Making Yan Lo Work [Beginner Help Thread]

IntereoVivo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you only have to finish the individual levels of a path before starting another one... so if you put chi in some level2 of a path you cannot put the next chi into something else until you complete the current started level.

This statement seems a bit confusing to me as you can definately move along different Chi paths at the same time (picking and choosing which you spend your Chi points in). You can not however skip Chi levels within the path, i.e. you can't take level 2 path of Spirit unless you have unlocked level 1 path of Spirit, or level 3 path of Bone without both level 1 and 2 of Path of Bone.

hi guys quick question as im getting a little confused with chi, from my reading of the book he has to fully finish a path before moving onto another, where as in some podcasts and threads i;ve seen people talking about dipping into a couple of paths without finishing one?

You can dip into any path.. the important thing is you can't put Chi in Level 2 of a Path till you have finished Level 1.

So I could put 1 Chi into Path of Bone to finish level 1.. then another Chi to start level 2. I could then decide that I needed defence so put a Chi into Path of Ash... This is fine.. I can't however start level 3 of Bone until level 2 is finished.

I take it you don't get the bonus from level two until you put both chi points in it? S in your example ratty, you get the level one effect, but don't get the level two as it's not full (only one of two chi). You wouldn't get the effects until you went back and put the second chi point in?

I take it you don't get the bonus from level two until you put both chi points in it? S in your example ratty, you get the level one effect, but don't get the level two as it's not full (only one of two chi). You wouldn't get the effects until you went back and put the second chi point in?

Correct.. until you do that Chi point is doing nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Got to play my first game with Yan Lo and crew yesterday. Lost soundly to a Mei Feng list.

Shared Slaughter, I took Assassinate (Mei Feng) and Bodyguard (Yan Lo). We were fighting over a creepy structure in the Hag's Swamp.

I was running:

Yan Lo

Soul Porter

Chiaki, The Niece

3x Ashigaru

Rotten Belle

Izamu, The Armor

5SS, 3 Chi

vs

Mei Feng

Emberling

Karis

Metal Gamin

Rail Golem

Kang

8SS

Over all I got trashed pretty hard. Wiped off the board by turn 5. Having never played against Mei I was not prepared for her ability to get to my back line and as a result of moving up to fast and not blocking as well as I could have turn two saw her kill two Ashigaru and the Soul Porter. Karis also put a whopping 18 wounds on the 3 Ashigaru, Izamu and Chiaki at the beginning of turn 2 due to bad positioning on my part (I though her wall of flames stayed around...turns out it doesn't). None of this was helped by the fact that I forgot my Ashigaru are Object 1. However, I feel like I got a good sense of what the Path of Bone is capable of and I'm really looking forward to getting some more games in with Yan Lo. Playing against Mei Feng again I'll probably drop the Ashigaru as their Wall of Steel doesn't actually help against her and I could have used the extra points for stuff that would have actually helped. Made lots of mistakes and flipped a game breaking Black Joker but it was still fun :)

Thanks for all the information here... I'm still waiting for my birthday sale stuff to arrive but I'm planning on how I'm going to play him...

Since most people are seeming to be running the boxed set and nothing that can't be used as 10 Thunders do you all see a reason to go Resser over 10T?

If you want to use canine remains or night terrors then go rezzers. There a equivalents available to 10T but if you dont have the models (i.e. desp mercs or 10t bros for example) then it may be easier to get started with him as a rezzer solely because you have cheap models and objective grabbers is the canine and night terrors.

Honestly, no.

I'm running him as Ressers for now, but I think he would do better as 10T as you would gain access to good ranged support while losing none of his good options. I'm building some 10T Archers right now and will be picking up some Torikage as well as a 10T Brother to give him a try as a 10T master.

I've had a lot of success running the following 35ss list:

Yan Lo (6 stones, 1 chi)

Soul Porter

Izamu

Chiaki

2 Ashigaru

2 Drowned

The Drowned are great because they can weaken your opponent's guys pretty easily so that Yan Lo can have an easier time getting his Weight Trigger off. They're meant to die and get converted into chi themselves as the game progresses. You can also use them to get objectives well also. Izamu is a true beater and I like being able to adapt Yan on the go to fit the needs of the crew. In my last game against Lady Justice Yan had completed 3 levels in all 3 paths and would have completed a path if Lady Justice hadn't gotten really lucky (charge and severe for charge damage then a red joker + severe on the 2nd hit. Plus I had 2 13s in my hand buy flipped aces for the add soulstones on my defense both times). Still won the game 8-0 but was hilarious watching poor Yan pay the price right before Izamu finished off Justice.

Edited by emissary

Honestly, no.

I'm running him as Ressers for now, but I think he would do better as 10T as you would gain access to good ranged support while losing none of his good options. I'm building some 10T Archers right now and will be picking up some Torikage as well as a 10T Brother to give him a try as a 10T master.

<cough> Torakage in your face <cough> swap with Yin <cough> anathema...

Finally got to try a different sort of list that I've wanted to try with Yan Lo:

Ressurectionists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Yan Lo
--
8 Pool

Soul Porter [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Chiaki, the Niece
    [5ss]

• Izamu, the Armor
    [10ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

I took 3 points from my Pool to immediately give myself 3 Chi that I spent on Level 1 on each of the paths.

The basic intention is simple, move as a horde and suck up Chi as fast as possible.

We were playing a strategy that is similar to Shared Claim Jump where we were trying to control a bridge that was on the center of the board...

You can see one edge of it in the left here:

post-4968-13911927202064_thumb.jpg

What I learned is 3 things...

1. My son should have read his McCabe card more carefully as he forgot about the ability to add defense for each thing he is melee with! (d'oh!)

2. McCabe is a freaking TANK! Man... Took a while for Izamu and 3 flurrying Necropunks to take him out...

3. A Chi Fed Yan Lo is just... Awesome...

This is the far side with my son's new riflemen ready to tear apart anything I try to get onto the bridge:

post-4968-13911927201698_thumb.jpg

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Except...

Yan Lo's Path of bone Fragile Bonds...

Yan Lo come flinging across the bridge as part of pushes from 2 "Fragile Bonds" actions...

The second of which ends with a strike that I have the trigger for Hunpo assault.

That wipes out TWO of the rifleman.

I still have 2 Melee MASTER actions to burn, so wipe out the remaining rifleman with it and have a leftover melee strike and no one to use it on ... So, I actually have a melee specific AP that I have nothing to do with AFTER killing 4 models in one activation. :)

Happy...

EDIT: Forgot I use Weight of Ages, removed it from "leftover" AP.

Edited by Gruesome

Did you keep in mind that when you use Fragile Bonds it has to be towards a wounded model? I mean, Lo is a bloody beast, but it's an important detail and I sort of doubt that with your list you managed to nick any of the riflemen to go there.

Fathers have to gain whatever edge they can against their son's which includes reading only the first part of an ability :)

There was a wounded wastrel at the half way point on the bridge that I used as initial target. (You can see him with a dog corpse at his feet on the bridge in second photo)

And forgot that I actually did use weight of ages on a rifleman from there before fragile bonding into them.

So, actually, Yan killed 4 people that activation... I forgot about the wastrel on the way. :)

As a side note on Fragile Bonds Then you may make a strike.

The last sentence of the ability right out of the book (unless the actual card reads different) states This model then performs a Khakkhara Strike at the end of the move.

It's doesnt list the strike as a May

If in fact the card reads the same does this ability fail if you are unable to make a strike at the end of the move?

"This model pushes up to its Cg toward enemy model that has suffered 1 or more Wd. This model then performs a Khakkara Strike at the end of the move."
Doesn't say May. However, I'd say that part of performing a Strike is checking if it you're in range or not, so you'd perform the range check and then make the strike if you're in range or not. Just like a normal Cg. Edited by LupusFerreus