Free M2E stats cards in pdf format are worth fighting for .. don’t You think so?

caen

I love the idea of IIed of my favorite wargame. For about a year I was waiting for the new revised rules - MalifauX really needs change.

And in this moment I am very glad with the changes that was revealed in podcasts.

But I am also surprised, surprised by fact that most of Us, most of MalifauX players, such easy accept the fact that we will have to buy a new stats cards for our collection of models (or even buy it twice - after the first and second wave of public playtests). I woluld prefer to spend my money on some new models from WYRD. I really want to spend cash on Your products - do not force me to spend money on sheets of papers, please - You are a proud miniature company.

I know .... most others miniatures companies make people to pay for new edition materials, but WYRD was supposed to by WEIRD. Am I right?

Another fact: I have heard in podcast that Faction Decks will be cheap - very good. But in this moment I collect and play: Guild, Neverborn, Ressers, Gremlins, Outcasts and Arcanists. Will together the six Faction Decks (which I need) be cheap? I have my doubts.

In my small playing community most people have at least 3 fraction, some have more - so it would be problem for many people.

What is important: free M2E Stats Cards in simple printable pdf format DO NOT exclude beautiful and elaborate Faction Decks - I would gladly buy one, with the time passing maybe more, for my favorite fractions.

Please WYRD (as a WEIRD company) rethink the issue of free M2E stats cards in printable pdf format.

One way or another: In WYRD we trust ...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While yes, V2 PDFs would be nice I am actually very opposed to that idea. Why? You're giving away everything that is currently in Malifaux for free.

Wyrd will make the right call here but I'd rather pay $8 or whatever and have the game stay profitable than get Free cards that will cost me about or above $8 to print myself anyway.

In the current world of instant find anything you want onlineness (my made up word) we all want things for free. Free is good but of course somewhere along the line somebody has paid the price.

I am happy to pay for the new cards, the same as I would for new models, new books, new paints and brushes etc. Obviously I have my fingers crossed they wont be too expensive, Wyrd will know this and try to help us all out.

Ultimately I would rather pay some money than watch a business lose itself through giving too much away.

Sorry, the only constant in the Universe is change. I have over 400 cards that will need to be replaced, but...I would rather have a quality card replaced at a reasonable price than a PDF. Plain and simple.

but the alternative is not Faction Decks or pdf. We can have both. Your choice should be to make a decision.

I'm all for it. Right now the 4 books form a large part of the entry cost and are largely a reason why it's hard to get new players here. And no, I can't just order new cards from Wyrd. Each new box (I don't plan to buy the new plastics in the near future) would mean additional shipping costs from the US, and they add faster than the cards themselves.

I Have no problem with buying the new stat cards. No problem at all. What makes me a tad irritated though is that they're going to give out the stat cards in two waves. Wouldn't it then be better to wait until the final release of all the models before releasing any faction decks? It feels somewhat... cheap (?) to make us buy two sets of stat cards.

Until the time of the final release, just supply the community with pdf documents. I now play all factions (counting the good Doctor as Guild of course), and will at one time or another buy all the decks, but there's no point in buying both waves of decks :/

Just my two cents....

I noticed that Wyrd seems to be talking about keeping the faction decks as cheap as possible, so it seems like they'll run them as a product with minimal margin. If that's so, then I don't see why they wouldn't consider PDFs. Yes, it is a difference of a little money in Wyrd's pockets, but if the faction decks are being offered at a reasonable price, there's little difference with regards to proxies, etc.., so it's not ensuring people buy Wyrd minis. All it's doing is making the game more expensive to upgrade.

PDFs are a fine stop-gap/temporary solution, but, because of that, I also don't particularly care if they come out or not. I prefer print media.

Still ****ed off that (please correct me if I'm wrong), there's no plans for an update deck for puppet wars, though: again, I really only consider digital files as a stop-gap/good for trying out a game, not for any long-term play.

I guess I'm in the opposite camp as the OP: I'd rather pay good money for a good product than pay no money for very little.

edit: actually, we're on the same page but approaching it from different angles:

but the alternative is not Faction Decks or pdf. We can have both. Your choice should be to make a decision.

I 100% agree with this (and, again, am miffed that they apparently decided not to do this with PW).

Edited by SpiralngCadavr

Bla, bla, bla....

When I hear all of You, Henchman, say all this stuff about preferring Wyrd not to publish free pdfs with Mk II cards, I'm wondering how stupid do You think we all are?

Guess what, we know it is all PR. Nothing more... :/

Now on the topic itself. I'd like to have an OPTION to either buy or print new versions of the old cards. Why? Because buying all the decks for all my fractions at once would be to much stress on my budget. It's enough, that I have to buy new book (and I have all the previous books).

I certainly hope Wyrd will release both - decks and printable pdfs with cards for Us, players and supporters to choose. Whoever wants to buy them will buy them. Who don't want to buy them will find the way to get them anyway.

To play we still need to/had to buy minis. And ones done by Wyrd are great enough not to seek replacements for them :)

Summarising: I fully second the author of this thread. Wyrd, don't be greedy like certain other, well known company from Europe! ;)

The other thing about a PDF, is the ability to change things on them. We all know there would be at least one person that would try that and ruin it for everyone. Besides, I though it kind of sounded like the cards in the first deck would not be in the second deck. So, two faction decks and done. Sounds cheaper and faster to me than waiting for new updated book 1,2,3, and 4 and then new cards.

Bla, bla, bla....

When I hear all of You, Henchman, say all this stuff about preferring Wyrd not to publish free pdfs with Mk II cards, I'm wondering how stupid do You think we all are?

Guess what, we know it is all PR. Nothing more... :/

um...you are aware that henchmen don't work for Wyrd, and are essentially players who get bonuses for demoing the game and running events, right?

I don't necessarily agree with them, but no call for accusing them of being just PR men.

The big reason I would like to see a pdf myself is that it makes it a lot easier to talk about models and rules online if I can just pull up a pdf and compare the rules with the conversation.

re: Guy in Suit

See, I don't know about you, but I don't like paying for the same thing twice.

To clarify:

Re-buy rules for new edition? Fine.

Buying faction books with virtually no new info not on cards (i.e. Warmachine's 2nd edition)? Marginal value, sold all my faction books off b/c I ultimately didn't see the point.

Re-buy faction rules for a new edition (not card-based, i.e. GW model)? Fine.

Buying something that was, in some form free (webcomics, rulebooks, etc. that either went to print or had a preview version online)? 100% behind this: a full disclosure demo will get me interested and if I like it enough, I'll vote with my wallet.

Buying two versions of the same item in different media? Nope. I think the only time I've ever done this was with Ocarina of Time, and that was because I didn't have access to my old N64 in college.

My personal issue with them selling faction decks is even with only 2 factions I will have to buy them all. Being 10t brings them all in as does being nb. I doubt guild hounds, night terrors, gunsmiths, grimlins and merc models are going to be in each deck for nb yet they are models i own for nb. Malifaux faction lines are clear as mud for models. 7 factions + at least 10 bucks a pop is going to be a lot of money for updating my cards. pdfs are a muat imho

Wyrd, don't be greedy...

You mean being greedy in the sense they want to get paid for their work? I would like to get everything for free too, but I don't think we can reasonably demand/expect Wyrd to just give away what they have spent a lot of work on. Now they might decide that it makes business sense to release something for free, but this is peoples jobs, you can not call them greedy for wanting to get paid to so it, especially if they are actually trying to make it affordable.

If this is not being a PR men, I don't know what is... ;)

Common business sense? Game gets no money = game stops to exist. Want game to exist? Give game money.

Ta-da! Many of us aren't even Henchmen, this is just something they should do. Plus PDFs will get out easily and be spammed across multiple channels.

Maybe release a subset of them as PDFs, like the current "v2" cards we have - but definitely not every card.

I wouldnt mind paying for new revised stat cards... but not if they're the current quality, id not even pay 5$ for a full faction of what they are now. However if theyre made on nice durable card stock (or better yet some kind of plasticoated card that you could dry erase) with a nice finish I would definately be willing to pay for them.

If this is not being a PR men, I don't know what is... ;)

I applied to be a Henchman because this is the only game I fully enjoy after 30+ years of gaming. I find it simple to play and thoroughly enjoyable win or lose.

When I run a gaming league or tournament I pay for the prizes out of my own pocket. Wyrd have given me nothing.

I am nobodies puppet or PR guy, rest assured I call a spade a spade, if I dont like something I will voice my opinion.

I can see it being something of a concern for marcus or Levi (or similar players)

Maybe a "levi deck" or a "marcus deck" could be introduced.... thast a lot of extra items to stock and pack extra so a lot more costs.....

but im not saying they should be free..... but master that draw across faction rather than one, might see a high cost....

Edited by OTP

A couple comments:

PR men I think was the wrong term, but, with most volunteers, you tend to get a view of a company through rose-colored glasses, which sometimes go to the point of rationalizing to find favor in the company: Henchmen are no exception or exemplar to this, and some of that's reflected here, in my opinion.

re: free rules: I may be wrong here, but I'd be really surprised if any miniatures company collapsed because they offered their print media in a digital format for free. Not saying they don't work hard on books and deserver compensation for their work, but I expect that the vast majority of their money is made on selling miniatures.

Based on erics reply to the faction decks and not making it hard or whatever it was to get is that for everyone or just us based folks. At the minute uk based folks wanting cards are being gouged. Will that same thing happen with faction decks or will wyrd be releasing them like they do with books and models and make them available through places like wayland etc so uk based players can actually afford them