Malifaux 2.0 Through the breach transcript highlights

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember for most people it's not August (Gencon) it is October and by then the phase two stuff will be in Open Beta.

You don't have to physically be at GenCon to get the stuff from there. You can order online during the event, or at least that is how Wyrd has done GenCon exclusives every other year. It's August for anyone who wants it.

On the other hand, ordering during Gencon packs a significant price premium.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to know that the stuff is available ahead of time, but let's also recognize that not everyone can justify paying that extra, even if the Miss ____ and/or other perks are totally awesome.

Point being, just because it's available doesn't mean everyone will necessarily have access to it prior to the official release/global distribution.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to know that the stuff is available ahead of time, but let's also recognize that not everyone can justify paying that extra, even if the Miss ____ and/or other perks are totally awesome.

Point being, just because it's available doesn't mean everyone will necessarily have access to it prior to the official release/global distribution.

Yeah...the rulebook in particular balloons the shipping price. Last year I ordered the crews I wanted during Gencon (enough to get Miss Terious), then waited to get the book in-store. I'll probably do the same this year, picking up a crew or two and the cards, then waiting a month extra for the book (with shipping time to Canada, that tends to be the difference).

I don't understand what premium you mean. Do you mean shipping?

If you mean you don't want to spend 100 dollars to get the extra free model ro whatever, that is reasonable, but it still doesn't stop you from buying the book that day, whether or not you are at Gencon.

I don't understand what premium you mean. Do you mean shipping?

If you mean you don't want to spend 100 dollars to get the extra free model ro whatever, that is reasonable, but it still doesn't stop you from buying the book that day, whether or not you are at Gencon.

what he means is paying msrp. While im sure theres many that happily paying the suggested price theres just as large a % that buy all their purchases from either local or online retailers that give significant discounts

Well ok. The book will be available to everyone in August. If you want it then you can get it then. If you want to save 10 dollars you can save 10 dollars and wait until October. That doesn't mean the book isn't out in August.

We could go peruse the last Gencon thread for specifics, but you're essentially dinged twice when it comes to the books; first is the MSRP sale of the book itself (I don't know about you, but online and locally I generally find things beneath that sticker price) and it necessitates a larger flat rate box for shipping, which increased the S&H charges from like $14 to $28 or something like that. If you bought just the book you'd be paying like 50%-75% over what you'd pay in many stores (to hear others tell of their experiences, at least).

Just because some people with the funding are able to get things at or during Gencon doesn't mean it's easily or widely available either. It's essentially a pre-release for those willing to pay a premium.

Fake edit: just checked; an order with figures during Gencon cost $17 S&H to Canada. Add Book 4? $28.

Also, I'm not blaming Wyrd or anyone for the cost of shipping things internationally. That's rather beyond their control. I'm just pointing out a reality that will cause some individuals and groups to possibly have to adopt later than others; you can get things early, but it ain't cheap.

These changes all sound pretty reasonable on first look, excited to try them out!

Pre measuring is the greatest thing ever, as now my regular opponent will suffer less from analysis paralysis wondering if something is in range and our games will take less time to play, meaning more games!!!

I also like the staggered approach of releasing profiles, better to work through them and get them close to right than release everything and half half as rush jobs. If you think of it not as getting the book 2 characters late after the release and more as getting the rules and book 1 characters early before full release (which is what would have happened had they neede to wait and release everything at once all completed) then it's a good deal :)

Strategies are now all shared and there's less to pick from (but better balanced).

this...is exactly the oposite direction from which they should go. the relative scarcity of strategies and the tendency of them to be shared is already a problem, so lets make it worse!

I agree. I like the current method of having gaining grounds 2013 strategies, but for more casual games I love having those 13 strategies to flip for, gives more variance to the game.

I agree. I like the current method of having gaining grounds 2013 strategies, but for more casual games I love having those 13 strategies to flip for, gives more variance to the game.

And those things (along with more by the sound of it) will be in the narrative game section of the book exactly for use in more casual games. It's just that instead of having everything on one chart there are two encounter sections so you can choose what kind of game you want.

Ordering from Gencon, I need to pay MSRP prices, overseas shipping and since it's coming from outside the EU, VAT. That means that when ordering $100 worth of stuff, I'll end up paying something like $170 while from a shop in the UK I could get the same stuff for $80 or so. So yeah, paying double the price for getting it three months sooner is a luxury I can't indulge in, really.

Avatars all manifest in the same way now, and can turn back later in the game as they take damage.

Which may have been what they wanted to do all along, see alt Seamus in his tattered rags as an example. He hulked out for awhile, and now his clothes are hanging by a thread.

I wonder if they can then re-manifest again without having to work up nearly as much steam as the first time.

Which may have been what they wanted to do all along, see alt Seamus in his tattered rags as an example. He hulked out for awhile, and now his clothes are hanging by a thread.

I wonder if they can then re-manifest again without having to work up nearly as much steam as the first time.

To be fair, alt seamus was always more of an Ash from Evil Dead reference, with requisite clothes issues.

This is a really good idea - use original Seamus for pre-manifest, and then switch to aSeamus, and then use alt Seamus when he deflates.

Does anyone have a good summary for how the card stack works with the new Avatar summoning?

With the caveat that it's subject to change:

Every time the master activates, you flip a card. You may cheat this card. It is removed from the deck completely and put into a Manifest Stack. When that stack reaches a total equal to a certain target number (varies by master), the master Manifests. Then, every turn, one CARD is removed from that stack and put back into the deck. When the stack is empty, the master reverts to normal form.

So you can cheat lower cards to get them out of your deck and delay manifesting, but have it last longer once you're up. Or, you can throw high cards at it, and manifest quickly, but burn out faster as well. They've mentioned they think being able to remove the black Joker from your deck may be too powerful and may have to have some specific rule for it, but were unsure what that rule would be at this point.

Justin talked at a bit of length about Avatars and that they will be hired, and no longer for 2ss each. He said that he felt part of the reason avatars have not worked so far is that they are all 2ss, and thier prices needed to be stratified.

I think that was in the Through the Breach interview. I have only made it through a few, so it was either Through the Breach, Malifools, Voices of Mars or Aethervox.

Remember they said avatar costs would now be different and not a straight 2SS, so it's safe to assume you have to pay for the avatar. Good question though is if it counts for the 3 upgrades allowed to a master. The system sounds interesting, would have to see it in play though and the difficulties, seems relatively easy to manifest turn 4 and be avatared for the rest of the match in which hoe much of an upgrade they are and how hard they are to take down becomes the crux of balancing them.