Clockwork Traps

Ryu

Izamu, being plastic, might as well be a hollow chocolate easter bunny compared to Blessed's solid pewter.

Ah, you are one of those guys that gets raging erections with metal and thinks something is worth more because it has more weight. Go you then, I have Izamu at hand and he humiliates most models of similar scale in sculpt quality at a lower price.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, you are one of those guys that gets raging erections with metal and thinks something is worth more because it has more weight. Go you then, I have Izamu at hand and he humiliates most models of similar scale in sculpt quality at a lower price.

No, I actually prefer the plastics, and I like the Izamu sculpt. But plastics are cheaper than pewter, and they shouldn't be facing a price creep. Maximize the cost saving measures with plastics. It's not like with pewter where you gotta pay someone to break them off the sprues and put all of the right pieces into the box or blister pack. They just mold it and throw it in a box, hopefully with some quality control to make sure all the pieces are still attached to the sprue.

No, I actually prefer the plastics, and I like the Izamu sculpt. But plastics are cheaper than pewter, and they shouldn't be facing a price creep. Maximize the cost saving measures with plastics. It's not like with pewter where you gotta pay someone to break them off the sprues and put all of the right pieces into the box or blister pack. They just mold it and throw it in a box, hopefully with some quality control to make sure all the pieces are still attached to the sprue.

Dude, I'm sorry but you make no sense. What plastic price creep? It was just demonstrated that Izamu...which is larger and better detailed than the Blessed....for a lower price point. That's keeping prices down.........compare these models to other company's plastics.......there's no question. What do you want? Izamu for $5.00?

IMHO Malifaux is probably the most cost effective mainstream miniature war-game right now. And I know that cost is a big hook when getting players into the game.

Price comparison is always a problem, as games don't compare to one another easily and amount of raw materials doesn't tell you much about quality or the amount of 'game' a purchase buys you.

So.... Got my clockwork traps yesterday. I haven't started on them yet, but apparently they are in 8 pieces per sprue? I take this as a challenge. I seriously cannot wait to work on these haha I just have to wait for either tonight or tomorrow because I'm off to home for my spring break from college. :)

~Lil Kalki

(And, to those who are worrying, my advice is not to worry. Wyrd took *our advice*, why shouldn't you take the advice of one of their guys? :) if you are confused with what I mean by our advice, I am talking about INSTRUCTIONS!!!!! :D WE GOT INSTRUCTIONS!!! I am so psyched!)

Good thing they gave instructions for Wong... I could never figure out where to put all 6 pieces by myself. ;) Joking aside, the instructions are a cool addition. The models are really cool and that is my biggest attraction to them. Can't wait for Toshiro!!!

While you bring up building the traps... do they have their own bases, similar to Chiaki? From the artwork it looks like part of the trap is coming up through the ground, and i didn't know if they came with any kind of insert.

I have a box of them on the way, and i'm not sure if i should make just 1 insert for the pathfinder, or add 4 more onto that to cover all the traps.

While you bring up building the traps... do they have their own bases, similar to Chiaki? From the artwork it looks like part of the trap is coming up through the ground, and i didn't know if they came with any kind of insert.

I have a box of them on the way, and i'm not sure if i should make just 1 insert for the pathfinder, or add 4 more onto that to cover all the traps.

that do have a "stand" os earth the tentacles on next to, but it is not a full base insert like the soulstone miner or chiaki.

Well there are many. Here's my favorite at 25-35ss:

Core:

McCabe Badge of Speed + Whatever you want

Drill Sergeant -3 ss

Guild Riflemen x3 -12ss

Kang (if 10T) but this can be substituted

The basic idea here is to drag the riflemen into range and reactivate one of them. You activate the riflemen in pairs, so they can get 6 shots off each pair (if in range). Each shot will have a +. If you get two reactivates off (I usually don't try for this) you can activate 2 then 3 for a total of 15 shots.

You compound this with Braying of the Hounds to give everything within their shooting range (I usually have McCabe out front) -2 df and -2 wp.

The rest of this list you choose for strategy/schemes or just for personal style. That core is pretty legit and will get you through most things. While the riflemen can be fragile, you can sacrifice one and still output tremendous damage. I usually stick McCabe and the melee beater right in front of the lanes to the riflemen. I've never had all 3 die before they got their points back (though I "count" my points oddly - as long as they make the enemy do things they don't want to do and cost them VPs I count that as a win; ie drawing Mei Feng super out of position and never getting a shot off but then she dies to the counter attack).

My other fun and sometimes evil list 25-35ss:

McCabe - Whatever you want (Usually armor shirt + something else)

Guild Pathfinder x2 -12ss

Torakage x3 -18ss (only take 2 in a 25 or 30ss game)

Deploy all the traps when the pathfinders deploy. You deploy the pathfinders super far up field but back far enough that it will take your opponent one activation to reach them with most models. Shadow Step all of the Torakage on turn 1 and run McCabe across the board like a madman. Move a trap or two into position for the Toras to step to.

Turn 2 your whole force is now in their deployment zone.

That second list is super fun, but it's not always effective.

Edited by Ryu