SC's new Malifaux painting thread (post-switch to white)

SpiralngCadavr

edit: this started as a thread for my Neverborn crew in the works, but, well, that didn't immediately happen, so it's transitioned into an "all things Wyrd" thread...

Well, after a bit of a hiatus, I managed to finally put together a blog entry for my Lord Chompy Bits model with a little background, but, for those of you who'd rather just look at some bigger pics...

main.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by SpiralngCadavr
  • Like 5

It is lovely. Really, reall lovely.

Now this may make me odd, and I'm not saying its wrong in any way, but did you light it from one side (which accentuates the light effect you look to have painted in)?

I'd actually like to see it under more diffuse light, maybe even with a mid grey backdrop or something, so I can see the actual paintwork more easily. Especially since it looks like you had the effect down without the dramatic lighting as far as I can see! Not criticising the shots you've got, but if I could convince you to indulge me and take a natural light shot or two as well so I can admire the paintwork by itself I'd be a happy chap!

Feel free to tell me I'm being a pain and to stuff off, cos these are lovely shots of a fantastic piece. But I get this niggling feeling the lighting is hiding some of the skill of your brushwork and I want to peek!

Thanks, everyone!

Mako, the light was a little unbalanced, but that's just because of my photo training (one source at around half strength (actually, more like 3/4 because my setup isn't that refined) to keep the volume looking good. The light is actually pretty diffuse, shot it in a soft box.

Regarding seeing it on a different background, I took a few pics on a white background, to see how it looked (because I did want to show how it looked on another BG, and even had a composition for the competition I entered it in, and just felt like it took away too much from the atmosphere. Also, the pics generally didn't come out as good (not great focus and I didn't like the color (I think the white reflected off the screen... either way, it looked a little washed out)). Also, my only screens are B/W/R/G/B... grey would be nice to have, it might have worked nicely (good thought).

Here's the best pic I had from the lighter attempts, not much work cropping it and resizing, so no worries :)

white.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome, cheers for that! Yeah, white can really wash stuff out if you're not careful. And something like this beast is even harder to do! I'm going to pick up a few different greys I think, when you want true colours for things like WIP advice pale is easier I find (so long as you avoid the washout problem). But as it's a night scene dark grey or black is the most fitting and makes it more natural looking.

It does lose a lot of the atmosphere on the white, the black looked really dramatic. But the white does show quite how impressive your OSL is on it, and your attention to detail. Looking at it on both backgrounds, I'm even more impressed! Serious, serious skills there...

Thanks again, everyone!

Mako, yeah, I almost always use white-- I used to use a gradient maks, but found it was too much of a pain to control, with little reward. But, this was the first time when I fully recognized how much the white can blow out some colors. I hadn't thought about dark grey, I think that'll be the next photo thing I need to pick up.

Do you think I should have done a collage involving one (or some) white backdrops, or gone with the pure black collage?

Definitely the pure black, it is a night scene after all. White looks a little odd!

I only like seeing white as well because I'm always curious about how people painted stuff and it makes it easier to pick out. Nosy little sod that I am *grin*.

Finished pieces, I'm learning, belong on whichever backdrop suits the scene best. It's early days for me with the grey and black backdrops so I'm still on guesswork as to what works when! When I do my snipers, I'll post up several different backdrops to see how they all work out. Let me know how the grey goes if you get to try it.

Cool, hopefully I'll see your snipers (I find that I very erratically check painting forums, so miss a ton of stuff :( ).

Will do, re: grey backdrop-- the only problem is, the other ones all came with the kit, so I'm hoping I can find something compatible, but am not certain... I really like the material these are made of, as it's got a very tight/clean weave that's pretty durable and easy to dust when needed.

• 1 month later...

I wish I could change the thread heading... well, this is where my new Malifaux stuff will live, post-switch to a white basecoat.

First, for those work blocked (just for you, Alf :P), the whole crew in another non-blogspot upload:

[spolier]465852_md-Malifaux%2C%20Resurrectionists%2C%20Ten%20Thunders%2C%20Wyrd%2C%20Yan%20Lo.jpg

And, individual pics:

izamu.jpg

ashigaru.jpg

chiaki.jpg

punk+zombies.jpg

yan+lo.jpg

and finally a link to my blog, with a little more info: http://spiralingcadaver.blogspot.com/2013/02/dark-paths-yan-lo-malifaux.html

edit... hmm, i guess wyrd's forums don't take spoiler tags...

• Like 1

Thanks! Izamu and the ashigaru were a lot of fun to paint... really solid details there, and some great translations from the illustrations.

As a change of pace, puppet wars. I already put up the ressers in another thread, but am trying to consolidate my work on one thread now, and reshot them on black. The arcanists are new, though, and I'm quite happy with both groups.

(Also, another link to more info: link!

tall.jpg

tall.jpg

• Like 2