being an epic shootist. I'm happy with the change.

It's much more balanced now. It is still a powerful ability....but you have to put it on someone that isn't as survivable as Perdita.

• 2 months later...

either way, I was wanting a kick ass ranged attack crew and the Ortega's seem like a blast to play.

They are. My opponents have some difficulties adapting to them, because they are the only ranged crew in out meta, but they are by no means overpowered. (I really hate Mei Feng with them. Grrrrrr.)

does the enslaved nephilem have new abilities to it in 2.0 because I was reading the 1.5 enslaved nephilem and didn't understand what was the purpose of the model. how are you supposed to use him?

Of course he has. This little totem is so versatile! In essence, it moves your people around out of activation. That is a great thing, let me tell you. Pushes aren't impeded by severe terrain, as well, so he can move your models through woods or similar terrain.

The downside is, however, that he clumps up your crew. They are pushed towards each other, so some setup is needed. But there is always something, no?

• Like 1