"Cannot receive Slow" and Burning Tokens

Alviaran

Question

I wouldn't be so sure about this one.

A burning token causes the player to have to either take a Wound or recieve Slow during the Resolve Effects Step (page 22 of the 1.5 edition book). Though the owning player is usually able to choose which effect applies because Mei Feng can not be affected by Slow due to Unstoppable Industry it wont be a valid choice for her. I would guess that she would have to take the Wound every time.

Edited by Omenbringer

I disagree completely with you Omen.

It says she cant be affected by slow.

Not that she can't gain it.

She can be given the effect of slow but it will do nothing.

EDIT: Hmmmmm

On second thoughts it does say immune so im flip flopping and saying she cant choose slow...

Edited by Ausplosions

Hmm... I was going from a memory of a previous discussion on Shikome gaining burning tokens, but looking back, seems like this was the consensus at the time, not an official answer. I can see your argument, but I'm not sure I'm convinced. If it was an effect that didn't have a choice, she simply wouldn't receive the Slow portion.

As you point out Ausplosions the exact wording of Mei Feng's ability is

Unstoppable Industry: This model is immune to Slow.

Page 22 of the new 1.5 edition book states that

A model immune to or able to ignore X cannot be affected or modified by X when resolving the effect.

Though the Burning token is not itself an effect, it does generate one upon resolution. Slow is an effect since

• It is generated during an Encounter.
  • It sits 'on' a model.
  • It has an end time that can be defined.

Mei Feng may only choose to take the Wound when resolving the Burning token since she is immune to the Slow effect (making it an invalid option).

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

If it was an effect that didn't have a choice, she simply wouldn't receive the Slow portion.

The "either" wording in the resolution of Burning tokens means that one result has to be applied for removal. The choice must still be a valid option for the model.

Edited by Omenbringer

The wording on Hamelin's The Void is very different than Mei Fengs Unstoppable Industry and expressly says that;

This model's Controller may ignore any enemy effects targetting this model which requires them to discard Control Cards

Hamelin's ability doesn't stop the effect from generating the Control Card Discard only it's resolution.

Dont get me wrong I can see the argument however it is a very different interaction. Mei Feng can not be affected or in this case modified by Slow at all however the resolution/ removal of Burning tokens requires either a Wound or Slow to be applied to the model. Since she can't choose to be affected by Slow (due to the cannot wording in the Immune description) her only option is the wound for removal.

Edited by Omenbringer

I think the shikome can take the slow and ignore it, since the card says 'this model is never affected by slow or paralyse'. So you can receive it, it just has no effect and falls straight off. I'm fairly sure someone official weighed in on that, although the only one I could find is that a fast shikome being hit with slow didnt lose fast as slow had no effect. Not that it couldn't be hit with it, but that it didn't do anything when it did hit.

My personal opinion is that immune means the same. You can catch a disease but not be affected and clear it out your system because you're immune. It doesn't actually stop you getting it, just means you don't notice it happening. But I'm hardly an authority on rules so I'll happily sit and watch this one work itself out.

Makes me wonder why she is the only master who must take a wound from them though. ..

If she wasn't meant to be affected by them then she would have had Ablaze instead or in addition to Unstoppable Industry.

It is a bit odd but it is also a bit corner case.

I think the shikome can take the slow and ignore it, since the card says 'this model is never affected by slow or paralyse'. So you can receive it, it just has no effect and falls straight off. I'm fairly sure someone official weighed in on that, although the only one I could find is that a fast shikome being hit with slow didnt lose fast as slow had no effect. Not that it couldn't be hit with it, but that it didn't do anything when it did hit.

Once again the wording is the important part of the ability. Shikome can recieve the Slow effect/ Action modifier they just aren't affected by it because of Relentless.

In this case effect is used as a noun (thing) where as Affect is a verb (action).

But I'm hardly an authority on rules so I'll happily sit and watch this one work itself out.

Definately in the same boat, a Rules Marshal will inevitably have to weigh in on the issue.

That's where it gets fun, because while we all seem to agree on the wording of the shikome's ability meaning it can choose slow but not actually suffer it, we don't on mei Feng's.

To me, immune (from a bioscience point of view) means you don't suffer any effects, but you still actually get exposed. So it works the same as the shikome. But it all comes down to how the word immune is defined...

Omen actually already quoted the definition the game uses. It clearly says the model cannot be effected by it. Not that it cannot receive or be targeted by it.

I would say Mei can surely choose to either put out the fire and forgo suffering the wound by becoming slow. Since she is immune to becoming slow, she is such a badass that she can put out the fire as if it was nothing.

I'm personally on the side of she can get the token but can't choose the Slow effect.

As she is immune to Slow that shouldn't be an option for her to pick. Just like being immune to Blasts means the shot which causes it doesn't get placed over the figure

Why wouldn't you be able to put a blast marker on a model that is immune to it? How does the model's immunity prevent the explosion that could potentially hit other models? Now I am greatly confused. O_o

If you are immune to something you can't be targeted by it so there for you can't place it

Omenbringer quoted this from the 1.5 book.

A model immune to or able to ignore X cannot be affected or modified by X when resolving the effect.

Not being able to be targeted would be silly. Immune just means you are not effected by whatever you are immune to. Immunity to blasts would not result in a blast marker not being able to be set. It means the blast marker is set and the model with immunity ignores the effects resulting from the blast.

OK Blast damage is the damage generated by a blast marker, as I've said. The blast marker only generate damage on any model other than the original target under the template. The original target just take the normal damage from the attack.

Or in other words the model take damage from the attack as normal. The attack also generates a blast marker. The blast marker causes 4 Dg to any model that is not the original model, this is the Blast Damage.

So the Blast Marker can not be placed over the person that is immune since they can't be targeted by it.

Also another example is Immune to Influence where Zoraida can't cast Obey on the Dead Rider because of the immunity.

So since Mei Fang can not be targeted by slow so she can not choose the slow option of the counter.

I hope that makes sence...

Edited by Lord Shaper

If you shoot Von Schill with a Crooked Man's Cave in Spell and hit, you deal the damage amount as shown on the respective severity of damage. Then you place a 50mm blast marker originating from the edge of Von Schill's base. Let us say one of his Freikorps models and a Desperate Mercenary would fall underneath the template(s).

The Freikorps soldier does not receive any damage from the blast effect, because his special armor ignores it. The Desperate Mercenary receives damage.