in with the old and the new

https://plus.google.com/110591212625344350349/posts/QKkXWT2eH9Q

So I've started putting the new puppets together. I love them but some of the new sculpts are frankly insane with the fiddly level imvolved in assembly. yes we are looking at you mr death marshal.

i figured i'd put up a few side by side shots of my progress to help motivate me along the paint trail.

I know what you mean =]

It's good that they have parts that slot together (some can hold together without glue, but all models will need gluing to stay together properly), and have proper instructions and labelling, but some bits seem unecessary. Like Rusty Alyce's seperate pieces of hair, Death Marshal's badge or Convict Gunslinger's hair (can be tricky to know which way it goes). It's not just a case of having more parts to glue, but having more gaps to fill in. So far there doesn't seem too many issues in that area, but I imagine most cases where it does pop up could easily have been avoided.

That said, the models are amazing. Compare Lady Justice, Bete Noire or Death Marshal to their originals and there's no contest imo (no more big ugly lips on the female puppets). Some of the old metals do hold up (Convict Gunslinger), but in most cases the plastics are a huge improvement. I can only imagine how models like Ice Golem, Mature Nephilim and Moleman are going to end up looking. Still, not sure if I'll use my metals to practice painting or use one of the less common puppets (the benefit of triples).

Keep posting, can't wait to see what you do with them =]

So did a bit of work tonight.

post-3147-13911929326746_thumb.jpg

Figured I'd finish two ronin I had in progress to get back in practice.

Then of course it was time to load up the paint stick for some priming. I know I've a lot to do when the stick was full and I still had models on the table.

post-3147-13911929326244_thumb.jpg

post-3147-13911929326481_thumb.jpg

Edited by themurphyfella

So as promised the gremlin bros

post-3147-13911929396811_thumb.jpg

So the plan for what to do next came from the standard crew outline in the rules. I figured it'd be nice to have the intro list(s) be fully painted.

The question now is do I practice the paint jobs on the metals or do alt, reversed paint schemes on the spares for master mirror matches

post-3147-13911929397515_thumb.jpg

So the painting continues.

Bete and misaki got painted tonight.

The Bete paint scheme I saw in a thread on the boards here but I can't got the life of me remember who painted it.

I ended up with 2 Bete's because I like the original sculpt a lot.

Misaki on the other hand is one of the figures that really benefited from the plastic conversion. I'll probably paint the metal one at some point but it didn't feel worth the effort tonight

post-3147-13911929420051_thumb.jpg

post-3147-1391192941884_thumb.jpg

post-3147-13911929419363_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one"I woz" actually picked the lot up in a hobby shop.

Got some work done on the weekend.

Metal lady J, got a traditional paint scheme. Some touch up still to do.

Metal Misaki, got her hair and everything except the sword finished. Still debating done freehand on the robes.

Then two death marshals nearly done. Some accent color to be added to then to be able to tell then apart

post-3147-13911929598591_thumb.jpg

I actually painted all of but two of the bases as buttons so that the puppets can be added to their buttons when they're painted. I only have eight finished, but when a whole set is complete I'll post them :)

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

So I got a new figure done.

So the metal Seamus gets a traditional green suit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13582[/ATTACH]

I found a solution to my problem on what to base them with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13583[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13581[/ATTACH]

He looks amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been considering how to base my Puppets. Might have to steal the button idea, they look fantastic.

Considering the size of the hexagons on the unstitched board, I might get some of the coloured 30mm malifaux bases so that I can blu-tac the puppets (on their button bases) into them, and then (for example) Lady J's puppets can all have red bases, even if she hires a belle or silurid. Then because they're just blu-tacked in, they could easily be swapped for different masters.

Really well done. A very inspiring thread

Edited by sssk

I like the deep-dish button you found for your Silurid.

I have a couple similar caps from some odd juice drink that are just like it, but on regular Malifaux scale, probably fitting best on a 40mm.. Still haven't found a model I'd want to put on it yet, but I've been considering an Arachnid Swarm, possibly the Alts that come with Ramos' Avatar.

I've been considering how to base my Puppets. Might have to steal the button idea, they look fantastic.

Considering the size of the hexagons on the unstitched board, I might get some of the coloured 30mm malifaux bases so that I can blu-tac the puppets (on their button bases) into them, and then (for example) Lady J's puppets can all have red bases, even if she hires a belle or silurid. Then because they're just blu-tacked in, they could easily be swapped for different masters.

Really well done. A very inspiring thread

Thanks.

Steal away, I'm pretty sure there are any number of button bases going to be used for puppets.

The reason I put the bases on the buttons is so I can suit them into the colored bases in the future if I need to keep miniatures separate.

The pw bases sit nicely into the Colored bases

• 3 weeks later...

I love the buttons idea. a beginner modeller could leave buttons as is, and a stronger painter can customize them like you did.

just tonight as assembling the plastics, I was wondering how to do the bases. As a tabletop wargamer since 97, I knew i could never leave them blank. currently considering gluing wooden coffee stir sticks onto the bases, and trimming them down, to make it look like the puppets are on a wooden plank floor.