Card Sleeves

Gabbi

Pretty sure you've seen something like this:

foto01ql.jpg

It's afaik the only solution bar the rigid top loader. There are other sleeves thas seems to fit but it seems they're not perfect.

The following solution isn't perfect either, but it's dirt cheap and widely available. Use CD sleeves.

foto02d.jpg

You can use them as they are, ignoring the exeeding sleeve:

foto03ki.jpg

Or you can trim it to a more proper size:

foto04uf.jpg

It is a small amount of work that's well worth the hassle, imho.

The fact that the opening will remain on the long side seems ok, the sleeve seems to rest tight on the card, the only issue here is the crease in the middle, but I trust that keeping all the cards together and opened will flatten them properly.

foto05l.jpg

Still to check how they will stand the wear of use and time.

Thanks for advice, I already know them. But I've read they're a bit too much tight fitting, and in some case you have to trim the card, something I don't want to do.

Anyway, I'll get a pack next time I'll make an order from a shop that carries them, hoping in a more loose run :) Until then, CD sleeves are a neat solution, imho (and many people maybe already have them at hand. I got the 100 pack I'm using for Malifaux free purchasing a DVD-R cake).

Edited by Gabbi

This is what I use. However, any cards that are miss-cut have a chance of still not fitting. For those, I bow them slightly and insert full. Then I slowly roll my hand back and forth across the sleeve until the card is flush. It causes minimum damage to the card that way.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Thanks for this, what if any, are the advantages of sleves vs. laminating?

Only simplicity and cost. I would recommend laminating to anyone who can do it cost effectively. Also, laminating is permanent. What that means is when the card starts to get milky from overuse of markers, you just have to live with it or buy new cards and relaminate. Washing the laminated cards every once in a while will prolong this effect.

I rarely mark my cards, which are all laminated. I use dice for wounds since they can change so often in this game and since I prefer using wet erase markers, erasing wounds is annoying (in Warmachine I mark damage for everything except my Vessels of Judgment which also have rapidly fluctuating wounds).

When I first get cards, I use some post card top loaders from Ultra Pro until I get the chance to laminate the cards properly.

As far as laminating and cost effectiveness is concerned, it isn't all that expensive to get your own laminator for between $20 and $30 on Amazon and packs of 100 laminator pouches are like $9. If you split the cost of the laminator between a few friends who play the price becomes a non-issue.

**This is only relevant to people stateside as I've not looked at costs overseas.