M2E Marcus

dgraz

9 hours ago, R3n3 said:

I  used Darzees maybe 3 times so far. Once to debuff an already activated Izamu, making it easy for my Blessed to deal with him. 

In another game I charged Lilith with my Cerberus as last activation in this turn, leaving nothing left of her. I often use seize the day with Marcus, so the odds of having the first activation the following turn would've be in my favour if the assassination failed...

Cheers 

What do you leave off Marcus to be able to add Seize the Day? I have a hard time giving up Trail, Hunger Cry or Feral

Well yeah but I have a hard time justifying not bringing all 3 every time.  The number of times Marcus has been able to alpha a cerberus turn 1, feral the enemy leader or bruiser, then domesticate it, chain the cerberus in and tear them apart means I just can't bring myself to leave either of the 3 off of him. 

the number of times I don't draw any tomes, let alone low tomes that I would be happy to discard mean that i feel I can't afford to leave Arcane reservoir behind. 

I could manage  to achieve a relatively similar effect without feral or Domesticate, if you walk up and hit the target with the beast trigger (either charging for a 1 action, or walking and then using Ml expert, depending on which limited you use), dauzees chant it and then Alpha the cerberus. It requires 1 more opposed duel, and has a slightly lower range, but not by much. And often has the advantage in the range that you don't also need the mask to leap the cerberus because you are close enough to charge already. 

Usually i never change hunger, trail and feral for anything. They are too strong! consider that you can transform also your own model into a beast. for example if you don't have a tome for using raptor's trigger on one of your model you can use marcus. one combo that i use usually is: cassandra beast, "raptor or marcus", darzee's chaunt on cassandra and alpha. cassandra first turn charge something everywhere on the board 3 ap thanks to IE last attack you push her back 4 inches and at the end of the turn you push her another 6 inches!

• 3 weeks later...

What is Marcus' counter-pick to Quick Murder? What are your most hard to kill expensive models? With and without the beast keyword?

Just looking at the cards I'm leaning towards Blessed of December and Dawn Serpent, depending on rest of my crew and scheme pool. Serpent seems genuinely tanky to an extent while being quick and Blessed should have the mobility to flee like a frightened child from any big threats.

A blessed of December with the Well rehearsed upgrade is pretty tough to kill as long as you have a chance to get it to eat its fill when needed. Also remembering to use it more in its scheme running role on the flanks rather than in the middle where it will probably get attacked more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

I've seen this "issue" raised a couple of times recently and it's really weird to me. It's like saying "model x is easy to kill for models that are really good at killing things."

It's a bit more than that. Eat your fill and hard to wound are nice, but if Nekima charges it, these two abilities wont help it survive much because it only has eight wounds. Two hits from Nekima and it goes down. Somebody like Joss would survive longer.

26 minutes ago, Franchute said:

It's a bit more than that. Eat your fill and hard to wound are nice, but if Nekima charges it, these two abilities wont help it survive much because it only has eight wounds. Two hits from Nekima and it goes down. Somebody like Joss would survive longer.

But you could pick situations where the blessed will survive in places that Joss dies, (models with high moderate/severe damage, ignore armour and positives to damage flips for example, or just a war of attrition).

Any model dies easily when you are ignoring its defences.

• Like 1

I agree with you. I could totally see Joss dying after two turns even if the opponent doesnt ignore armor because he cant leave melee, while Blessed would survive the first turn thanks to the well rehearsed upgrade and then leap away to eat your fill on a small scheme runner.

Imho the best option to counter pick quick murder for marcus, but for arcanist in general, is the mech rider. She is hard to kill expecially later on, even if she is engaged she can just use her 0 action to flee. she can die only if you bring her on the center of the board at turn 1/2. it's not easy to kill her, and she can be usefull to summon gamin/spider with her fast mobility you can use her on the corner or where there are not too much dangerous enemy. 

just safe turn 1, safe a little bit on turn 2 and then it's possibile that your opponent doesn't have a good solution for killing her!

• Like 2

I have to agree with Luca here. There seem to be some solid choices for quick murder in arcanists but mech rider seems to be the one that can still fulfill a purpose by scheme running on the flanks/dropping scheme runners and not just running away. It's easy enough to make him a beast with Marcus or another useful hire like a raptor or canine remains for more utility.  I had been debating better choices for a few weeks until I broke down and ordered a proper model to replace my proxy.

The problem also comes down to Blessed is 9, so are cerberi. Right now the only good Quick Murder preventative you have is Mech Rider. Who is fun with Marcus btw. Using alpha for extra models and scheme markers is always a good thing and not at all how people expect marcus to play

• Like 1

There are 2 risks of picking the rider as a counter quick murder choice.

Firstly, whilst its not so common now, there was a time people always expected the Mech rider in an Arcanist list, and its not a hard model to build to kill (Condiiton damage, indirect damage and trigger ignoring can be put into almost every list). It lasts about 1Ap more than a blessed if you are hunting it with Nekima for example. And then  you have a lot of the game riding on the Rider living and being useful.

Secondly, your opponent has a pretty good idea at scheme selection if they are going to be able to kill the mech rider. And So they have a good idea if they pick the scheme or not. Something like a blessed is a lot more versatile in its use, potentially making it harder to try and guess if you are capable of doing the scheme. And the more choices you make your opponent make, the more likely they make a bad one.

That said, mech rider is a solid model and if you are going to pick it anyway, don't let the fact its the quick murder target stop you

• Like 1

No ofc it's not impossible to kill, like you said. But is not that easy. Ofc if enemy's crew is prepared for killing the rider it's another thing.  I don't think that blessed is a more versatile choise he can just run away and place scheme or hit enemy.  The rider can do the same and much more! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really sad reading your list.. i only bring beasts with Marcus with great results. No need for mech rider/joss/cassandra/etc.. fell the power of the nature bro!!! ;)

About Marcus upgrade I always pick Trail of Gods for mobility/damage output, Seize the day (i'll never change it.. probably the most op arcanist upgrade) and Feral Instincts for the 2 (0) actions and turn enemy/arcane emissary into beast

• Like 1