4 Player Game?

leppardf

Hey,

New to the game and the forums, so Hi!

Now down to business... I was at the local Game store to play my weekly "Warhammer Fantasy" game, noticed Puppet Wars on the shelf and impulse bought.

This is an awesome game with a lot of depth ad replayability...with one problem...we are a group of 4 friends who play most games together and the game, at best, accommodates 3.

After some extensive research it became obvious that a great way to expand the set into 4 players would be additional bosses, and sidekicks, since none of my group likes the idea of buying another set the same as the first. (plus I am the only miniature builder/painter in the group, and I am still working on my first set...lol)

My question (yes, finally, there is a question in here somewhere :)), is has anyone tried to modify the older masters such as Marcus to work in the newer edition? Is it even possible?

After a lot of reading and research it seems doable, I got hold of the PDF's from the older edition and it seems with a relatively small amount of tweaking it would be possible. My worry is balance, but I guess that would be trial and error. This would be a stop gap until (I hope) Wyrd released the 4 player expansion for the game.

Any thoughts?

Lep

Edited by leppardf

I think it would work, but balance would be the biggest question. Having played both versions, the things that would be fairly set in stone.

Marcus

Stats

• AR: 4 (The three they currently have all moved down 1)
    [*}Movement: 2 (This is the norm)
  • Defense: 7 - 8 (He was an 8 previously, and Lady J and Seamus stayed the same)
  • Attack: 2
  • Upgrades: 3
  • Stiches: 3

Abilities:

• Arcane Master: Ignore one :tomes (tomes) in the Animation requirement of all Puppets you control.
  • Everybody Share (Friendly puppet in play suffers 1 rip)Rg: in Play Effect: Target Puppet is Sewn Up one rip. This action does not require LOS
  • Roar (4 + discard a :tomes ) Rg: 3 Effect: All Puppets adjacent to Target Stuffed Animal suffer on Rip. LOS is not required.

In thinking about this, I am not totally sure Everybody Share would make it to a new Marcus. He had several puppets (Razor Spine Rattler being one of them) that had benefits when they had 1 or more rips. So, he could do some really great things by simply swapping them around. So, depending on how future pawns go that ability may disappear. I think Roar will stay though. Maybe he will have the Fire + Stuffing instead...

I know I personally used Roar and Everybody share as much as possible.

Being a :tomes master, he may get some sort of card trick also. He will probably also have some connection to Stuffed Animals and be able ignore the suit in the AR of all stuffed animals.

I think the best thing to do, as you said, is simply play around with it, but those are some of my of the top of my head thoughts of what one might see.

• 3 weeks later...

So..yeah, I bought the second set, and then a friend bought a third...now there is no stopping us! It makes it easier to be able to put together the crew of choice, rather than having to do it as a draft set up :) The game has hidden depths this way, and of course we are all (the 3 hard core players in our group) looking towards mailfaux now......anyone want to chime in with how the two games differ?