Holy poop, malifaux 2.0!

DeleteAccount

I haven't listened to the podcasts, so apologies if this has been dealt with more specifically, but it could easily be done by changing the math on VP.

Example: make it so that a game goes to a max of 8 points, standard strats are worth 4 (as we have currently), announced schemes are worth 3, unannounced are worth 2.

Now you can announce one and not the other and still potentially hit max points, but it still requires success at both schemes. Failing one leaves you short, but not by as much, and if the strats themselves are reworked a bit to allow for more gradation (able to get 0-4 points as opposed to the currently common 0, 2 or 4) you end up with the game (win, lose or tie) hanging in the balance even if you find yourself capped out at 6 or 7.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't listened to the podcasts, so apologies if this has been dealt with more specifically, but it could easily be done by changing the math on VP.

Example: make it so that a game goes to a max of 8 points, standard strats are worth 4 (as we have currently), announced schemes are worth 3, unannounced are worth 2.

Now you can announce one and not the other and still potentially hit max points, but it still requires success at both schemes. Failing one leaves you short, but not by as much, and if the strats themselves are reworked a bit to allow for more gradation (able to get 0-4 points as opposed to the currently common 0, 2 or 4) you end up with the game (win, lose or tie) hanging in the balance even if you find yourself capped out at 6 or 7.

Close. They said it was 4 for strategy, 3 per secret scheme, 4 for announced scheme. So max of 12 total or 10 if you don't announce either scheme.

You know you could try something like the Malifaux Encounter Generator (forget who made it, just have it bookmarked):

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67990595/MalifauxEncounterGenerator.html

It could greatly speed up pregame play as it does those flips for you. Printing out Strat/Scheme cards is a good idea too.

And you are not mistaken. I too heard that they will have a few well-balanced Shared strats to begin with. The more asymmetrical narrative style strats will come soon after. So hopefully with the reduced Core strats and the limited scheme pools you should be able to get pre-game done a little quicker.

I'm hopeful overall and if I can't get any games in I plan on focusing on painting.

Thanks for that link, that's a pretty handy little tool. I'll bookmark it on my phone so I'll have it with me :)

Close. They said it was 4 for strategy, 3 per secret scheme, 4 for announced scheme. So max of 12 total or 10 if you don't announce either scheme.

Ah, I was actually making those numbers up, I didn't realize they'd specifically stated the change.

What is the new point cap? 10, I assume?

Well, that depends on whether they want to 'penalize' (in a slight sense) those who take unannounced strats, or reward those who announce them. Are unannounced the standard (and drawing 2 from a pool of 5 means you can at least take a guess at what their goals are) or announced the standard, leaving us where we are now?

Not that anyone necessarily knows, just in terms of game design it's kind of a 'two sides of the same coin' approach that could lead it going either way.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

I suppose 12 makes more sense just to minimize the risk of regular ties, but unless there's significant variance in both schemes and strats (as opposed to the near binary state that many are in now), I'm not sure it'd change anything.

Example, assuming both schemes are announced, I find many games come down to a point total of 0 (no successes at all), 2 (1 scheme), 4 (full strat or both schemes), 6 (half strat and both schemes or full strat and 1 scheme) or 8 (full success).

If it were possible to have 0-4 points on all 3 of them, you can have scores that range from 0-12, allowing for a greater range of importance on objectives, even mid game.

If you want to go meta on the matter, that is.

But playing for a max of 6 or 7 points when your opponent is playing for a max of 8 is usually too big a blow to make up for with that surprise.

That's just... like... your opinion, man.

If my opponent and I split the strategy we both get 2 points. Then I accomplish two secret schemes because I was able to trick him into thinking I was trying to accomplish something else. He announces both but because I KNOW what I need to do to stop him, I manage to stop one of his schemes.

In 1.5, we just tied. I got 2+1+1. He got 2+2.

In 2.0 I win. I get 2+3+3. He gets 2+4.

That's just... like... your opinion, man.

If my opponent and I split the strategy we both get 2 points. Then I accomplish two secret schemes because I was able to trick him into thinking I was trying to accomplish something else. He announces both but because I KNOW what I need to do to stop him, I manage to stop one of his schemes.

In 1.5, we just tied. I got 2+1+1. He got 2+2.

In 2.0 I win. I get 2+3+3. He gets 2+4.

Oh I agree, I like very much that they are making unannounced schemes a better deal in 2.0. I always loved the idea of them but it seemed like a half-implemented thing in 1.5.

Just wanted to pipe in with something. If you haven't had the chance, I would recommend listening to the various podcasts with interviews on 2.0 if you can. People on the boards have been doing a fantastic job of covering new info (thanks to everyone who has!) but with the sheer amount of info that they talk about some things can be lost. Unless of course someone were to word for word transcribe a podcast which is crazy even for most here on the boards.

Just finished the Through the Breach podcast and learned a number of changes that weren't mentioned in some of the summaries. Obviously the big things like SS and Red Joker were covered but how the Voodoo Doll or Bayou Gremlins changed for instance. (I will say that the Gremlins as a whole seem to be making out like bandits with the version update, which I'm totally happy with.)

So if you're able, give them a listen cause there's lots of stuff out there.

Just wanted to pipe in with something. If you haven't had the chance, I would recommend listening to the various podcasts with interviews on 2.0 if you can. People on the boards have been doing a fantastic job of covering new info (thanks to everyone who has!) but with the sheer amount of info that they talk about some things can be lost. Unless of course someone were to word for word transcribe a podcast which is crazy even for most here on the boards.

Just finished the Through the Breach podcast and learned a number of changes that weren't mentioned in some of the summaries. Obviously the big things like SS and Red Joker were covered but how the Voodoo Doll or Bayou Gremlins changed for instance. (I will say that the Gremlins as a whole seem to be making out like bandits with the version update, which I'm totally happy with.)

So if you're able, give them a listen cause there's lots of stuff out there.

I can't listen at work, care to share any specifics on how the Bayou Gremlins are changing? :D

From memory, Whoops are changing. They now have a trigger on their range attack for each suit, with Whoops being one of them(On a :crows?) and a special rule saying they have to use a trigger if able. Another trigger (on :masks I think) is something like "I got it Pa" and requires you to push towards the model hit. So could be good, could be bad. Dumb Luck stays, can't remember the last trigger.

From memory, Whoops are changing. They now have a trigger on their range attack for each suit, with Whoops being one of them(On a :crows?) and a special rule saying they have to use a trigger if able. Another trigger (on :masks I think) is something like "I got it Pa" and requires you to push towards the model hit. So could be good, could be bad. Dumb Luck stays, can't remember the last trigger.

So you'd need to miss and miss with a :crows to trigger Whoops, with the possibility to cheat out of it? Yeah, that's a pretty big buff.

Personally, I'm not a fan of podcasts as a source of disseminating information. What it takes a group to talk about over the course of an hour I can likely read and digest in 10 minutes.

I get that a lot of people enjoy them, that's cool and I greatly appreciate those who are passing info out, but podcastery just ain't my thang, ya dig?

Don't know if there is a requirement of missing for Whoops to activate. I'd think it was just if you had a :masks but I don't have the cards so couldn't tell you for sure. My impression was that if you flipped a mask it was Whoops time, but a miss would just be a miss.

Don't know if there is a requirement of missing for Whoops to activate. I'd think it was just if you had a :masks but I don't have the cards so couldn't tell you for sure. My impression was that if you flipped a mask it was Whoops time, but a miss would just be a miss.

Gotcha. Still probably a buff as it's usually easier to cheat out of a suit than cheat out of a miss.

Personally, I'm not a fan of podcasts as a source of disseminating information. What it takes a group to talk about over the course of an hour I can likely read and digest in 10 minutes.

I get that a lot of people enjoy them, that's cool and I greatly appreciate those who are passing info out, but podcastery just ain't my thang, ya dig?

The idea behind using the podcasts seems to be that when the group talks for the course of an hour, questions pop up that an official announcement might not cover. Sure, having an official textual explanation of the way SS work or the changes to schemes, etc. might have been good. But I doubt we would have heard about Seamus' hat or the changes to Gremlins without the podcasts.

Oh, I'm sure the conversational approach has a number of benefits.

Speed of dissemination of information just ain't one of 'em.

But that's less to do with Malifaux and more to do with one of the manners in which social media is leading to people connecting with communities. At the end of the day, some people do transcribe what they hear down, but that is also fallible and can cause issues until someone else listens through and corrects the error. There are pros and cons to both sides.

Just sayin', I was one of those guys who genuinely enjoyed patch note day.

Ram - dumb luck

Crow - Whoops

Mask - push toward your target

Tome - extra blast markers