[Guild Hazing, pt 1] McCabe vs. Lady Justice

Jonas Albrecht

Once a week, for the next few weeks, we'll be pitting the newb McCabe against the Guild masters, one by one, with their best strategies. Our job will be to come up with McCabe lists and schemes to pit against and defeat Lady J, Sonnia, etc. The only restriction is no Avatars, since McCabe don't got one. For the purpose of this exercise, McCabe is Guild. No 10 Thunders hoohocky.

But first, a disclaimer:

This is just for fun. None of this is meant as a critique of your favorite masters, of Malifaux, or Wyrd. Nor is this meant to be a tactica. It's just us Guild fans Theoryfauxing some fake battles for poops and giggles.

So, first up, Lady Justice!

Lady Justice

Minions: Death Marshals

Key Figures: I'll let someone who knows Lady J better make some suggestions.

Strategy: Shared Slaughter

Post your McCabe lists and your take on the battle, and I'll edit them into the first post.

Edited by Jonas Albrecht

This is McCabe announced as a Guild Master? So no 10T stuff?

And what is McCabe's strategy? Or is it Shared Slaughter?

My preliminary as Guild with Shared:

Guild Crew - 35 - Scrap

Lucas McCabe
--
5 Pool

+ Relic: Hunter's Cloak [1ss]

+ Relic: Strangemetal Shirt [3ss]

Drill Sergeant [3ss]

• Guild Austringer
    [5ss]

• Guild Rifleman
    [4ss]

• Guild Rifleman
    [4ss]

• Sidir Alchibal
    [8ss]

• Wastrel
    [4ss]

• Wastrel
    [4ss]

Edited by dgraz

3ss seems like a mistake with LJ. While not the hungriest master for stones in the game, her Def is low enough that being able to bump a flip up by a whole extra card is very useful. The Greatsword's built in positive twist is great, can save you tons of cards/stones by only needing to win with anything but a direct tie and still be able to cheat in most cases, but while her WD count is solid, she's not untouchable when it comes to avoiding attacks outright. (Perdita, I'm looking at you)

Also, I haven't had a chance to use it much, but I'd skip the Exorcist. Mostly short range and pretty slow (I believe it's a 3/- that can take 1 WD to move another 3", meaning that at the cost of a WD it's barely any faster than the average 4/6 guild model).

Maybe trade him for a Brutal Effigy (not terribly fast but SS'less healing can be very nice) and 2 extra stones? A 5 pool might still be a bit short, but it'd be a bigger buffer than 3.

What abut a Warden instead of the Austringer? Could be good to get Paralyse off on her, or crew members.

My idea is that McCabe will be the one handing out Slow and Paralyzed...in fact, that should be all he is doing at the start of the game. He would be the distraction, running around...luring models into chasing him into range of the rifles.....slowing models to break-up the advance. The Wastrels will also mainly be distractions....I'm thinking one with the knife and one with the elixir....in retrospect, since the idea is to have McCabe not really in combat, give him the relic that allows him to re-activate Black Sheep instead of the armor.

Sidir will hang out near the riflemen to provide melee support and another big gun....the Sarge will link to him to boost his melee and will buff the shooting........Austringer should be nearby for the buff also.

The Austringer should target Lady J....which should force the opponent to attempt to engage the block of guns or just get picked apart....the opponent will probably come at them in force....that's when McCabe does as much Slowing as possible and let the guns do their job.

Once Lady J is weakened or gone McCabe should be able to mop-up.

It would help if we could theorise what Lady J is likely to take. I'd say some Witchling Stalkers (to remove paralyse/slow), Judge and some Death Marshals. Now, based on that assumption I'd suggest McCabe's crew would be designed for long term harassment. Try to paralyse/slow Lady J and take out the minions in the meantime. Then take her down when she doesn't have the support.

I'd suggest Sidir to take out Stalkers at a distance and maybe some of my own to plug up Lady J with the explosions. Then some Wastrels for backstabbing. I'm worried about Riflemen as I'd expect Lady J to hide until attacking them without LoS. I'd rather have a Watcher maybe and the Brutal Effigy?

Lucas McCabe - strangemetal shrt, invigorating bridle (6 cache)

Brutal Effigy

Sidir Alchibal

Witchling Stalker

Witchling Stalker

Wastrel

Wastrel

Watcher

Probably complete £&%# but then again I'm not terrible experienced.

I'm no guild expert, so take this with a pinch of Salt, but if I was Fielding a lady Justice crew in a Guild V Guild Slaughter I think I would have the following list

Lady Justice

Lucius

Executioner

Nino

Austringer

Desperate Merc.

My reasons are

1 I want as high a pool as possible. Firstly Lucius and Lady Justice are very hard to kill with a high pool, and secondly, a high pool means I have fewer points of Minions to be killed. I want to Maximise the ripost trigger.

2 The Executioner is very hard to kill if he can get into melee. Whilst thats not always the easiest against guild, my picks of Nino and Austringer should mean that my opponent can't afford to hang back.

3 Lucius does 2 things very well in this list. Firstly he is very hard to kill. With his Govonors Authority and slow to die healing, I think most crews will struggle to earn his slaughter points. Secondly he allows my main melee components of Justice and an executioner to get to the fight without havign to face a wall of firepower.

The Merc is there as I had 2 soulstone left. And he puts my opponents on a clock to gain his points. If they haven't killed him by the start of turn 3 I can sacrifice him without costing me slaughter points.

Edit

Will add my McCabe answer to this list shortly when I've worked it out

Edited by Adran

First off, I've yet to use the new guild models.

McCabe

Invigoratign Bridal and Strange metal shirt

Nino

Wastral

Sidir

Pale Rider

Austringer.

Expectign to play against Lady Justice I would want to keep a strong and mobile shooting force.

Nino is good for killing as is the Austringer even when they are safe. And when they areen't they can escape from combat

The Pale Rider can put out decent damage, but more importantly he can move away from combat at little cost to him.

Sidir is a guess, but I think he ought to be tricky to kill with his defense buff and healing, and his gun provides a mid range of damage.

I would use the wastral to sneak up on enemy shooters, making sure I bypassed their combat minions. I would use the strange metal blade and hope to kill someone like Nino or an austringer by leaving his activation until then end of a turn, and try and secret passage to be in base contact with them. Then next turn hope the backstab would get them.

I would use the armour and the healing on McCabe as that should keep him alive the longest. He would be aiming at slowing down as much of the enemy force as possible, to allow his own sides shooting to bring them down.

I contemplated a second wastral instead of either Nino or Austringer, who would eb tasked with a similar job to the first but with the bullet.

A possible role might be the unkillable castoff and just try and stop their front line for a turn. But until I've seen that in play I'm not going to recomend it. (Would be good to have when you kill the Executioner).