Big Ned's hobby thread

Big Ned

Thanks very much for the comments guys :)

How did you do the leather coat on Abuela? It looks fantastic.

The coat was GW scorched brown and dark flesh (3:1) base. I progressively added black for the creases and highlighted by adding progressively more vermin brown to the mix.

your clothwork looks great. if the shovel bothers you, you could always paint the handle and lighter color wood, like pine. then do the shovel blade in silver. when dry you can stipple some brown followed by stippled orange near the top of the shovel where the rust could be. then drybrush or stipple a matte black covering a lot of the silver for the coal dust. then take a bit of silver and hit some edges to look like nicks or scratches where the dust might have worn off from the most recent scrape.

otherwise i say its a brilliant paintjob.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my first finished rail worker.

I've tried to be a bit artistic here, for the rail worker himself and his clothes I've stuck to a very natural colour palette.

I've done this deliberately to contrast with the industrial colours I've used for his augmetic limb. Another bit of storutelling I've tried to get across is his pickaxe is old rusty and notched, like he's had it for years whereas the augmetic is polished and new, as it's just been grafted on recently.

As always please tell be what you think.

20130827_223104_zpsb766a44e.jpg

20130827_223030_zpsb5bee35d.jpg

Next up is the Emberling.

I'm not 100% happy with this one but, I don't think I ever would be. A model of this nature I think is a real challenge to get right in plastic and I had to get creative around some of the undefined borders.

Nevermind it's done, if not to the standard I expect from myself.

20130901_194153_zps97b727dd.jpg

20130901_194204_zps1121e935.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Kang and the rail workers look great :) The muted greens work well with them.

Thank you. BTW I'm thinkkng of totally ripping off your african-american rail worker idea. That model really suits the darker skin tone.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Here's the Ice Gamin to go with him.

These were all painted with the same drybrush technique that I use for my bronze (i.e. softer brush and thinned paints). I took this approach to give the models a frosty texture on the highlights.

A fortunate consequence of this was that I produced rather nice looking models in about 4 hours from start to finish of all 4 of them. Win-win in my book.

20130925_221212_zpsc402fbb5.jpg