Big Ned's hobby thread

Big Ned

I've finished the black body. I've tried to achieve a wood stove/boiler effect.

The brass is still WIP.

I've got the advantage of only living 10-15 minutes away from Beamish Open Air Museum which has a lot of old steam engines on display and my son loves to go, so I've had plenty of time to study the ornamentation on them. I've tried to carry this feel through the model and I'm pleased so far.

20130509_221538_zpsfc291133.jpg

20130509_221555_zps6e7b7d22.jpg

20130509_221602_zps4525337d.jpg

I know what you mean about that mould line. It was an absolute pig to deal with and that's aboit as good as I could get it before giving up hope.

I kinda hoped at the time that it would end up looking like a join between the metal plates. Should have drilled some rivets in it.

Yo Big Ned well done on the realistic color scheme for the Gunsmith! I can definitely see we are aiming for similar styles.

Did you undercoat this lady black or white?

Lately i've found success with undercoating white (with spray for alot of texture) and then using really watered down paints, everything I paint seems to feel almost like a wash.

Thanks.

I tend to do a black undercoat for the majority of models. I find it helps with shading and use many thin layers to build up the colour.

I use white undercoats on more fleshy models (like my Tyranids) and do much the same as you

By the way, check out the chronicles. I recommend a search for 'big ned'...

Oh wow! Thank you

I forgot about Chronicles coming out on the 1st with the Beta release and all.

That's a great article, and I'm going to borrow your Rusty Alice scheme for the Malifaux model, your razorspine rattler looks great BTW ;)

It's funny, for years I've been getting advice on painting techniques on forums, and now I find it quite humbling to be able to givve advice to others.

I've always said that there's something to learn from everyone, and it's still true to this day! When there's a good idea (and that's now my favourite metal recipe), it's nothing to do with skills or time in the hobby. You have the skills though, clearly!

Well instead of patting myself on the back too much I should get down to some painting:-

More cloaky goodness

20130605_230828_zps3c31ea3d.jpg

20130605_230802_zpsccef2d87.jpg

The jumpsuit looks really rough at the moment. It needs tidying up and all the holsters and pouches (of which there are many) doing next.

Edit: darn it, I've just spotted that mould line on the underside of his hat I've missed *smacks forehead*