M2E Marcus

dgraz

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

Their merits were discussed on this very page of the tactica, I spot at least one person who likes them.

You are very right. I missed that. To be honest I find this thread too long for its own good at this point. It seems like 90% of the information is outdated. Which is why I was hoping for the most current opinions. But yes, as I said, you are right. :)

24 minutes ago, cryion said:

You are very right. I missed that. To be honest I find this thread too long for its own good at this point. It seems like 90% of the information is outdated. Which is why I was hoping for the most current opinions. But yes, as I said, you are right. :)

Yeah, these stickies have grown into monsters. The short answer is that they seem potent but too few people have tried for us to know for sure. They combo very nicely with pack leader.

I was one wp check away from getting a box yesterday but I'm trying to not grow my backlog faster than I paint so I at least work myself in the right direction. They are calling to me though... ;)

There's a lot on the rougarou that looks great with Marcus. I tried to make them work but I always felt they never quite lived up to their value. I've never came across the ideal situation that you have multiple enemies fail wp checks with a zero action and get a number of free hits on them.

I was playing against a savvy opponent though who probably actively avoided setting me up for free smell fear hits.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the minimum beast buy list/ current hotness for Marcus right now? He is last master for me in Arcanists and looking to get him up and running with minimal investment just to have him. Have essentially all Arcanist wave 4 non-beast models, steam fitter, Marcus box and raptors in collection already. 

Thank you 

53 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

What is the minimum beast buy list for Marcus right now? He is last master for me in Arcanists and looking to get him up and running with minimal investment just to have him. Have essentially all Arcanist wave 4 non-beast models, steam fitter, Marcus box and raptors in collection already. 

Thank you 

(Disclaimer: not an expert)

Just get his boxed set and run those + whatever models you like from the rest of the faction? He has a couple of beast synergies but seems pretty self-reliant. I don't think you need every last scheme runner in the list to be a beast for example. Between Myranda, Cojo and a cerberus/rattler you have half your list filled already.

Hmm, thought you meant every non-beast up to and including wave 4. Are there anysort of cheap scheme runners in wave 4?

• Like 2

Rogue necro for sure, a single Night Terror, maybe a Waldgeist if you need to hold a point.  Otherwise just turn things into beasts with the Malifaux Raptor and heal the point of damage with Myranda.  I use a Blessed now and again from Myranda too.  Guild Hounds are probably the best if you want to do that sort of list.  I have two just in case I need some quick scheme runners.  If you find a way to make the Scorpious work, please post about it! lol. 

Definitely the Rogue Necro and Night Terror though.  Night Terror can absorb around 6-10 damage from Marcus' Df trigger and even more if you heal it with Myranda. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 7thSquirrel said:

What is the minimum beast buy list/ current hotness for Marcus right now? He is last master for me in Arcanists and looking to get him up and running with minimal investment just to have him. Have essentially all Arcanist wave 4 non-beast models, steam fitter, Marcus box and raptors in collection already. 

Thank you 

I am a fan of Silurids for mobility and stake a claim games. But I also don't normally play with the beast keyword except in hiirng, so don't do alpha tricks that otehrs might do. I have no idea what the current hotness is, but I'm probably not following it. 

I assume you have a  blessed of december (probably my most popular arcanist beast). Its not essential but it is versatile. I've not yet tried Grootslang, they look fun, but not essential. Waldgiest are important if you want to play pure beast because they are durable, but there are plenty of Aracanist no beats models that can be as durable. (And they suffer in Marcus that he normally doesn't use armor, but arcanists do, so lots of people counter pick anti armor). 

I'm thinking about ways to make poison marcus work, so basalisk and Shikome and canine remains, but I'm not yet convinced it will always be good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I used the Night Terror yesterday for the first time and was very impressed - it's super-quick so can get near to Marcus very quickly, can take a beating, and the "reduce range of CA actions" is a decent threat to many enemies which impacts their play even if it doesn't actually go off.

It's also a very amusing jumping off point to use for Howard carrying Blade & Claw, as you can put it almost wherever you like on the table, and then drop your Howard in 30mm beyond it for what is an effectively 11", zero-action increase to his threat range. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, dannydb said:

has anyone experience with a more controlling marcus build- the gods path etc.... what would you suggest going with him

I've run him pretty controlly in my laat games but still had Trail for thr extra walk and ml attack. Set up the negatives to enemy beasts while in LoS, use the 0 at range and bop an opponent or two in ml to beast them as well. Marcus can now shift attacks away and is debuffing a bunch of enemy models. Send in whatever beater you like hitting thrm at negatives. Had pretty fun but got outdamaged and killed eventually. Marcus did well but I was trying somr other beasts that didn't really perform.

@dannydb

One of the main reasons that I love Marcus so much is that he can be Controller, Damage Dealer and Scheme Runner all in the same game.  My basic upgrade set-up with him is Trail, Feral Instincts and Hunger Cry.  These upgrades, along with the standard actions on his cards, allow him to potentially control the ebb and flow of the game each turn.  The hardest part about Marcus is knowing when to do what since he has the ability to do everything.

The Law of Meat is a HUGE way to shut down Ml models (that includes Masters) but requires a high Mask or stone to make it work.  The only downside is that it is till the end of turn so you have to activate Marcus early but if you get it off, it essentially shuts down anything scary. Darzee's Chaunt is best cast on an enemy model (after you make it a Beast with Feral) after it has activated so it cannot benefit from the positives to attack and damage but if you have a ranged friendly model that can is far from the enemy, it can benefit from the buff as well.  Imagine bringing Lazarus and giving him positives to attack and damage and then having him Rapid Fire! It's pretty great. 

Be careful when it comes to using Alpha as it requires a bit of setup and it requires high cards and a lot of AP.  Although, if you do have the cards and you have a chance to Alpha a Master, then please do it! I have Alpha'd Seamus before and made him use his gun (which is once per turn) on his own crew!  I've also Alpha'd Asami (who had the Flicker upgrade to make her summoning easier) to summon a Tengu with all her remaining Flicker and Asami just  "Flickered" off the table. 

If you're curious about what models I typically bring with Marcus, I  like to bring a Night Terror as a model to shove off damage onto with Marcus' Df trigger.  It usually absorbs around 6-10 damage (more with heals).  Bringing the Effigy is a no-brainer as it effectively makes Marcus minimum damage 5 (or discard a card).  I usually bring either Carlos with PP and/or a Rogue Necromancy.  All depends if I need tanky/scheming or killing.  Bringing a Steamfitter allows for Marcus to get some Armor and lets you pick up cards from your discard pile. Remember, you can turn anything into a Beast for the whole game with a Malifaux Raptor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Mah’s Wooden Spoon said:

@KingCrow i just picked up the marcus box yesterday so i am new to him. How do some of the interactions you describe above work? The raptor one in particular?

The raptor ( and canine remains) have triggers on their attacks to add the beast characteristics for the rest of the game. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I've not seen it mentioned. I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with Ferdinand Vogel/Beast Within. 

To me it looks like Vogel similar to Myranda could start the first couple of turns as a more support piece whilst you move up the board, before shapeshifting and charging in when you're in range. 

38 minutes ago, Adran said:

Vogel has the advantage that you can choose each turn if you want the killing or the support, but there is a decent amount of beasts support across the 2 forms

Ok great, I'm likely going to pick him up asap and see how I get on with him. The Card draw on him is something that is really appealing, as it's something I struggle with, with Marcus, especially as I don't take Arcane Reservoir with him.

On 9/24/2018 at 7:41 PM, cbtb11235813 said:

100% agree. I've used that little trick to keep my 6 stone monkey on the board, far far longer than he has any right to be

where as everyone i've played makes cojo their first target- he tends to die a few turns in, but he tends to tank a lot for me. have even in the past thrown a steamfitter in to give him armour!

21 hours ago, dannydb said:

where as everyone i've played makes cojo their first target- he tends to die a few turns in, but he tends to tank a lot for me. have even in the past thrown a steamfitter in to give him armour!

The people I play know to target Cojo first, but that doesn't usually matter. I want them to go after him. because he's so difficult to get rid of when set up correctly. It takes something like Nekima to kill him in a single activation, and if you set up right, the Medical Automaton should be nearby to pull him to safety, then heal him back up. But, if your opponent actually sinks tons of AP (double digits is very possible) into that 7 stone investment, it was more than worth it. 

Cojo is an excellent tarpit for his cost, I'd consider it a win for me if the opponent prioritised him. I pulled off a win yesterday with three models left on the table against an almost intact Hamelin crew because Cojo and Joss tanked like mad.