The "how to intro" thread

sssk

Hi folks,

We're all agreed that Puppet Wars is ace right?... good.

I thought it would be useful to produce a thread of the various ways in which people run demos, what's the set up, how many puppets, what kind of puppets etc etc.

I did my first demo yesterday, which was the first game of fully fledged unstitched I've actually played (so it was basically a demo for both of us).

I had:

Seamus

Bete

Belle

Nurse

Punk zombie

Punk zombie

December acolyte

My opponent had:

Lady J

Judge

Death Marshall

Austringer

Austringer

Executioner

Silurid

(these are just what I have assembled at present, I just allocated puppets to toyboxes).

We played map 1. The game took near enough an hour (as I'm still learning the unstitched rules, and trying to forget the old rules... and often getting the two confused), and basically ended up with Bete (with Judge's bandana attached) smashing through everything using combat 6.

Initial thoughts are that it worked ok as a demo. Next time I would probably go for a master and 3 pawns in the toybox, so that the game is faster (then if the newb is hankering for some more, we have more time to play a shoebox game where they could pick their own puppets etc).

So what has everyone else been doing for intros?

I think the key is to have the starting workbenches quite close together, separated by an Impassible Token. That way they start fighting in turn one, but because of that you are best dropping any puppets that could win under that condition (Hooded Rider perhaps). Planning ahead allows you to teach things as they come up, and it's your job (if you're playing) to ensure that you touch upon each rule in a step by step, in the moment, manner.

I start by describing the basic concept, then the cards, then the board (hex equals one space) and tokens (can't occupy ITs) and finally the models (I don't explain the specific stats until they're relevant). I'd then ensure I have my activation first, so I can show what it means to animate, move, and, if I can (say with a Death Marshal) attack. In general it's best to explain things as they happen (not bothering about LoS until performing something that requires it). While in a proper game you'd want to know all you're options before you do something, in a demo it's really just about following a loosely defined route that conveniently takes you through all the rules.

With a gamer I'd probably do a 9 puppet toybox, but with a non-gamer I'd do 5 a side. Have at least one double (Death Marshal, Rotten belle, Ronin) and one out of suit (I'd stay away from Cherub, and probably Acolyte too). I don't think there's any rules that need to be ignored.

Also, I think it might be better to play 3 player games, that way it's even more chaotic and fun. PW really was made for more than two players =]