Wong

scottb

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm stuck on Wong. He's not bad, I just can't work out where he fits in. His main use seems to be chucking Magic Attacks onto Rami and then having ghosts die really hard to Dumb Luck triggers too.

He is a bit of an odd duck at the moment in the Gremlin Crew however I think he fits best in a Kin list rather than with Som'er.

If i think my opponent might be taking a spirit Izamu he's pretty much the only answer I can think of right now...

Gremlins have the Gunline to deal with Izamu (or any other super durable model). Ten Successful Ranged Strikes Kill him every time.

I think he does well against things that you can't target easily due to the extra zappy nature of his spell. Masters that rely on minions to shield them in basically plain sight could easily find themselves in trouble when the sparks start flying.

It is also probably worth noting that you can move a bacon cursed enemy model very far by intentionally failing Sooey!

It is also probably worth noting that you can move a bacon cursed enemy model very far by intentionally failing Sooey!

Not a big fan of that particular option as the resulting melee strikes would be controlled by your opponent (if it ends in melee range of your Skeeter) and it will also move any of your other pigs that are in range (failing results in a Must push).

Rather than using it to move the transformed model away it is better to move it forward and kill it in its diminished state (loss of durability enhacing abilities like Hard to Kill or Slow to Die as well as those really potent melee or ranged weapons).

It is a neat trigger but definately unlikely to go off on anything super valuable unless set up with A Gremlin's Luck to reduce the Control Hand first.

Wong is actually almost a pure "caster" Gremlin with a CA of 6 you can cast Lightning Jump 3 times a turn and damage at least 1 other model if not 2 with a tome. If you have the BJ in your hand then you know it will hit only enemy models. I just used him in a game today against Lady J and the Death Marshals. With Ophelia turn I out activate the Guild Ohh a girl Wong 6 inches, walk once and cast Lightning twice on the closest Death Marshal causing damage to the Austringer hiding in the back. I can see Wong becoming an almost auto include, along with Burt.

But imagine how much easier it would be if he was turned into a piggy.

All he has to do to completely prevent it is cheat a :tomes cards on the Df flip or flip higher than Wong on the Three Demon Bag strike.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Wong is actually almost a pure "caster" Gremlin with a CA of 6 you can cast Lightning Jump 3 times a turn and damage at least 1 other model if not 2 with a tome. If you have the BJ in your hand then you know it will hit only enemy models... I can see Wong becoming an almost auto include, along with Burt.

I definately liked having Burt, Gracie and Wong together. They make a fairly good team with Burt and Gracie forming the Tarpit while Wong provides the Offense. Due to the expense though it is better suited to Ophelia than Som'er.

Agreed the only way I see Wong showing up in So'mers list is if you're going against undead or spirits. Even then is he worth 3 bayous?

Or two Piglets? He might fit in at 35 SS though it will be tight with the Staples Som'er usually likes to take. I see him helping the "Bacon Bombing Assasination Run" with succeeding by softening up the target.

I think he's really just meant to be flexible. Against some crews his counter spell could be incredibly valuable (oh the times I've been tabled by Raspy and Sonnia). Against other crews he might cast Inspiring Presence almost every turn. Other than that, he's just suppose to offer some ranged AOE support and drop some nasty triggers in combat. Like Omenbringer said, I'd mostly take him with Ophelia, though I'd consider him for a Som'er crew when facing Ressers or Neverborn.

Oh another trick that I'm keeping in mind is the safety net you hope you never need to use when your opponent has deliver a message. You can try to bury your master instead of just executing him/her.

The one you'll see in Som'er lists will be Burt. Get a Piglet stuck into combat, teleport Burt up with Got Your Back and jackknife away. The main issue with Wong and by extension, any Gremlin unique is if he is worth the weight of numbers you are giving up for him. In the new Gaining Grounds, the answer is sometimes.

Edited by Dumb Luck

I picked up Wong as part of my initial purchases getting into the game (like... a week and a half ago). I figured that he was gremlins' answer to terrifying stuff that would otherwise just run rampant through our lists. Most of our stuff is wp 4, and cheating 8-9+ for morale checks is not where you want to be, I think.

Oh another trick that I'm keeping in mind is the safety net you hope you never need to use when your opponent has deliver a message. You can try to bury your master instead of just executing him/her.

This would be a good one for the Rules Marshals to weigh in on since I don't think this would exactly work. Transformed models still retain their Spells and Wound Stats.

I would also be willing to bet that it sees an errata that states it is non-master.

I figured that he was gremlins' answer to terrifying stuff that would otherwise just run rampant through our lists. Most of our stuff is wp 4, and cheating 8-9+ for morale checks is not where you want to be, I think.

Gremlins (and Piglets) actually have very easy ways of dealing with Terrifying. Piglets love Terrifying models since it guaranties that they'll Stampede (there are a few threads that explain how this works) and well the lowely Bayou Gremlin can ignore Terrifying for the expenditure of only one AP to use Deliverance.

Now things like Irresistable, Harmless and Pitiful cause much larger problems for Gremlins/ Piglets and this is where Wong could see a lot of use.

I can’t get my head around how to use the trigger Bounce Magic if some kind soul would like to give me a run down on that.

“Df/Wp (tomes) Bounce Magic: After this model loses the Resist Duel for a Spell targeting it, the caster and this model both suffer the spells effects. Use the difference in casting and resist totals if a difference is required. The bounced Spell has no effect on either model if the caster could not be affected by it.”

Edited by Bahoola