[Jan] Mei Feng vs Leviticus 50ss "Leviticus dies . . .?"

bfrench

I met up with one of the local guys to try to get a game in last night. We agreed on 50ss as I'd never played a game that big and wanted exposure to more models and shenanigans so I wouldn't be as blind sided at upcoming events (re: got beat down by Pandora and had no clue how dreamer worked last event). I've only ever played against Leveticus once and learned that you simply don't take assassinate against him especially when all you have is the Kaeris Box Set. My opponent is a fairly adept player, enjoyable guy to play against, and taught me the game just over a year ago.

He announces Outcast and I take my trusty Arcanist and we flip shared Contain Power . . .and at this point I'm figuring at best I might be able to get my schemes but there is no way I'm going to be able to take down Leveticus with this strategy.

My List

Mei Feng with 8ss

Emberling

Kaeris

Student of Conflict

6 steam punk arachnids (the small swarming variety)

Rail Golem

Gun Smith

Schemes: Sabotage (yep, I needed the two easy points); Grudge unannounced on Rotten Belle

His List

Leveticus no idea what his cache was

Rusty Alice

Ashes and Dust

Jack Daw

Necro Punk

Steampunk abomination (SPA)

Rotten Belle

Canine remains

Watcher

Schemes: Stake a Claim on a 2 story building in my deployment, and Leveticus' Die and Respawn

Terrain: We're lucky to have an awesome FLGS that with fantastic terrain. There's already a table set up with building surrounding the border and a large town square set up with boxes and a fountain in the middle. Diagonal deployment this is my view of the table [ / ]

Setup

I'm spread across my deployment zone with Mei in my left lower end with the six spiders and the emberling, the rail golem is positioned off by himself mid zone and Kaeris, the student and the Gun Smith are poised in the top right inside a ruined two story building.

Leveticus bunches up with Rusty Alice, canine remains, and SPA in the top left corner and Jack daw floating somewhere in the middle with the watcher over by Kaeris. Necro punk is position on top of the buildings to the left and ready to leap over a gap to move into position for stake a claim or at least to ruin my sabotage attempt.

"Ramos wants me to do WHAT!? I've heard that there's no way to kill that old man he just keep rising from the dead, and have you seen those creepy girls following him around? Hey Kaeris do you remember what happened last time you saw him?" -Mei

"Ummmmm . . . I'd rather not talk about it"-Kaeris

"Didn't he beat your face in and all that was left was one of your fire gamin?" -Mei

"I SAID I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!" -Kaeris

Turn 1 Mei Sabotages, Leveticus Dies . . .and comes back, Kaeris makes friends with Jack Daw

Is surprisingly eventful with the canine remain getting sac'd to summon hollow waif #2, Kaeirs takes fast and attempts to shoot down the watcher before realizing that his immune to influence completely cuddles her immolate. She then gets lured down by the belle and Jack daw floats over to make sure no one is cheating. Ashes and dust moves in and takes a swing at Kaeris causing a few wounds and picking up a burning token.

The emberling links to Mei and seismic punches Mei and the spider ball forward the spiders span out with three pushing middle and three pushing to the left towards my sabotage building. Mei bounces off the spiders with casting expert, walks up to the building and sabotages it at the end of the turn.

Rail Golem moves toward the middle of the table and fails to do anything except gain 2 burning tokens

The Gun Smith attempts to shoot into combat and hits Jack Daw once doing nothing and Kaeris the second time which then gets cheated down so the shot misses. There's a big swirling cloud of dust . . .can it really be that hard to hit? Apparently yes as this seemed to be how the Gun Smith behaved the rest of the game.

"Mei . . . why did you sabotage the bakery?" -Gun Smith

"I've been trying to get even with them ever since they messed up my favorite Orange Kolaches *mutters under her breath to the steam punk arachnid* That'll teach them to think they can use regular oranges instead of Mandarin. Oh sure, they say you can't taste the difference, but I can!"

Turn 2-3 Mei makes a run for it, Leveticus dies again . . .and comes back

So I manage to get initiative as Kaeris is now staring down Jack, Ashes and Leveticus. So she activates misses both shots against Ashes and fails to put a flame wall. Chalk up one epic fail to Kaeris. She then miraculously survives Ashes and Jack and is down to one wound. Leveticus shambles over and attempts to turn her into a hollow waif but fails on the spell and I realize that I can declare to take a wound with smoldering heart effectively killing myself (not sure how legit that is) so he decides to let the spell fizzle. The Gun Smith again shots into the Ashes Kaeris Jack melee and hits Kaeris both times . . . really? She's on FIRE, just shot anything that's not on fire and you'll be fine.

The Rail Golem meanders up the field and managed to walk then charge (love burning tokens) the SPA who get's knocked aside and I manage to charge the Belle! I'm excited because I might actually pull off the unannounced Grudge, but alas the Golem fails to taker her out with his two attacks but leaves her with just one or two remaining (down to 1 burning token), Rusty Alice decides to beat on the Golem twice causing a wound each time (heating up now at 3) then pulls some booby traps out of her bag of tricks. The Belle activates and attempt to move far enough away from the Alice and hits the Golem (4 :) ) but ends her activation still within three inches of Alice and gets killed . . . doh!

The spiders surge middle and middle left to give Mei a nice little bouncing platform towards the action and towards the waifs. She launchs into the necro punk that's come down from the building to attack the spiders. She drops a Jack Hammer kick into a bad ass pose. And takes one more swipe at him to no avail. Fortunately for me Mei is now in the top left half of the board and both hollow waifs are very close to striking distance next turn.

Kaeris dies during the end step to some crazy rule Ashes and Dust has but at least she doesn't get turned into anything. Leveticus now reappears about 4-5in from Mei, so he'll have the opportunity to do something while still hiding the waifs in nearby ruined buildings and in the back alley behind the one Mei is currently standing in front of and he is standing at the corner of. It seems pretty obvious that there is quite a wall between my models and his waifs and I'm pretty sure Mei is going to eat it next turn

"Has anyone seen Kaeris?"-Mei

"HEY MEI, I shot this thing that was on fire! Oh it was so cool, there was some guy with a nose around his neck and a big swirling cloud. I did good huh Mei?" -Gun Smith

*FACE PALM*-Mei

Turn 3 (maybe 4 at this point it's all running together) or Why Mei Feng is a trigger badass and Leveticus Dies again . . .

Fate shines upon me and I flip an 11 for initiative and manage to hold onto it despite him burning a soul stone for a reflip. I suddenly realize that there may be a small glimmer of hope here and I could at least have one turn where Leveticus either a) dies because I kill him or B) becomes so wounded that he is really limited on what he can do.

The Emberling activates and companions to Mei and Seismic punches her towards Leveticus and out of combat with the necro punk. He then moves into base because of link and hits Leveticus for one wound and a burning token which was so key. Mei now takes charge and has paired attack with a positive damage flip and starts to wreck shop on Leveticus' face and triggers vent steam and superheat off the first attack also severe damage :) The second attack he lets me pull off, I cheat in a mask to trigger her push plus a bonus attack and she kills Leveticus out right. I push the two inches into Rusty Alice and proceed to flip a mask on the attack. I have the lower total but opt to burn a soulstone to keep the crazed tiger going. She damages her and leaves a burning token then pushes into the SPA who Mei hits, again I cheat in a mask and kill the SPA and push back into Alice to finish her off which I manage to do. It's at this point I remember I get to draw cards when Mei goes all badass raging tiger and rips out someone's heart . . . so I get one card but hey I've cleared the entire upper left portion of the table and freed up the rail golem.

Ashes and the necro punk go to town on the spiders . . .another SPA is spawned from a downed spider. 3 of the spiders swarm together and start beating on Ashes and Dust. Jack Daw floats over towards Mei.

The Golem activates and double walks towards the waifs and manages to get into melee range of both of them (6 burning tokens) busts out pain train to get ractivate and uses his last burning token to attempt to hit a hollow waif in the face. I'm fairly sure I missed with my attack or flipped the black joker for damage. The Golem reactivates (back up to 1) and proceeds to dismember both hollow waifs with his Iron Girder of Doom™

It's at this point I realize that I've managed to do something I've only dreamed of . . . seeing Leveticus die and actually stay DEAD! Because he got scratched up by Mei i get 4vps which pushes me up to 6. My opponent at best can get 4 if he's able to off Mei. We call it a game at this point, both of us simply amazed at what has happened and I walk away feeling that much more impressed by Mei's tiger fury trigger.

"Hey Golem, quit dancing over there and make youself useful. Why don't you go drag Kaeris' limp body back home . . .No No NO don't carry her, I said drag for a reason, you don't know where she's been" -Mei

"Mei? Hey Mei, why do you look so tired and what was with you running around making tiger sounds earlier?" -Gun Smith

"What? You don't like my tiger sounds?"

In between fits of coughing up blood "Your tiger sounds suck" -Kaeris

*Pouting* "I thought my tiger sounds were cool" -Mei

Edited by bfrench

• 1 month later...

so a few things for your future reference.

if you only have one wound left you can not use burning heart since it would kill you and you can not kill yourself with a set number of wounds unless otherwise specified (aka Leveticus)

link is a nice ability but at no time does the emberling snap to Mei in its own activation. link says when ever the linked model walks or ends it activation push into base contact.

seismic punch is not a walk its a push, hence why you disengaged from necro punk with out a Blocking Strike.(disengaging strike)

but i did like the read. and the quotes make me laugh.