M2E Rasputina

Skyfire

I cant find a part number though and its not on the online store

Wow. That sucks. I double-checked it myself. I can only assume that they must be sold out of it.....and since everything is being converted to plastic, they aren't getting more of the old metals. Which would make perfect sense from a business stand-point.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you're in the states I highly recommend the WarStore......they have excellent service there and good prices.

A cursory check of their site shows this (meaning they still have some):

http://www.thewarstore.com/product50348.html

• 1 month later...

Greetings!

I just started Malifaux, I bought both the old and new Rasputina box set and based from most of the old threads I read, I also got EOP. That gives me both Totems. I also have a silent one, the acolyte, blessed, and snowstorm on the way (if my order arrives) to complete all the frozen hearts (or am I lacking anything thematic for raspy?)

If I will be playing against Sonia, Ophelia, McMourning and Neverborn (spcifically pandora, lilith and the dreamer). What are good Upgrades to use with Rasputina? From our demo on 1.5, I am quite unsure how upgrades go and am still at a loss on what to use. Is there also a Generic Upgrade that is usefull for Raspy?

I play a bit of Infinity and Warmahordes (Khador) before trying out Malifaux. Would it be too big a transition aside from using decks?

Greetings!

I just started Malifaux, I bought both the old and new Rasputina box set and based from most of the old threads I read, I also got EOP. That gives me both Totems. I also have a silent one, the acolyte, blessed, and snowstorm on the way (if my order arrives) to complete all the frozen hearts (or am I lacking anything thematic for raspy?)

If I will be playing against Sonia, Ophelia, McMourning and Neverborn (spcifically pandora, lilith and the dreamer). What are good Upgrades to use with Rasputina? From our demo on 1.5, I am quite unsure how upgrades go and am still at a loss on what to use. Is there also a Generic Upgrade that is usefull for Raspy?

I play a bit of Infinity and Warmahordes (Khador) before trying out Malifaux. Would it be too big a transition aside from using decks?

Welcome.

Just reading through this thread will give you a lot of good info. You have (or soon will) all of the models that she really likes......the only one missing would be Hoarcat Prides....you don't need them, but they're themey, they have Devour and they aren't bad in melee....not a bad deal for the points.

The main Generic Upgrade Raspy might like would be Arcane Reservoir.....an extra card in hand is totally worth the cost. But that would be a choice, her specific Upgrades are very good. Reading back through this thread shows you the merits of taking either Shattered Mirror or Armor of December....they are both 'Limited', and a model may only take one 'Limited' Upgrade, so it's one or the other.

Her other Upgrades can all be good at the right time, you need to choose them for the fight.......facing a lot of ranged attacks or a fast melee crew then Cold Nights might really help you.....dropping Ice Pillars down to block LoS or approach paths is invaluable sometimes.......

Facing tough melee masters like Lady J or the Viks that usually carry 3 Upgrades and want to get in your face.....teach them a lesson with Child of December......Paralyze them, then hit them with Shatter, boom 9 damage....and they are at :-fate:-fate for the rest of the turn...easy pickings for anyone else to finish them off. The Bearskin Armor is also great when facing lots of blasts (like Sonnia)

December's Pawn is the only one I personally never take.......I rarely ever draw Jokers (a personal luck problem) so I don't usually get use out of it......your mileage may vary.

Sonnia will be difficult for you because of her Counterspell ability.......I'd probably take Armor of December, the Ice Pillars and possible Child of Dec (for the Bearskin Armor) for her.....give Raspy a little protection....spamming December's Touch on your guys to up their Armor value may help also.

Shattered Mirror should be good vs Ophelia and the Neverborn, but I'd probably shy away from it with McMourning....most Undead are 'Hard to Wound' which makes getting the blasts off very difficult. McMo likes his Flesh Constructs which are hard to bring down....Paralyze them or block them with Gamin to side-line them.......also Devour is nasty against Gremlins because they are mostly all Ht 1 so you don't even need to Paralyze them.

If you're familiar with Infinity and Warmahordes then no, it isn't a big transition. The main difference between them and Malifaux to me is that in Malifaux, every single model is important...even if only for accomplishing schemes or for your activation order or even to be self-sacrificing. And you are involved at every step, if every model is important, then you need to be paying attention all the time, and you are involved all the time.

Have fun.

I played in my first Malifaux tournament this weekend after having been a Henchman in the past and running a few of them. I took Raspy (borrowed my Wife's crew since my new ones are a WIP) and matched her with Snow Storm every game. I lost my first game because I was over aggressive with Snow, and could have moved away and completed schemes to win. I went on to win the next 2 to finish 2-1.

Is there even a reason to take an Ice Golem ever again once Wave 2 is official? Snow Storm is a heavy hitter (though not AS heavy as the Ice Golem), with the added range threat, movement shenanigans, and a defensive buffer.

Kind of disappointing as I really like my Ice Golem paint job, and he is better than last edition, but still just doesn't compare to Snow Storm.

Edited by Rhellion

Honestly, I'm not sure that the two are mutually exclusive anymore. Yes, bringing both of them along will be expensive (20 points I believe before upgrades?). But the standard play size that is being balanced for is 50 points. At that point level, you can bring both of them along and do a 'bash brothers' list. 30 points left to spend on objective runners and support, and you'll do just fine, in my opinion.

Honestly, I'm not sure that the two are mutually exclusive anymore. Yes, bringing both of them along will be expensive (20 points I believe before upgrades?). But the standard play size that is being balanced for is 50 points. At that point level, you can bring both of them along and do a 'bash brothers' list. 30 points left to spend on objective runners and support, and you'll do just fine, in my opinion.

.......and Ice Gamin are so cheap.....

Thank you very much for the replies.

Would it be a better alternative to surround Rasputina with Frozen Hearts than other Arcanist models? I mean if I would be playing 35 - 50 ss, would it still be better to just get all Frozen Hearts? From the threads, there seems to be some love for the Cerberus and Molemen.

I already ordered all the thematic models for Rasputina, though I was surprised the Acolyte and the Hoarcat Pride are not Frozen Hearts :( Would this be enough for me to just juggle all the thematic models for Rasputina? or is there a non-thematic model that would work with her? I actually see a lot of beasts being paired with her but are they any better than Blessed and Snow Storm?

On a side note: If I do get some beasts, it could be very tempting to get Marcus as my 2nd Master. There is already a tactica on him and buying his starter can get me a Cerberus and a Razorspine which I can use on Rasputina. Would the other non beast arcanist models work with Rasputina theoretically?

Something like this?

Rasputina -- 6 Pool

+Arcane Reservoir [2]

+Child of December [1]

+Shattered Heart [3]

Wendigo [3]

Snow Storm [11]

+Frenzied Storm [2]

+Sub Zero [1]

Ice Gamin [4]

Ice Gamin [4]

Ice Golem [10]

+Imbued Protection [2]

Moleman [4]

I think it would work. Honestly, the choice between Ice Golem and Blessed of December is going to come down to personal preference and what are your schemes/strategies. In Reckoning where you want to kill lots of stuff, I'd pull out the Golem. But with strategies where you want to move around a lot more, I'd recommend the Blessed.

And Lupus, that's just what I mean for a list. Two massive beaters, Rasputina, 4 objective runners. If you need to capture more objectives, switch out some upgrades and take a smaller cache.

Would you recommend using non Frozen Heart models as the beat sticks? The Ice Golem really seems terribly slow that it would take an enemy to just go around or avoid it. How does one mitigate it?

Also, I really find the molemen ugly, can I use a gamin, hoarcat pride, an acolyte or silent one to fulfill it's role? I plan to use only thematic models for Rasputina. Is this even a good idea or should somebody kick me in the head for even thinking about it?

Would you recommend using non Frozen Heart models as the beat sticks? The Ice Golem really seems terribly slow that it would take an enemy to just go around or avoid it. How does one mitigate it?

Also, I really find the molemen ugly, can I use a gamin, hoarcat pride, an acolyte or silent one to fulfill it's role? I plan to use only thematic models for Rasputina. Is this even a good idea or should somebody kick me in the head for even thinking about it?

Actually, thematic lists with Rasputina are going to do quite good in M2e. I'm not quite sure what molemen get used for, although I'm betting it's objective running, which the gamin can do as well. Silent Ones are going to be interesting bits of utility, and I'm pretty excited about them still. The December Acolyte is one of the best models you can find, in my opinion. It will really throw a monkey wrench in people's plans. Don't use the cats, so I can't help you there.

In answer to your first question, Howard Langston would serve as a good beater in a Raspy list. But that's more because Howard is just a good beater all around. As far as speeding up the Ice Golem, take a look at Snowstorm's tactical action December's Command, that'll really help speed the Golem up for a few turns to get it into the thick of things.

Actually, thematic lists with Rasputina are going to do quite good in M2e. I'm not quite sure what molemen get used for, although I'm betting it's objective running, which the gamin can do as well. Silent Ones are going to be interesting bits of utility, and I'm pretty excited about them still. The December Acolyte is one of the best models you can find, in my opinion. It will really throw a monkey wrench in people's plans. Don't use the cats, so I can't help you there.

In answer to your first question, Howard Langston would serve as a good beater in a Raspy list. But that's more because Howard is just a good beater all around. As far as speeding up the Ice Golem, take a look at Snowstorm's tactical action December's Command, that'll really help speed the Golem up for a few turns to get it into the thick of things.

Molemen are indeed objective runners and they do it very well. The ability to take a (0) action to move to a friendly scheme marker within 8" makes them surprisingly speedy.

The Ice Golem can also be sped up for a single turn if you take Imbued Energies on it, which you then discard to gain Fast.

Ice Golem can ride Snow Storm too, can't he?

Molemen are indeed objective runners and they do it very well. The ability to take a (0) action to move to a friendly scheme marker within 8" makes them surprisingly speedy.

The Ice Golem can also be sped up for a single turn if you take Imbued Energies on it, which you then discard to gain Fast.

Ice Golem can ride Snow Storm too, can't he?