No love for The Brewmaster?

hackdZ

Yay a gremlins forum! Bout time. ;p

That said, I don't see any discussion on "The Brewmaster" or his band of merry drunks???

Personally, I'm really looking forward to playing him. I like the idea of inflicting - flips on my own gremlins and them getting a + flip for it! Drunken Gremlin Kung-fu, what more could you want right?

Although I didn't get to play him during the beta test, he looks like he would be alot of fun!

What's everybody else think? Did anyone get any games in?

PS: I hope the Moon Shinobi end up looking like the teased artwork we saw.

The Brewmaster appears to be an intricate and awesome master to play. His mechanic is not only hilarious but I dare say subtly more dangerous than he appears.

I would proxy him with some regular gremlins, the problem is I do not own a model that would befit his keg of walking shine (I refuse to use a pig or rooster model for it...). So yeah. I will sit here and anticipate the crew's release with great anxiety.

Brewmaster is an excellent choice as a Gremlin Master. I've had a Hanged drunk in the center of the board (he could only heal himself from BMs aura), Rail Golem same thing. Moon Shinobi are the best 6pt model in the game IMO, Whiskey Golem I'm just starting to put on the table but he can be pretty brutal. If you aren't in a hurry to get him across the table he can have df 9 every turn and still move thanks to his nimble. I've found that running him as 10T with his base crew can allow you to take the Misdirection upgrade to help him survive in melee. Spreading poison is really great with the Hold Their Hair Back Upgrade and some luck spreading poison BM can paralyze 3 models a turn (I haven't been able to do this yet, so far only managed to paralyze 1 then give em more poison!)

While giving the Shinobi :+fate flips from swill is a great idea they really shine when damaging enemy model even without the :+fate to hit. I use swill on enemy model more than on friendly because you can swill an enemy henchman or master twice and then they can't cheat fate, unless they are willing to spend stones to get the :+fate to cancel the :-fate from swill. You can really screw up enemy masters this way since they'll have to focus (2 AP) or focus (1 AP) and stone to accomplish anything. Dropping masters AP is always great!He can be very tricky to get right, I had to play about 3-4 games before it clicked and I got what his crew was about. Of course I just may be dense and others will pick him up quicker than I did! *grin*

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

The Brewmaster appears to be an intricate and awesome master to play. His mechanic is not only hilarious but I dare say subtly more dangerous than he appears.

I would proxy him with some regular gremlins, the problem is I do not own a model that would befit his keg of walking shine (I refuse to use a pig or rooster model for it...). So yeah. I will sit here and anticipate the crew's release with great anxiety.

Put a shot glass on a 50mm base and call it good. If you really want to be authentic when he gets damaged the opponent must take his "poison" damage!

Edited by rgarbonzo

Brewie is very good. Interestingly, I find he can afford to run pretty light on the upgrades (Drinking 'Problem' being the only must have).

Resisting that fourth Moon Shinobi is worth it for further amusing his bread and butter spell of Hangover by including Francois. Stacking Swill on a target and then having Fran go right afterwards - be it shooting or melee - hurts.

Still not sure why this crew, and the gremlins as a faction, didn't get a higher priority at the sculpting and molding stages than re-releases of some of the original book 1 crews. I'm fairly certain that the Whiskey Golem, alone, would have lured in a ton of new collectors of, if not actual players of Malifaux.

Still not sure why this crew, and the gremlins as a faction, didn't get a higher priority at the sculpting and molding stages than re-releases of some of the original book 1 crews. I'm fairly certain that the Whiskey Golem, alone, would have lured in a ton of new collectors of, if not actual players of Malifaux.

My guess is that the plastic crews were on the schedule almost before they decided to do v2, and the art/models for what were almost certainly only vague ideas at the time were nowhere near at the point where wyrd were comfortable setting aside time for them, given that setting that time aside takes a lot of money, and if they then don't have anything to use it with, or have to reorder their schedule, it would lose them a lot of money.

I am disapointed as well that the Brewmaster is not available for GenCon. Ever since I heard about him, he jumped to the top of my list of masters I want. I was preparing to lay down the bucks for him, the Whiskey Golem, and any other ancillary models I could link to him.

I played D&D 3.5 with a gnome drunken master. My most memorable (and favorite) character. The idea of small, nimble, unpredictable, and highly intoxicated troublemakers speak to me on some bizarre level.

I am disapointed as well that the Brewmaster is not available for GenCon. Ever since I heard about him, he jumped to the top of my list of masters I want. I was preparing to lay down the bucks for him, the Whiskey Golem, and any other ancillary models I could link to him.

I played D&D 3.5 with a gnome drunken master. My most memorable (and favorite) character. The idea of small, nimble, unpredictable, and highly intoxicated troublemakers speak to me on some bizarre level.

What you also have to keep in mind is that he is now the only V1 Leader that come the end of Gencon, won't have any models. At all. Be it new plastic kit or old metals.

What you also have to keep in mind is that he is now the only V1 Leader that come the end of Gencon, won't have any models. At all. Be it new plastic kit or old metals.

This makes me sad! Granted Ten Thunders haven't seen anything revelatory (aside from all the pretty new minions), but e'en so, the Gremlins having nothing represented at GenCon feels like a shaft. And not the good kind.

This makes me sad! Granted Ten Thunders haven't seen anything revelatory (aside from all the pretty new minions), but e'en so, the Gremlins having nothing represented at GenCon feels like a shaft. And not the good kind.

Sometimes you get the elevator; other times you get the shaft.

Well, at least it gives us something to look forward to for Gencon 2014.

Messed around with Brewie a little. Feel like Fingers is the real stand out of the Tri Chi bunch. Amazing little control/support piece.

My friend an I have played 2 games with the Brewmaster vs. Guild(Lady J & Perdita). What makes Fingers stand out? We really felt like he was a waste of 10 stones?

Well, he (fingers) definitely has a lot of potential as a control piece, given his abilities with scheme markers. Not only being able to put them down, but being able to take your scheme markers away.

So if your running a strategy or schemes that require no markers, don't take him?

What would your ideal Brewmaster List be?

It appeared to us that while there is great potential for the Brewmaster, his crew still needs to be fleshed out.

Well, given that Fingers has 2-3 abilities directly referencing schemes, It is likely he will be more useful when scheme markers are on the table.

Not every model is going to be good for every situation. I can definitely see a few situations in which Brewmaster might want to bring 3 or 4 bayou gremlins, and the whiskey Golem has a lot of awesome too. I think Brewmaster is going to require a bit of tailoring his crew for the strategy/scheme, but I don't think he's going to move too far off of a core with at least a few Moon Shinobi.

So if your running a strategy or schemes that require no markers, don't take him?

I don't think it's that cut-and-dry because you don't know what your opponent will choose for schemes when building your crew. Also, even without scheme markers Fingers is pretty boss at healing with a built-in Take a Swig plus Pour Me a Double from his Drinking "Problem" upgrade (plus Open Bar is a pretty universally good lure ability on top of that).

In higher point games I'll probably take him just for those reasons. Scheme marker manipulation will just be bonus. But I do think he is VERY pricey for what he brings to the table. He's not a beatstick henchmen at all, which is kind of different to deal with.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm a henchmen and we've have been scratching my head trying to help a frustrated player who has put 3-8 poison counters on most of my Guild Models, using them to paralyze LJ once, yet still get sliced to pieces. Plus, I pineboxed his Whiskey Golem with my Death Marshall before get the poison rebuffs. We're still figuring him out.