The New Ortegas

Jonas Albrecht

Alright, we've known what shape Ortega2e was going to take for awhile now, but with the book, we've got the final form of Malifaux's premier monster hunting family.

Perdita Ortega

-Personal Upgrades: Os Veo,Trick Shooting, Aura Ancestral

-Other Upgrades: Plant Evidence, Vengeance Bullet, The Thalarian Stone, Badge of Office, Tormenta de Plomo, Diestro, Hermanos de Armas, Hair Trigger

-Totems: Enslaved Neverborn, Governor's Proxy

The new Perdita is much like the old: Fast, Killer stats, and a little fragile. None of her upgrades are bad, and the biggest problem you'll have is deciding which one you're going to leave out for Badge of Office. I can't say you'll play her exactly like you would 1.5 Perds, because the Family dynamic is so different, and in my mind a big improvement.

Francisco Ortega

-Personal Upgrade: Wade In

-Other Upgrades: Plant Evidence, Vengeance Bullet, Thalarian Stone*, Badge of Office, Lead Lined Coat, Tormenta de Plomo, Diestro, Hermanos de Armas, Hair Trigger

Definitely the biggest Family shift from 1.5 to 2e was Francisco. No longer an easy first cut from your Ortegas box set, Francisco is now the second half of a fantastic combo with Perdita. El Mayor is a fantastic bonus whose only cost is a little forward thinking when it comes to positioning, and "Enfrentate a Mi!" is a fantastic ability that will let you rescue your ranged dudes from a melee. While Diestro isn't Francisco's personal upgrade, you're almost never going to leave it off him while he henches for Perdita.

Nino Ortega

-Upgrades: Plant Evidence, Lead Lined Coat, Tormenta de Plomo, Diestro, Hermanos de Armas, Hair Trigger

Still a sniper, Nino's ability to focus and extend his range to the length of the board makes your early positioning choices critical for him. Stick him somewhere high and send your opponent's models running for cover. My only complaint is that his upgrade choices are a bit bland.

Papa Loco

-Upgrades: Plant Evidence, Lead Lined Coat, Tormenta de Plomo, Diestro, Hermanos de Armas, Hair Trigger

Much like his 1.5 counterpart, Papa Loco is great at making your opponent keep his models from clumping up. However, his Hold This ability makes me want to park him next to Nino, behind cover, for the entire game.

Santiago Ortega

Santiago is the least changed from his original counterpart. The biggest difference you're going to see is that you're going to be missing your Guardian buddy for the time being. His ability to ignore Family members in melee with a target makes him invaluable.

The Ortegas were my first crew in Malifaux, and remain my among my favorites. I'm incredibly happy with their M2e incarnations. I can't wait to see Abuela2e, and I'm even excited to see what form the Pistoleros take. I haven't really looked at Ortegas past the Family yet, because they're all pretty good choices.

Edited by Jonas Albrecht
  • Like 1

My only question here (since I have been away from the family for so long and really think I might be getting back to them for a while)

I know in the past having a death marshal was handy as they were efficient and cheap, with their cost increase and with Francisco becoming an integral part of the family dynamic, would you still pay for a death marshal in larger games?

:D

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

also, great write up, thank you for that! I missed out on picking up the book at gencon since they were sold out.

I know in the past having a death marshal was handy as they were efficient and cheap, with their cost increase and with Francisco becoming an integral part of the family dynamic, would you still pay for a death marshal in larger games?

I have not really gone over the final Death Marshals, let alone put them on the table, but I'll make it a point to try them out.

No. Witchling Stalker yes....for Dispel Magic.

Perdita Ortega

-Personal Upgrades: Os Veo,Trick Shooting, Aura Ancestral

-Other Upgrades: Plant Evidence, Vengeance Bullet, The Thalarian Stone, Badge of Office, Tormenta de Plomo, Diestro, Hermanos de Armas, Hair Trigger

-Totems: Enslaved Neverborn, Governor's Proxy

The new Perdita is much like the old: Fast, Killer stats, and a little fragile. None of her upgrades are bad, and the biggest problem you'll have is deciding which one you're going to leave out for Badge of Office. I can't say you'll play her exactly like you would 1.5 Perds, because the Family dynamic is so different, and in my mind a big improvement.

Francisco Ortega

-Personal Upgrade: Wade In

-Other Upgrades: Plant Evidence, Vengeance Bullet, Thalarian Stone*, Badge of Office, Lead Lined Coat, Tormenta de Plomo, Diestro, Hermanos de Armas, Hair Trigger

Definitely the biggest Family shift from 1.5 to 2e was Francisco. No longer an easy first cut from your Ortegas box set, Francisco is now the second half of a fantastic combo with Perdita. El Mayor is a fantastic bonus whose only cost is a little forward thinking when it comes to positioning, and "Enfrentate a Mi!" is a fantastic ability that will let you rescue your ranged dudes from a melee. While Diestro isn't Francisco's personal upgrade, you're almost never going to leave it off him while he henches for Perdita.

How do you feel about Diestro on Perdita herself? Giving all her opponents - on defense flips against her in melee, while she gets the in-built ram, should give her the ability to take out most minions/enforcers without any trouble.

How do you feel about Diestro on Perdita herself? Giving all her opponents - on defense flips against her in melee, while she gets the in-built ram, should give her the ability to take out most minions/enforcers without any trouble.

I only discovered this little combo late in playtest. I tried Diestro on her several times, but never realized that enemies were at a neg flip (the old gunfighter rules were in my head). I probably would have lobbied against it if I had realized sooner.

If you can maintain a Df buff on Perdita from Francisco's El Mayor, then the combo is scary good....almost dirty. There are also multiple ways to get Perdita into combat and out again....so it isn't all that scary putting her in melee.

I only discovered this little combo late in playtest. I tried Diestro on her several times, but never realized that enemies were at a neg flip (the old gunfighter rules were in my head). I probably would have lobbied against it if I had realized sooner.

If you can maintain a Df buff on Perdita from Francisco's El Mayor, then the combo is scary good....almost dirty. There are also multiple ways to get Perdita into combat and out again....so it isn't all that scary putting her in melee.

Diestro and Perdita is a lethally good combination. It turns her into one of the best close combat masters in the game since opponents need to spend a stone just to get a straight cheatable flip on defence. Anything that can't spend a soultone is hosed.

Diestro and Perdita is a lethally good combination. It turns her into one of the best close combat masters in the game since opponents need to spend a stone just to get a straight cheatable flip on defence. Anything that can't spend a soultone is hosed.

Not entirely true. they can take a pre-emptive defensive action. that being said, with Perdita's mobility, she definitely has the ability to pick targets, making that a risky plan.

I got my first game with the family in last night, and I have to say the death marshal actually came in handy for me. But we'll see as time goes on I suppose, as I sidelined papa loco to do it.

sadly as the rule book was sold out and I didn't (for whatever reason) grab the guild arsenal deck so I am using the final set of beta cards, which lead to an interesting discovery. according to my upgrades, Perdita does not have any limited upgrades. is this still true? or just something from the beta that was changed on release?

b the guild arsenal deck so I am using the final set of beta cards, which lead to an interesting discovery. according to my upgrades, Perdita does not have any limited upgrades. is this still true? or just something from the beta that was changed on release?

I think the fact that you have to spend 20 minutes deciding which upgrades to take is limiting enough. Between her upgrades, the family upgrades, and the generic Guild upgrades (like Badge of Office).........I think Perdita's upgrade choices were the best executed in the entire Wave..........they are all good, they are all usable all of the time, it's very difficult to decide.

I think Perdita's upgrades are the standard to which all other upgrades should be measured.....as far as decision making goes.

that is true, they did all seem pretty good. One of them (though I don't remember which) seemed less important than badge of office while I was building my list. I believe I took os veo and aura ansestral with BoO and left out trick shooting.

then, when the time came to take advantage of the Badge of office, the damage I needed to reduce were from Bishop with his tomes trigger, so I couldn't reduce them. :P

ah, it really is all about planning in this game. oh well, I punished bishop by keeping him in a coffin for the next two turns. :D

then, when the time came to take advantage of the Badge of office, the damage I needed to reduce were from Bishop with his tomes trigger, so I couldn't reduce them. :P:D

Right, and in another game there might have been a lot of cover.....or your opponent whipped out some spirits, or armored models.........in which case, Trick Shot would probably have been better

I always agonize over those choices.

I am loving the new ortegas. I think wyrd have done a fine job with the whole crew and there are some great interactions especially with upgrades. Ie perdita vengeance bullet fransico diestro in combat with opposed master. Has anyone figured how to deal with taras defensive trigger when runing an ortega crew?

Has anyone figured how to deal with taras defensive trigger when runing an ortega crew?

With Melee. Francisco is more of a monster with his sword than he used to be...now that he can use SS all the time. Use one of the numerous movement abilities to get him close to her, then Companion and Flurry.