Iron Zombies M2 discussion

post-4871-13911930296242_thumb.jpg

Well, here are the Iron Zombies. So what do people think about them?

Initially the only really compelling one for me is the Student of Viscera, since slither seems to have a lot of applications. The other two students are pretty much watered down punks, so I'm having a hard time thinking if I would ever use them instead of a punk even if against a construct or undead force, that they are packing wp 4 certainly doesn't help their case either.

The validectorian is more interesting in the sense that he would be our first true fighter henchman. His double + trigger is certainly nasty on a stone user, but his damage spread is pretty tame, so I'm not sure how compelled I'll be to stone to get it. It does have some nice mobility though it's max threat is very short.

The 0 action they all share seems pretty awesome, but I don't know if it's good enough to justify bringing some of these guys to the table aside from the Viscera which I can sort of see working.

What are your impressions on the new toys? Am I missing something here and where would you use them?

post-4871-13911930295743_thumb.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why you think Viscera is better than Sinew and Steel? Obviously, they are specialized, but why are they weaker against their respective targets than Viscera is against his?

Two things, living models are more prominent than undead and a lot more than construct and second and more importantly, Slither. It means he can move 9" disingaging without any problem and go for a different target or simply just retreat and prepare to do a scheme next turn. If it was 7 stones and didn't have slither, he'd be lumped in the same pile of absolute indifference the other 2 students give me. Slither on the other hand gives it a role, it makes it a mobile hunter that happens to get a perk if you can blow a crow on it against living. It also lets it apply it's study group debuff more freely than the others.

Without seeing the rules booklet it's impossible to know, but I suppose it's possible that these models were designed deliberately to be marginally under-powered, on the assumption that the Transmortis set is marketed more towards a fluffy gamer where balance isn't quite as essential.

If you look at these models as an expansion to the Story Encounters section of the M2E rules, they're a great addition. As people are saying though, a little underwhelming for me to want to include them in my regular or competitive games.

Without seeing the rules booklet it's impossible to know, but I suppose it's possible that these models were designed deliberately to be marginally under-powered, on the assumption that the Transmortis set is marketed more towards a fluffy gamer where balance isn't quite as essential.

If you look at these models as an expansion to the Story Encounters section of the M2E rules, they're a great addition. As people are saying though, a little underwhelming for me to want to include them in my regular or competitive games.

This. 100%.

Hope these kind of extra models remain a little pale compared to the "official range" so that they can't inflate the power level and alter the general status quo.

This. 100%.

Hope these kind of extra models remain a little pale compared to the "official range" so that they can't inflate the power level and alter the general status quo.

Excellent remark – such models should be like Story Encounters – used mostly for fun and diversity

This. 100%.

If we are really advocating bah rules, why don't we just cut out the middle man, slap "Through the breach" on the box and avoid any reference to being used in Malifaux? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I would like as a resser player that if I get new resser models they are at least a choice I can consider.

If we are really advocating bah rules, why don't we just cut out the middle man, slap "Through the breach" on the box and avoid any reference to being used in Malifaux? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I would like as a resser player that if I get new resser models they are at least a choice I can consider.

I think you can still consider these models as a choice. Maybe they cost 1 SS more than their real value is. But giving up 1-2 SS in a 50 SS game for the sake of fun and variety doesn't look unbearable to me.

Only in a M2E world would people come out and say they're glad models are plain and boring. The kool-aid is strong with this one. Let me guess they encourage tactical play because they have no interesting abilities and won't scare casuals away? Right guys? Am I doing this right?

These models are snore inducing, even as NPCs they look pretty tame. Hopefully the book adds abilities and shenanigans. If they suck as competitive Malifaux models why even bother having them as an option?

No reason these couldn't have been useful and interesting additions to the rezzer toolbox.

Only in a M2E world would people come out and say they're glad models are plain and boring. The kool-aid is strong with this one. Let me guess they encourage tactical play because they have no interesting abilities and won't scare casuals away? Right guys? Am I doing this right?

Here we go. That old assumption that M2E players are brain washed zombies. Thankfully we've got some folk who have taken the red pill and can see things for what they truly are!

Regardless, the Valedictorian at least is a great addition.

Yep, gives another option for smaller games to run a Henchman. We now have Sybelle, Mortimer, Sebastian and now the Valedictorian.

So the choice at 7SS is a punk zombie or a student? I'm all for variety and theme so depending on who I am facing I can choose the corresponding student to filter down the opponent's hand if they want to target the student.

At the end of the day it's a choice. If the stats were better would these be auto-includes in Resser builds? Possibly. Since they are not, competitive players can choose to ignore them and not take them.

D.

It is impossibe to say for now is Iron Zombie and over- or under-powered or balanced. This stats card are the first official M2E stats cards - rest that we have seen are only Beta. We need to wait a little bit.

In this moment Iron Zombies minions are IMO a little bit weeker choise than Punk Zombie.

I like the models and I might even play for the heck of them. I don't own rezzers and perhaps I won't buy another model, but at least I can have the option now to play a 'sub-par' rezzer crew.

If you don't like the stats or models don't buy them, there are enough models to choose from in the range. And just remember they're just plastic toy soldiers, no need to cause such a fuss about.

Besides that you have brilliant straw man argument skills this tone is absolutely uncalled for. So no, you are not doing this right.

The stat cards do seem quite 'meh' to me, and from what we've seen of the models they're not shouting "buy me! Buy me!" But I am thinking they might look pretty thematic alongside the upcoming Levi crew, so I may pick them up for him - being both undead and constructs helps too for that.

I'll 2nd Squirrel. Don't like 'em? Don't buy' em.

Let the rest of us enjoy them and don't bash them up, they are, after all labeled "can also be used in rezzer crews" it's a bonus for us, they could have made them unusable on rezzer crews for Malifaux. They are not directly made as rezzer models. :)

I like the idea of a solo game with these guys and that's what I'll be getting them mainly for.

I think the attack actions are quite good. Ml6:crows is pretty decent and a :crows flipped in will give :+fate :+fate damage flips to the target.

Plus a (0) to prevent them declaring any triggers. Not bad at all. 1 Wd more than PZ as well. Different base sizes tho.

D.