Tara crew

caen

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bishop could be really good with Tara.

Swift and Fast will stack giving him a filthy 4 General AP to play with. He can deal out Slow to negate the positive effects of Fast that are being handed out and adds an extra threat to the table.

Other Outcasts that could be good are; Convict Gunslinger and Hans for some ranged threat that is otherwise lacking and both can trigger for Slow, Ronin who can Seppuku for additional cards (or Stones), the obvious Killjoy and maybe Hannah (not 100% on her).

The most effective burial mechanism for her at the moment are Death Marshals. Everything else doesn't work if something is already buried. Each Marshal can only bury one thing at a time, and it's relatively easily resistible. I think there are enough protections available that this won't be any more powerful or un-fun making than any other crew's power. I mean, if by turn 5 you only have one model left and it's buried, there's a decent chance you got out-played in previous turns.

Her base crew can only bury models with Glimpse of the Void, which only has an effect if there are no buried models, i.e. they can only have one enemy model buried at a time without fielding other models capable of burying stuff. Also, they have to hit and damage and then the defender has to fail a simple willpower duel. I'm not saying that it will be hard for her crew to bury models. I'm just saying that it's not likely to happen enough to cause a NPE.

I love the fact that one of her core tricks is to give your opponent Fast and that confers bonuses to her own crew. So your opponent gets more AP to play with but are going to die more quickly.

Really makes me feel like the idea behind her is, "Live Fast, Die Young."

In regards to the Bury mechanic being NPE, I think your opponent is only going to have 1 model buried most of the time and that's not unreasonable. The trick is going to be juggling what you're burying and unburying.

Death Marshals need to be in 1" range to Pine Box so you're looking at turn 3+ and as others have said it's not impossible to avoid being boxed.

Glimpse is resistible on a 13, only buries one model at a time, and breaks as soon as something dies. Pine box is opposed with a middling accuracy stat. Offensive burial tricks may be nifty but I think the crews going to get more mileage out of burying their own toys. Using it internally makes for an unparalleled delivery mechanism, a great way to avoid repercussion, and get a little healing and buffing done at the same time.

Edited by hypoking

I'm used to burying big hitters with Colette ao I'm looking forward to trying Tara's take on it. I'm digging the idea (no pun intended) of using void wretches to damage the buried model wjile it tucked away not causing me grief, this is the next best thing to slapping a frilly dress on it.

Glimpse is resistible on a 13, only buries one model at a time, and breaks as soon as something dies. Pine box is opposed with a middling accuracy stat. Offensive burial tricks may be nifty but I think the crews going to get more mileage out of burying their own toys. Using it internally makes for an unparalleled delivery mechanism, a great way to avoid repercussion, and get a little healing and buffing done at the same time.

Agreed, Karina in particular looks pretty fragile.

Tara can "temporal shift" to give all models within 6" fast as long at least one is an enemy. Doesn't work on buried models, but I think thats what people were mtalkign about when they spoke of buffing their own crew. ( i might be wrong, btu didn't see anyone explicitly talking about giving their buried models fast)

Im imagining my first turn with Tara will be something along the lines of

Tara acitivates

(0) eternal moment

(1) soulstone sword strike against NB which I will cheat in order to cause 2 damage and bury

(1) walk

(1) walk

Void Wretch activates

(2) Satiating Void to heal the NB.

Sometime in turn 2. NB goes "Surprise"

I also think running a Death Marshall will be my primary source of healing my crew also. His only job will be to bury my own stuff so I can heal/remove conditions with a void wretch.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Also, I wonder how many people would be silly enough to take Bete Noir against Tara?

I would have thought there were better bury options than the one which only ends next time somethign is killed, especially when you just buried the big damage dealer.

I guess you are picking the Obliteration Symbiote upgrade for unburying. Why don't you instead bury the nothing beast with a death marshall? Or with a void wretch rather than using master AP?

to be honest I was not very familiar with the upgrades.

Now that I have read the one you mentioned I would bury with a DM. THe DM would be the second model activated after Tara.

Tara would be used as the delivery mechanism via the upgrades abilities. On her second activation in the turn you could

(2) Echoes of the Void

(1) Temporal Shift (if an enemy is in range of course)

then the NB gets 2!! activations with Fast thats 6 normal AP and 2 casting expert AP. thats scary!

Of course, anything that survives the guided NB missile strike will be loving the Ht3 Df 3 target staring back at it at the start of the next turn.

Im imagining my first turn with Tara will be something along the lines of

Tara acitivates

(0) eternal moment

(1) soulstone sword strike against NB which I will cheat in order to cause 2 damage and bury

(1) walk

(1) walk

Void Wretch activates

(2) Satiating Void to heal the NB.

Sometime in turn 2. NB goes "Surprise"

I also think running a Death Marshall will be my primary source of healing my crew also. His only job will be to bury my own stuff so I can heal/remove conditions with a void wretch.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Also, I wonder how many people would be silly enough to take Bete Noir against Tara?

you might want to try this instead.

Turn 1

A1-Tara, declare fast and Void Pull something nasty (Secondary Threat), trigger glimpse, walk x2, EM (8'' movement plus deployment means 14'' up the table)

A2-Marshal Pine Boxes Nothing Beast (Primary Threat), walks

(-Filler activations here-)

A3-Tara reactivates, walk x2, Faces in the Void Nothing beast. (Primary Threat is two thirds of the way up the board)

A3i-Nothing Beast chains, charges a soft target nine inches away in order to break glimpse (Primary Threat goes about 33'' Secondary Threat is now deployed balls deep in the enemy lines.

(-Opponent gets a shot at meaningful retaliation-)

A4-Secondary Threat activates, with fast, and goes on a wild rumpus.

No need to wait for the second turn to roll around.

Edit: Unfortunately, you can only echo enemy toys.

Edited by hypoking

to be honest I was not very familiar with the upgrades.

Now that I have read the one you mentioned I would bury with a DM. THe DM would be the second model activated after Tara.

Tara would be used as the delivery mechanism via the upgrades abilities. On her second activation in the turn you could

(2) Echoes of the Void

(1) Temporal Shift (if an enemy is in range of course)

then the NB gets 2!! activations with Fast thats 6 normal AP and 2 casting expert AP. thats scary!

Of course, anything that survives the guided NB missile strike will be loving the Ht3 Df 3 target staring back at it at the start of the next turn.

Echoes can only be used on enemy Buried models, and its equivalent for friendly models would count as that model's Activation for the turn.

One potential problem I can see with Tara is the No Fun Effect for your opponent. In a 5 turn game, having your stuff constantly buried and totally screwed with beyond your control has a very high "no fun" factor. Makes for bad games.

I'm actually thinking the opposite. On one hand, posts like Hypoking's reminds me of the old Rising Powers Activation sequences that could be learned beforehand and fired off to great effect. On the other, there's only one ranged effect in the Crew that can Bury models, and all models Buried by Tara-specific effects can be unburied by killing something. That's really damn good interactivity and one of my favourite bits of the design.

In Hypoking's example setup, Tara can Activate once and Void Pull a secondary threat (let's say Taelor). If I'm playing Lilith, I could murder a Terror Tot in my own deployment zone and have a bash at Taelor before she even Activates. Sacrificing a model to essentially teleport the foe sounds pretty cool to me. Likewise, if something of Tara's buries one of my models, I can kill a Void Wretch or the like to drop it back in a particular place. Sonnia in particular would love to be doing this at range.

The more I read about this Crew, the more I like it.

Echoes can only be used on enemy Buried models, and its equivalent for friendly models would count as that model's Activation for the turn.

Thats a relief. I was feeling a little filthy for a second.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Also, bête can start in play.

Which is a pretty big disadvantage.

Ill disagree on that. Bête starting in play doesn't give you her delivery method, which can be a disadvantage, but it allows you to use her tenebrous aura to protect your few from ranged attacks, and gives you an activation you might have been down. Also it is not as if bête is slow, so she can rapidly charge in when you need her to.

In Hypoking's example setup, Tara can Activate once and Void Pull a secondary threat (let's say Taelor). If I'm playing Lilith, I could murder a Terror Tot in my own deployment zone and have a bash at Taelor before she even Activates. Sacrificing a model to essentially teleport the foe sounds pretty cool to me. Likewise, if something of Tara's buries one of my models, I can kill a Void Wretch or the like to drop it back in a particular place. Sonnia in particular would love to be doing this at range.

Taelor or Killjoy are looking like the most likely suspects. At least until the big ticket resser's arrive with wave 2. Killing your own resources is an option but your basically paying a premium to accelerate Tara's time table which may not be in your best interest. If you kill chaff with chaff than your going to have to find a way to mitigate a beat stick imidiatly activating in your face and doing its thing. If you use your own heavy hitter, like Lylyth to do the dirty then they're going to be down however many ap it took for the blood rite and finishing off Taelor or something similar with one or two ap isn't that fun of a position to be in. I really don't think anybody wants to be within 3'' of a fast Taelor.

Killing Tara's toys could be complicated by Karina's presence. Against Sonia you'd want LFM just to put a damper on reincarnation but it should also be extremely useful for controlling glimpse triggers.

Range heavy armies also present an interesting tradeoff for the crew. As you mentioned they do play against a lot of the big tricks in the crew but they also dramatically increase Tara's own personal survivability. Perdita may be able to stop glimpse tricks but most of the fire power in her crew is just going to bounce off of Tara.

Ill disagree on that. Bête starting in play doesn't give you her delivery method, which can be a disadvantage, but it allows you to use her tenebrous aura to protect your few from ranged attacks, and gives you an activation you might have been down. Also it is not as if bête is slow, so she can rapidly charge in when you need her to.

I'd be more concerned about her card tax. Being at a disadvantage while holding cards mixed with needing to keep a 10 in hand for Bete to remain survivable may not mix too well.

Taelor or Killjoy are looking like the most likely suspects. At least until the big ticket resser's arrive with wave 2. Killing your own resources is an option but your basically paying a premium to accelerate Tara's time table which may not be in your best interest. If you kill chaff with chaff than your going to have to find a way to mitigate a beat stick imidiatly activating in your face and doing its thing. If you use your own heavy hitter, like Lylyth to do the dirty then they're going to be down however many ap it took for the blood rite and finishing off Taelor or something similar with one or two ap isn't that fun of a position to be in. I really don't think anybody wants to be within 3'' of a fast Taelor.

Killing Tara's toys could be complicated by Karina's presence. Against Sonia you'd want LFM just to put a damper on reincarnation but it should also be extremely useful for controlling glimpse triggers.

Range heavy armies also present an interesting tradeoff for the crew. As you mentioned they do play against a lot of the big tricks in the crew but they also dramatically increase Tara's own personal survivability. Perdita may be able to stop glimpse tricks but most of the fire power in her crew is just going to bounce off of Tara.

This is the kind of stuff that I love about this Crew; on paper, at least, there's a ton of stuff to consider in terms of the interactions with every Crew. I'd be pretty comfortable with Lilith starting next to a Fast Taelor (personally I like her better as a tank and control model than a heavy hitter), but I can't think of any other Master who'd have fun in that situation. Taelor I can possibly see as more likely than Killjoy; when you have fewer cards, SS suddenly look very attractive to use.

With my limited M2E play thus far, I can only think of the Guild as this Crew's "natural predator"; Justice would be very happy tearing apart a Fast heavy hitter in an Activation or two and Sonnia loves bunched up Crews and models paying the Incorporeal tax.

And thanks so much for pointing out that interaction between Karina and Glimpse, I was wondering why the hell she would ever go in a Crew.