Puppet Wars on VASSAL?

I had a look. There must be a way to use the Malifaux stuff to play puppet wars. The only change you need is a hexagonal map... which is where my attempts fell down. I don't know enough about Vassal to be able to program a map of hexagons, and there're no scenery pieces which are hexagonal (as far as I can see)

• 2 years later...

Thread necromancy for the win... But does anyone play? Do you know if there is a way to play without the cards? I'd love to play with my one friend overseas but he doesn't have the base game. This would normally not be a problem, but it appears to be on Vassal :-)

The Vassal module should have a built in deck (to provide you with the fifty-four card decks).

At the moment, there's a mostly functional version of the Puppet Wars Unstitched crew creator (with card info) stuck in one of the internet archives.  I'm not sure the powers-that-is at Wyrd would feel about repackaging and mirroring that info in a more convenient location.  Although what I've seen looks like it could get hosted by something like pullmyfinger without too much trouble (with some lost functionality, but enough to let people see the card info).

Edit:  A slight amendment.  The Puppet Wars vassal module appears to have been put together for Puppet Wars (the original) rather than Puppet Wars Unstitched.  It'll still work for Unstitched, but you'll have to track the number of Exhausted tokens on the puppets needs some manual attention (I don't think Exhausted stacked in the original game.  It does sort-of stack in Unstitched.)

Edited by solkan

I've had a look and played around with the set-up and controls, but never used it for an actual game. The module gives you a fate deck for each player but not the stat cards for the puppets or their upgrades. The only way to get these, as far as I'm aware, is from the physical box. Of course, you could always split the physical contents of the box between you.

I hadn't realised that the vassal module was built for the original (rather than unstitched) version of the game but agree that it looks like it could be made to work.

If there was sufficient interest to set up a Puppet Wars Unstitched League or similar then I would definitely be interested in taking part.

So far I've figured out enough of Vassal to make a PuppetWarsUnstitched v1.01 module, and modify the Exhausted property so that it goes up to 8, and add little blue numbers next to the blue exhausted icon for states 2 through 8. 

I think the next step is go through the puppets and double check that their starting stitches match the new PWU values.  I'm going to work on that today when I need to take a break putting together models.

Anyone have a suggestion on where I can host the vmod file? 

Edit:  So it looks like the number of stitches a puppet can have didn't change any.

I'm going to mess around a bit to see if there's a nice way to get vassal to count hexes of movement, since that's the other thing a player would have to keep track of at the moment.

Edited by solkan

5 hours ago, Brass Monkey said:

The module gives you a fate deck for each player but not the stat cards for the puppets or their upgrades. The only way to get these, as far as I'm aware, is from the physical box. Of course, you could always split the physical contents of the box between you.

Vassal typically doesn't post the Stats for models (or game rules for that matter), likely to avoid copyright infringements. You used to be able to reference the rules at the Puppetwars site so can still likely find them in an internet archive. You can sort of do the same thing with the Puppet Stat cards, just make sure to grab the correct ones for the edition you're planning on playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it turns out that the Vassal project does provide some hosting of files for Vassal modules.

So there's now a slightly updated (and slightly unofficial) version of the Puppet Wars vassal module updated so that it displays more than one exhaust level.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Puppet_Wars_Unstitched

The exhaust menu items at the moment are just a 'get the job done' implementation:

• Exhaust increases the level by one (increasing to 9 and then wrapping around to 0)
  • There's an option to correct the exhaust level, so you don't have to fiddle with increasing or decreasing
  • Clear exhaust sets the exhaust back to 0

The rest is unmodified from the Wyrd version.