M2E Marcus

dgraz

What's the thoughts on the new Marcus box? I gotta say seeing the sculpts really made up my mind. The art wasn't so good, the sculpts look fantastic.

Still a little iffy on the Cerberus heads....I'd have to see that model to truly judge. (but the render looks better to me than the original concept art did)

Same thing with Myranda's thighs....too hard to tell from the pic. She's the only one I kinda don't care for.....and will probably stick with my original metal, but we'll see.

Marcus looked huge in the art....like he had a tree trunk for an upper body, he had a very deep chest. He looks a little skinnier in the render....I might be a little turned off by that....but again, must see first.

Jackalope.....stupid cool.

RSR....a-mazin'......far superior to the original.

Cojo.....I wasn't thrilled with the concept, (how do I make a Malifaux Gorilla? Ohh, spikes). I wish they could have thought up something a little more original....like a little different body structure or body covering, or something....the Mauler got spikes too, and an extra set of legs. So, I wish he was a little more different than what I've seen at the Bronx Zoo.........however;

He is one bad-a$$, mo'-fo' looking G...O...Rilla!

Only real downside on this box.............January is too far away. I want it now, like right now, today. Also, seems like a helluva price......for all those big models............thank you Wyrd for switching to Plastics.

I didn't like the art of RSR but the sculpt seems to turn out great.

On Cojo I still agree with you, but he ain't that bad after all.

Marcus I like. Quite a lot actually.

Myranda seems more of a beast now, that part I like.

Cerberus, I like that one also, I just hope it's big.

Jackalope is just evil :D

Hi folks,

There's a new post (from me this time) at PlayItLikeBeatdown.wordpress.com, about more wildlife safari stuff. This time I'm looking at Malifaux's resident (slightly modified) big cat: the sabertooth Cerberus.

Enjoy

Dave/sssk

P.S. if any Wyrd folks would like to send me a promo M2E Marcus box to review, I'd be happy to do so (...it was worth a try right?)

Hi folks,

There's yet another new post up at http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com all about my exploits at Jimmyfaux (a tournament). I'll warn you now, there's a bit of a luck based rant, but after that it's all golden... Promise.

Also I remembered law of meat this time... But chose not to use it.

Also there's some spurious Ramos rubbish in game 2, but true members of Team Marcus can just skip that bit.

Enjoy

Dave/sssk

I love you Dave. I must admit that I don't use the RSR very often. Cojo has really been my go to guy because of his area control thing. But your post has me thinking about them a little more.

I'm very interested in your take on the December Acolyte. I'm a big fluff player too, and I like to run the 'all beasts, all the time' lists, but I've been branching out a little recently.

My new model is the Metal Gamin. In Turf War he is an auto-include now, and almost in Squatter's Rights. As I said, I'm a big fan of Cojo (especially for those Strats) but I'm not a fan of his Df 5....so I normally reach for the 2ss Imbued Protection. But for 2ss more, I get the Df 6 I want, and another significant model with Armor +2 and H2K.

I've only used it twice so far, once it was meh (Perdita ignoring Armor will do that), but in a Misaki Turf War match it was awesome.

In terms of the acolyte, mine is going to be a bit more of a woodland ranger type person (can't decide whether to stick with the current acolyte, or use a wood elf waywatcher or something).

Certainly the acolyte will be in a post soon. Since I got mine it's been in every crew... As in EVERY crew.

I love the metal gamin with Ramos. Haven't tried it with Marcus yet though.

Cheers for the feedback

After reading through the 2nd wave stuff, I've decided not to write a Huggy post, as most of my thoughts are invalidated by stuff in the second wave (namely a whole lot of non-master models with damaging Ca actions).

Acolyte will be up after a non-Marcus post I'm writing at the moment... Unless this one turns out to be rubbish and gets scrapped (as is often the case)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Not totally Marcus related, but there's a post up at http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com about December acolytes, which a few folks requested. I'm not convinced that I did them justice, but have a read, and then give one a go. It won't disappoint.

Dave/sssk

P.S. mine will be painted in autumnal colours and called a "Ranger", so that it sticks with Marcus' wild theme... Just need time to do some painting now

More fun......I guess I'm one of the misguided individuals that wanted it, so thanks for it.

Cool stuff....I'm glad you finally did it, as I just finished painting mine due to your insistence on how good he is.

All of my Arcanist stuff is done with a wintry theme, even my beasts are all done in greys and blues.....I wanted the whole faction to be interchangeable....so he fits right in.

I have been faction flopping like a mofo lately and think I may just join faction Marcus. My issue is theme, when I inevatably want to use things within the faction to maximise, so should I tie them together via bases alone (either do the entire faction in jungle, or snow) or modify the entire army as needed (paint ice golems as stone, use real spiders instead of mechanical...) I had this idea once before but never went through with it...My biggest issue would be that I would re-purpose some constructs with beast models...but they aren't beasts.

@Godspeed - I very much understand that issue. I really like using all beasts with Marcus....but it can really hamstring you to ignore all of the options that the rest of the faction can give you.

I solved my issue by using all the same bases across the entire faction. They are all winter themed.....some rock with snow on it. I also kept a common color-scheme across the faction....using various shades of greys, blues / blue-greys, and some oranges.

I even went so far as to paint my Waldgeist like a birch tree in fall colors.

Raspy won out as the common base because it makes sense....she really needs the winter theme....and all of the other masters...well, there is no reason that there couldn't have been a recent snow-storm.

The only ones I'm not too sure about are Mei and Kaeris....but I haven't gotten to them yet....and I don't really see anything wrong with giving them some snow also....perhaps partially melted in spots.

I don't play Rezzer or NB, so any beasts I steal from there don't matter....any other factions, well I usually go for a more outdoors type base anyway....dirt, rocks, grass....so again, there is no reason that I can't keep to a similar base and just leave off the snow.....it will just be a bare spot in a Marcus crew....it will still be similar enough to fit in.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Most of the beasts (maybe even all of them if I really think about it) really lend themselves well to a winter theme / color palette. Some moles are grey.....some snakes are grey (I painted my RSR like a diamond-back....which can come in some nifty grey/black/white colorations)....my Cerberus like a snow leopard....my Jackalope as an Arctic Hare (actually in more of a fall/spring coloration so it has some grey).....Cojo will be albino.....plenty of grey dogs out there for K-9 Remains and Guild hounds...plenty of black/white/grey/blue birds for Raptors....SRM equals Polar Bear.......I don't think there's anything I can't make fit.

It may seem like a lot of greys....and it is....but I mix it up by doing some things in a neutral grey, some in warm greys, and some in cool greys. The people can be sporting blue and/or orange hues. There really is quite a bit of variation even in such a limited palette.

What common non-Marcus models do you see yourself using, other than the Acolyte and Metal Gamin?

So far, none. Perhaps once wave 2 hits there may be some....like the Gunsmith or the Oxfordian Mages. But I really kinda refuse to commit anything to them until they are finalized.

Marcus is very spoiled for choice right now, and he as well as Myranda key off of, and buff beasts so well....I feel that taking non-beasts would dilute the synergy. I only reach for the Metal Gamin because it's cheap....and I'll probably only reach for the Acolyte if I think I might be facing lots of H2W or Armor, which is what all beasts struggle against.....or if I want to play the 'hand out Slow' game......at least the Acolyte is a fairly stand-alone model that can give something to the crew, and the Gamin's job is just to hang around and buff some big slow moving beast like Cojo (and maybe SRM later).

Anyone else, I can do their job with a beast.....Howard and Joss are great killers, but I can do that with a Cerberus.....spiders are great for objectives, but I can do that with Molemen. I can't really see anything else 'at the moment' that would truly benefit Marcus.

Kinda thinking I may just say "Go Faction Marcus" and not bother with non beasts as a challenge...but we will see when I have my paws on him.

Honestly, it isn't even a challenge. That was last edition. This edition Marcus can run all beasts and be competitive. The two non-beasts listed here are neat, but not required. Depending on the strats and schemes, if you pick your beast crew correctly you should be able to compete with anyone else.