Miniatures you have issues with and would like to see a new improved version.

Agermemnon

What's so bad about assembling LSAs?

(I came from Infinity mind you, where CA drones can have like 9 metal parts each (not total!) with tiny contact points, plus 4 tiny acetate wings.)

I'm all for an alt LSA for another reason, if I want to run two I'd have to have identical models. Though I can just hack the Steamborg and magnetize it for another LSA... I'll see when I get the actual mini.

Leveticus is ugly, yes, but give him a beret and he has that charm of a pre-war petty criminal. "What are you doing this late, my pretty? Would you like me to... oil your gears? lIvuxJG.gif "

I'd love to see half the Rasputina range resculpted. I hate the Gamins, the Golem (do the Rail Golem while you're at it), her avatar form (and the alt, which is weird since the original was the reason I got interested in Malifaux).

As for minis I'd REALLY like to see redone, though... Everything plastic. Why do I have to pay for this crap as much as for metal again?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's so bad about assembling LSAs?

(I came from Infinity mind you, where CA drones can have like 9 metal parts each (not total!) with tiny contact points, plus 4 tiny acetate wings.)

I'm all for an alt LSA for another reason, if I want to run two I'd have to have identical models. Though I can just hack the Steamborg and magnetize it for another LSA... I'll see when I get the actual mini.

I just posed each of mine differently. Seems to work fine.

As for minis I'd REALLY like to see redone, though... Everything plastic. Why do I have to pay for this crap as much as for metal again?

I think the thread you want for that complaint is this price discussion, or any of the other ones here on the forums.

It seems the plastics have stabilized the prices a bit, but yeah, we're paying more for certain models and less for others, based on comparisons to the metal models.

Just learn to glue them properly. I've not had any issues with any of the plastics that couldn't have been avoided by not being rough clipping them off the sprue...

It's not the fault of the plastics.

While I realise this might be opening a whole crate of cans of worms, what is it specifically about the plastics you don't like?

I'm genuinely curious, as I've enjoyed preparing them much more than I have the metals. And painting models I find cleaner and more interestingly posed and styled as a whole isn't something I'm going it complain about!

If the archers have numbered tabs on them then I would assume that all of the tabs marked with the same letter belong to the same miniature. This is how it appears to be with the Ashigaru.

Sadly, the archers had no numbers or letters. I had just finished the Masters of the Path and i really liked the numbering system. The Oiran don't have any numbers or letters, however they are all sectioned off on the sprue so you know which heads go to which lady. The archers were sectioned off by parts so you just have a bunch of heads and cloth headpieces on one side, then the hats are all on the other.

other than that, i haven't had any troubles with assembly. i have found that after you dry-fit a piece, sometimes you need to shave a little extra off so there is room for the glue. I just finished the Relic hunters set and now i'm feeling pretty confident with the plastic assembly. I even thought Vanessa was pretty simple to put together.

I don't know if it was planned out or if it's coincidence, but the order the crew boxes were released seems to be from easiest to assemble working its way up to more complicated. However, practice with the earlier crews has made the newer ones go together quicker and easier for me than they might have otherwise. That does exclude some separate items like the archers, which I think, were only difficult because of how small the parts were, requiring the use of tweezers, and their head-hat-scarves combo. I'll have to check my sprues for them again later, but I could swear that they were numbered.

While I realise this might be opening a whole crate of cans of worms, what is it specifically about the plastics you don't like?

I'm genuinely curious, as I've enjoyed preparing them much more than I have the metals. And painting models I find cleaner and more interestingly posed and styled as a whole isn't something I'm going it complain about!

The only real issue I have with the plastics is the number of pieces that each model has to come in apparently. I just got the Burt Jebsen model and he has 8 separate pieces to him. His head alone is 3 pieces, the lower jaw, upper jaw, and mullet. The mullet really needed to be its own piece? Almost every metal gremlin figure is a single piece or maybe with a limb to attach and now it suddenly becomes a Lego set.

To be clear, I totally like the quality of the plastics as far as the sculpts and precision, the move to plastics is awesome in my opinion. But it does seem excessive that each mini comes so disjointed. Not only does it make it more troublesome to assemble but it increases the likelihood of having unsightly gaps in the finished mini for people not as adept at filling them (aka some of the Hungering Darkness gripes). Maybe it's a limitation of the plastic vs metal creation process that requires more pieces but it just seems a bit insane.

I don't care for plastics either. part of it is change inertia(i liked things the way they were before. wahhhh!!!!)

Part of it is that I find the less exaggerated figures less interesting, and harder (and less fun)to paint. Part of it is the number of very small, easy to lose pieces. my fine control isn't great, and it's a pain to put them together. at least the glue doesn't bond to my fingers.

Most of it is that even adding washers to the bases doesn't add enough weight to the model to make it feel substantial. It's a taste thing.

Note, none of these are me saying "Wyrd should go back to metal." The plastic models are okay, high quality, and I appreciate why Wyrd did it. I'm sure at least some of my concerns will be overcome as time goes on and I see and work with more of the models. I've tried not to complain. But I do still like the metal better.

It just won't stop me from buying new models.

I don't care for plastics either. part of it is change inertia(i liked things the way they were before. wahhhh!!!!)

Part of it is that I find the less exaggerated figures less interesting, and harder (and less fun)to paint. Part of it is the number of very small, easy to lose pieces. my fine control isn't great, and it's a pain to put them together. at least the glue doesn't bond to my fingers.

Most of it is that even adding washers to the bases doesn't add enough weight to the model to make it feel substantial. It's a taste thing.

Note, none of these are me saying "Wyrd should go back to metal." The plastic models are okay, high quality, and I appreciate why Wyrd did it. I'm sure at least some of my concerns will be overcome as time goes on and I see and work with more of the models. I've tried not to complain. But I do still like the metal better.

It just won't stop me from buying new models.

you pretty much summed up what I don't like about plastics. I have 2 more reasons:

I like the freedom to repaint my mini and so far I haven't found any plastic stripping agent that 1) works to my satisfaction and 2) is readily available here in Poland. I have enough reservations about my painting skills without having to paint the mini absolutely perfectly the first time.

I also find metal models more forgiving in assembly. Yes, I do need to be more careful, and sometimes use epoxy glue/pin tiny parts. But if something goes wrong, I dunk the offending model in acetone and can start anew next day, without the risk of having some important part melted by plastic glue.

I plan to buy some new plastics as a test. If I feel they are a turn for the worse, I won't buy anymore and proxy them. Or learn to make my own.

Edited by Pierzasty

I generally prefer plastic to metal. I come from playing almost exclusively GW games, and aside from a couple of their models (namely the Thundertusk), I have never had an issue with model frailty like I have with Malifaux plastics. Hell, in some cases (like Izamu's flags) if you clip the wrong contact point first, it will apply a slight amount of torque to a thin piece and cause it to snap.

My fingernail caught Yan Lo's staff and it went flying off into infinity. I replaced it with a straightened paperclip. It looks just fine now. The only way I can comfortably store these models is to do magnetize the bases and put them in a metal box. Storing them in foam would likely mean multiple broken models.

It would be one thing if this were an issue with a few models, but it seems to be prevalent in a lot of the different boxes (TT Archers, Masters of the Path, Ten Thunders box, etc.). I am guessing it's just growing pains, and hopefully it will get better.

And for those saying "you don't know how to take it off the sprue" well, I've been playing miniature games since around 1995. I think I know how to remove plastic from the sprue. In this case, I've never had so many different models and pieces break as I have with these Malifaux sets.

My only gripe about the new plastics is the lack of definition on some of the models. The hands, and faces are the main culprits, the ashi's feet are also a problem. I know this is due to the models being sculpted to true scale but some things need to be exaggerated when working at this scale.

I dont really like plastics for several of the reasons that have already been listed in this thread however do realize that they are somewhat of an inevitability as a company gets larger (and production costs increase). I do admit though that some things really do make sense in plastic. Large models for example would be prohibitively expensive to cast in metal or transport and are difficult to keep larger pieces from warping during casting. The smaller the mini though the less I like plastics (especially when they come in multiple ridiculously small parts that could have easily been cast in one piece, Bert).

Yes I do post in there :) I think the matter for me is that I prefer metal to plastic in general.

Can I see your SPAs, for inspiration? :)

I still have to add accent colors and basing (once I finally decide which colors and bases I want to go with). So far they're just primered black and rustoleum gold (and have been that way for a couple of years now). I put the tape with the numbers on them for reference on the photos.

Using styrofoam or corrugated cardboard to poke the legs into, to position them how I wanted, only gluing one or two on at a time, certainly eased my frustrations when it came to assembling them. No more having to hold them for minutes on end, waiting for them to dry. I did assemble them one at a time so that I could see how one was positioned so that I could assemble the other one differently. I did end up accumulating more glue than I wanted to on them, but should I redo them later, the practice was well worth it. This also how I assembled my Steamborg and the Brass Arachnid, which ended up much better for it.

Oh, and after assembling them how I wanted, when I went to place them on their bases, I drilled small holes for the legs that would actually make contact with the bases, to glue them into.

And for those saying "you don't know how to take it off the sprue" well, I've been playing miniature games since around 1995. I think I know how to remove plastic from the sprue. In this case, I've never had so many different models and pieces break as I have with these Malifaux sets.

Same here. I was using a sharp knife, not clippers to get them off the sprue, and I had multiple pieces snap in the process. The problem is just that the pieces are too thin. Cast in metal these pieces would have a similar issue, they would just bend too much. Lucius's cane is an example of this.

My miniature experience, aside from Battletech and the occasional Reaper model, has been limited to Malifaux, and yet I'm hardly having any difficulties with the plastics at all. I use nippy snippers to remove pieces from the sprue, paying close attention to where the thinner parts are connected, then use a sharp xacto knife, dedicated to plastics only, to trim down any excess.

I've assembled each of the models from the plastics, and of them all, only one of the Archer's arrows and both of the Nathan Hanged ropes have broken, one of those having broken in transit.

So, as much as I much as I may not like that each of the models comes in quite so many pieces, I do enjoy the challenge of it, even if it means I don't get to prime and paint them right out of the box like I might be able to on the metals.

My miniature experience, aside from Battletech and the occasional Reaper model, has been limited to Malifaux, and yet I'm hardly having any difficulties with the plastics at all. I use nippy snippers to remove pieces from the sprue, paying close attention to where the thinner parts are connected, then use a sharp xacto knife, dedicated to plastics only, to trim down any excess.

I've assembled each of the models from the plastics, and of them all, only one of the Archer's arrows and both of the Nathan Hanged ropes have broken, one of those having broken in transit.

That's exactly the problem. If take all the necessary precautions, have some experience and proper tools, clipping plastic parts should result in a whole ZERO of them getting broken. 3 broken parts is 3 too much.

That's exactly the problem. If take all the necessary precautions, have some experience and proper tools, clipping plastic parts should result in a whole ZERO of them getting broken. 3 broken parts is 3 too much.

Law of averages. Three thin pieces broke for me. No big deal. Had they been made of pewter, the same thing probably would have happened.

Heck, original mercenary Misaki was just a ball of pewter, the way they had to pack her and that giant bisento into that tiny blister pack. It was bent in a circle. By the time I got it roughly straight, the blade broke off at the hilt. At least three of my Witchling Stalkers' swords have broken off. Sword Vikie's swords refuse to stay straight in my Battlefoam bag (which I think I'm just going to relegate to Gremlins, eventually).

Whether the ropes on the Hanging Tree models have broken for people or not, a lot of people are replacing them with wire or thread anyways, for aesthetic reasons.

• 1 month later...

Corphyees and Mannequins - Damn you tiny ball-and-cup joints!

Oirans - Damn you tiny tassels and seperate faces!

Ten Thunders Archers - Damn you... pretty much everything about your construction!

Misaki (Master) - Damn you on your tippy-toes!

Ototo - Damn you being 2" off your base and unbalanced!

Avatar Vics - Damn you being complicated!

Well to be sure many of the old figs could be revisited for some serious change like shikome and some master alts were epic fails like mcm alt and the Vics . But the new plastics hold the promise of new dymnatic poses like would love to see mcm actually swinging his scapel . And yes the new tiny bits due create challenges during assemble but the right tools and patience but now assembly sheets are being included though they were seriously needed for the archers and others. Cut only what is going to be glued right away it helps. At to the idea of the fig looking the same if different the new strong arm armor provided two possible positions it was a good option but multi minions should have more to choose from

Close to every model in the line is fantastic.

However. So SOO many of them really them need to be resculpted with assembly and durability in mind. When I first started I bought the seamus boxed set.. 3/5 models had major durability or assembly issues.

This especially I think is a concern with the increased popularity of the game. For people coming into a game nothing can be more of a turn off than models are are impossibly to assemble or start falling to pieces the first day you play with them