Malifaux 2.0 Through the breach transcript highlights

Hi all - updates added and fonts etc. tidied up thanks!

I just listened to the main part of the podcast and gathered these notes for my local area then thought others might benefit. They are scattered around other threads but hope this is useful in one place. Will update with corrections/additions if people let me know!

How will it release?

May 31st will see the public beta rule release - you can play for free!

Phase 1 will be out for August at Gencon (October for the rest of us) - will cover V1.5 book 1 models plus 3 Ten Thunders crews and 3 Gremlins.

Phase 2 will be out after the end of the year (Dec 2013) and cover all the rest of the models.

Feb 2014, Malifaux 2.0 is Tournament standard (until then its 1.5).

Phase 1 will see new book plus faction decks released with cards for models covered. Additionally new (plastic) boxsets will be available (see Rasputina below)

Phase 2 will see supplementary faction decks released.

Faction decks should be relatively inexpensive.

Two models no longer have their old minion rules (although the figures remain legal for masters) - Misaki and Hamelin. Everything else will remain in the game with largely the same feel as they do now.

New faction: Gremlins

All factions will have 7 masters. At least one of them will be dual faction - most will have a 10 Thunders and ANOTHER dual faction. All existing henchmen have all been promoted to masters.

Pre-measuring is in.

Soul stone costs have generally gone up a little. In combination with better balancing and upgrades the average game will now be 35-50 stones but still have the same sort of model count of a 20-35 stone game.

Models can buy upgrades now. Some upgrades are abilities they had in V1.5, some are new. The closest thing to this currently is the Lucas treasure rule in book 4.

There are new classes of model, this has a number of rules around them :(number of upgrade slots shown in brackets):

Masters (3) - all get 3 action points

Henchmen (2) - models like The Judge and Sybelle are now henchmen

Enforcers (2) - models like the Executioner and the Ice Golem

Minion (1) - most models in the game

Peons (0) - Insignificant

Spells still have a target number, but otherwise are opposed duels like melee and ranged attacks now.

The CA value is now built into spells rather than being a specific stat - much like the different weapon CBs some models have. Adds more variety to abilities and combined with soul stone change helps make the game more balanced.

Red Joker on damage now does Severe + weak damage. Red Joker prevents opponent from cheating when used!

Soulstones work quite differently, key changes are they they give +ve filps or suits rather than adding a card to duel totals. They cannot be used for healing anymore! Word is still outstanding on how Molly and Von Schill have taken the news. You can also now use a stone in the draw phase to draw and discard an extra 2 cards.

Avatars all manifest in the same way now, and can turn back later in the game as they take damage. Possibly they may only be used in 40SS games - not confirmed.

Strategies are now all shared and there's less to pick from (but better balanced). Additional strategies will be in the book, but these will be story or expanded encounters so not core for competitive play.

Schemes are now worth more VPS however, up to 4. Unannounced are worth 3 so more viable. There are 17 schemes however a pool of 5 is generated before an encounter for players to picks from - no more taking sabotage every game!

Scheme markers are now generic counters generated in game using action points - wherever you like. You can't tell what they are for unless your opponent has revealed their scheme so you can drop them slightly randomly to confuse your opponent as to what your real schemes are.

Edited by Neil of Orange

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Existing henchmen have all been promoted to masters.

Translation- No more Von Hogan everywhere, brrruther. No more of him effectively leading crews of other factions now- Von Schill is no longer the leader of the New Malifaux Order with chapters in all of the factions.

If he is a Master, he's gotta be a Real Prussian and fight for the rights of every man (well, at least every man or woman with the scrip to afford his fee).

New faction: Gremlins

All factions will have 7 masters. At least one of them will be dual faction - most will have a 10 Thunders and ANOTHER dual faction. Existing henchmen have all been promoted to masters.

All factions will now have Dual Faction Gremlins because they won!

Translation- No more Von Hogan everywhere, brrruther. No more of him effectively leading crews of other factions now- Von Schill is no longer the leader of the New Malifaux Order with chapters in all of the factions.

If he is a Master, he's gotta be a Real Prussian and fight for the rights of every man (well, at least every man or woman with the scrip to afford his fee).

Got to say this really made me lol. He can still run the nwo in brawls though (I'm assuming).

Edited by Odin1981

Logical fallacy! What if he's a HEPTA-FACTION master?! Could it be? Only time will tell! Von Hogan for supreme ruler!

I am pretty glad that pre-measuring is in.

Opposite for me, I really abhor that pre-measuring will be in the game. This is a game where it is high risk for high reward, when you miss that charge, or cast that spell and lost that AP because you guessed range wrong, it can swing a game. Losing that loses a large part of the game imo.

The CA value is now built into spells rather than being a specific stat. Adds more variety to abilities and combined with soul stone change helps make the game more balanced.

Just to clarify, this means that attack spells (Attack spells?) will have a Cb, essentially?

No Zoriada + Collodi?

Hooray!

The way I understand it while it will only be the book one masters in the initial release, playtest will begin on the rest of the stuff.

Assuming this will be another open test you should get access to at least rough versions of all the masters pretty soon after the rules are official.

Least that is my guess....

Got to say this really made me lol. He can still run the nwo in brawls though (I'm assuming).

No Zoriada + Collodi?

Apparently not, no.

Have we heard if Brawls are still around? If so, then Zoraida and Collodi could still team up. So could Hulk Hogan or the Wonder Twins and nearly anyone else. Brawls would probably become a lot more common now.

Strategies are now all shared and there's less to pick from (but better balanced).

this...is exactly the oposite direction from which they should go. the relative scarcity of strategies and the tendency of them to be shared is already a problem, so lets make it worse!

The CA value is now built into spells rather than being a specific stat. Adds more variety to abilities and combined with soul stone change helps make the game more balanced.

so, what? the spellcasting models are less equipped compared to melee models? the vagueness here is worrying.

it probably doesn't bode well when you read a list and say "that's stupid" 3 or 4 times...